Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom II X4 940 BE and Corsair H50 high temps

Last response: in Overclocking
February 6, 2011 3:52:56 AM

I recently "upgraded" my cooler to a Corsair H50 (I was tired of my loud Zalman CNPS 9700 NT + Antec Tricool 120mm rear fan)

Well now my computer is a lot quieter, but my temps did not improve! They actually got worse (About 10C higher than my Zalman setup)

While I'm typing this my temps are around 47-50C
When I'm playing games my temps reach 57-60C
These temperature readings are from Core Temp.

My vcore is set to 1.375

I have the single Corsair fan setup as an exhaust (not intake) since my Sonata case has poor ventilation.
AMD Cool n' Quiet is turned off. The fan and pump have full power and are running at their max RPM.
The pump/heatsink is seated correctly.

1) First of all, are these higher temps normal? I was expecting to have the same or better performance as my Zalman.
2) Is it possible my H50 defective?
3) Anyone with similar specs experiencing the same thing?

Any input is appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (3.4ghz@1.375v)
FAN: CORSAIR H50
MOBO: MSI 785GT-E63
RAM: 4GB OCZ GOLD XTC DDR2 800 (4x1GB Dual Channel)
PSU: Corsair HX 650W
GPU: XFX Radeon 5770
CASE: Antec Sonata III
February 6, 2011 5:46:26 AM

I did. So you're saying the H50 isn't good.

I'm not expecting much. My overclock is modest.

So do you think my temps are normal then and my H50 is performing how it should?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 1:06:09 PM

The H50 is OK but it needs good case airflow and preferably to be an intake not an exhaust. High end air coolers are as good or better and don't have such issues with the rest of the setup as cases are designed to be used with them.
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 1:06:59 PM

Forgot to say those temps are very high and you want to sort something out with them.
m
l
February 6, 2011 3:46:30 PM

simon12 said:
Forgot to say those temps are very high and you want to sort something out with them.

Thanks for your reply. I felt my temps were high as well.

Can anyone recommend a better cooler? It just needs to be quiet and be able to fit inside my case.
m
l
February 6, 2011 8:40:58 PM

Can anyone vouch for a Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B cooler?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:06:40 AM

I have not used that one but many people recommend it. Even the cheaper hyper 212+ should be good for a phenom x4.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 1:03:34 PM

Quote:
I did. So you're saying the H50 isn't good.

I'm not expecting much. My overclock is modest.

So do you think my temps are normal then and my H50 is performing how it should?

1. Correct.

2. Not expecting much/not getting much from the H50 is a good mindset to have.

3. Unless you have an issue with TIM, it's likely about as good as it will get without adding high CFM fans in push/pull on the rad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H50 isn't a very viable alternative to good air coolers; it performs on par or worse (as you have discovered) while costing more.

I suggest going with the XSPC Rasa for CPU only @ $130, or stick with a quality air cooler.

High-end watercooling to start at $200+ for CPU only.
m
l
February 8, 2011 3:35:21 AM

Quote:
Mugen-2 is the best cooler for the money right now imo. Only downside is that it is big in all directions and requires a degree in physics, along with two asians to mount it. Hyper 212+ is pretty much in the same boat but smaller and with a bleh stock fan. I don't know about its mounting system

Lots of space = mugen-2
really small budget or tight space =Hyper212+

Also hear the noctua dual fan one is very good but for the price and size it doesn't seem worth the 1-3C difference it could or could not make.

I'm really interested in the Mugen 2 but I'm not sure if it will fit in my case. I have a Antec Sonata III. Thanks for your input.

Will the Hyper212+ give me better performance than my Zalman CNPS 9700NT? I can change out the stock fan with a quieter Scythe.
m
l
February 8, 2011 3:40:15 AM

Quote:
1. Correct.

2. Not expecting much/not getting much from the H50 is a good mindset to have.

3. Unless you have an issue with TIM, it's likely about as good as it will get without adding high CFM fans in push/pull on the rad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H50 isn't a very viable alternative to good air coolers; it performs on par or worse (as you have discovered) while costing more.

I suggest going with the XSPC Rasa for CPU only @ $130, or stick with a quality air cooler.

High-end watercooling to start at $200+ for CPU only.

Thanks for the suggestion, but $130 is out of my price range. I just need something quieter than my Zalman CNPS 9700NT but at the same time have the same cooling performance or better.
m
l
February 8, 2011 7:28:24 AM

Quote:
Definitely. Zalman coolers look nice, but as you can see from almost every cooler the new "in" is the big bulky standup ones with lots of fins in shapes/squared off. Instead of a rounded cooler. I hated my 9700NT with passion. It looked so nice, but in the end it was a very big waste of money. Now my Mugen-2 doesn't look as nice as it does industrial, but I don't regret this purchase at all, nor would I if it were a hyper212+. It's just plain better. the Performa series is way overpriced or I'd suggest that as well. The two I listed are just simply the best for the money right now. If you want to get near to the best of the best, get a venemous X or go water.

Thanks, well the Hyper 212 Plus sounds really good. I'll try and find a better, quieter fan for it.
m
l
February 8, 2011 8:09:08 AM

Quote:
I mean if you can fit the mugen-2 I would absolutely get that. but if not then yeah the hyper.

Yeah I want the Mugen 2 but I don't think it will fit.
Does anyone know if the Scythe Mugen 2 will fit inside an Antec Sonata III case?
m
l
February 8, 2011 6:20:48 PM

Well, Scythe Ninja 3 is a little smaller than Mugen 2 and performs as good or slighlty better. Should also be a little cheaper.
m
l
February 8, 2011 6:41:25 PM

I read a single review that said the Mugen 2 fits in the Sonata III case. I'm going to get it.

I'm also thinking about replacing the rear exhaust and front intake fans:

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E (1200 RPM) - front intake

Should I get the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F (1600 RPM) or another S-FLEX E (1200 RPM) for the rear exhaust fan?
m
l
February 13, 2011 1:23:45 AM

Best answer selected by tacocat.
m
l
!