Sign in with
Your question

Usb ext hdd freeze when transfer files?

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2010 3:42:49 PM

when i tried to transfer 1GB file to my ext hdd, the file at beginning will transfer at 20Mbps. then suddenly at middle it just hang and ntg happens and the word "copying" remained. i tried several other type of files with almost similar size also the same, thx

my ext hdd is NTFS, same as my int HDD.i even try transfer files from another PC, still the same prob.
a b G Storage
December 10, 2010 9:19:57 PM

Could be the ext HDD's controller. First, make a backup of all the files that you want to save, just in case. Then, run a check disk with the following parameters:
chkdsk x: /f/r
where x is that drive's letter as shown in explorer. It will take a good while to finish that, depending on the HDD's size. Then, you can run a cleanup on it, followed by a defrag.
This would conclude a check/repair on that HDD. Try to repeat the transfer as you described.
If still problems, the controller is even more likely to be the culprit. You can get another enclosure and put that HDD in there. I personally use a Thermaltake blacx, is like an open enclosure that allows for swapping HDD as needed (not hot-swapping, but still very convenient). It's a SATA enclosure, so make sure you get one that fits your HDD interface (IDE or SATA).
Get back to us if stuck .
!