Old packard bell (1986?)

G

I have an old packard bell computer with an intel celeron processor and I'm practicing for a computer repair class. Can anyone tell me how to remove the processor? Can't find a service manual anywhere.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It can't be from 1986 because the celeron processor didn't exist then.I think that the first celeron series processor came out sometime in late 1998 or so.It was during the Intel Pentium 2 era and Intel wanted a budget CPU to compete with AMD's K6-2 budget CPU.The Pentium 2 was pricey.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Give the kid break l33t kid. Everybody must start somewhere.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah, you had to really know your stuff back in those days. These days, anyone could be a technician with only a modicum of training.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an old packard bell computer with an intel celeron processor and I'm practicing for a computer repair class. Can anyone tell me how to remove the processor? Can't find a service manual anywhere.

Flip the lever and lift the processor out of the socket of your late 1990's machine.

Don't have a clue really what the thing has in it, but if it is an earlier model, and does not have a ZIF socket with a lever, they made a small tool that looks like a little rake. You would slide it under 1 side of the CPU, and gently lever the CPU up out of the socket a little. Then go to the opposite side and do the same a agian, working back and forth a little at a time until the processor was free from the socket. You can do this with a small screwdriver, a knife blade, etc. Anything small enough to get under the edge of the CPU. Just be very careful to only move the processor up in very, very small increments working around, or back and forth. If you try to lever up too much on anyside at one time, you may bend or even break the pins on the processor. Raise it evenly, small bits at a time.
Good luck!

Edit: Of course, you have to remove the heatsink before you can do anything...if it has one.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
hey im still getting the faint smell of a troll. come on. repair class old machine. doesnt know about a celeron................. troll guys. In any case it doesnt seem as if any skills are really avaliable to this pup. EVERY SINGLE SOCKET is easily opened for removal of a processor. Even way back when. EXCEPT INTEGRATED!!!! If aperson does not have the brains to look it over REAL careful like and find the screw clips or whatever, that person does not have any business working on a PC. Repair class or not!!!! Talent to have good spatial intelligence to observe your surroundings and make adjustments, figure out how things come apart and go together are inherited not learned in a class. If you cannot figure out how a CPU is removed from its socket, PC repair is not for you. Nor is any other type of repair field. It would be best that you found a new career, that does not require alot of spatial manipulation.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Now here is a possibility. This machine may not be a Celeron. It could be an old packard bell with a 80386 or 8088 Intel integrated processor. In this case it will not remove from its socket. These processors were soldered to the motherboard. If this is your Computer, it is way toooooooo old to be considered a learning tool for class. Something at least 15 years newer is a must as technology has advanced toooooooooooooo far for the 8086-8088 series to be used to learn from.