Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Highest cpu clock with Cooler Master Hyper 212plus?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 9:49:53 AM

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum. But anways i was suppose to build a new system until they did a re-call on the new sandy bridge. I wanted to ask you guys that are using the Hyper 212 and was wondering whats the highest clock speed you can get with the 212? I live in California and it gets hot during the summer. Somewhere around 90-105F and i have no AC at my house. Also my case is the Lian-li 7FWB mid tower case with 3 140mm fans 3 intaking and 1 120mm exhaust. Also i'll be getting two 120mm Gelid Fans in a push pull setup on the hyper 212. But what max cpu clock can i get for instance on a i5 2500k? Thanks :) 

a c 197 K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 10:39:43 AM

Each CPU chip is a little different. There's no way of telling how fast you can push your chip under these conditions.

I will say that you need to keep a close eye on your temperatures. In the BIOS in the PC Health area, most motherboards will let you set a BIOS beep type warning when your CPU temps exceed a certain level.

I have my Core boards set for 70 C.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 1:48:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.. I just wanted to get an idea on what kind of clock speeds people are getting with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus. Especially with the Intel i5 2500k or 2600k.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 2:31:53 AM

I don't have a perfect seating with it by any means on my i7 2600K CPU, but I still have it overclocked to 4.5 ghz with a max of low 70s on Prime 95 & Intel Burn test load with that same cooler, but not under those ambient temp conditions you describe
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 5:50:13 AM

bearclaw99 said:
I don't have a perfect seating with it by any means on my i7 2600K CPU, but I still have it overclocked to 4.5 ghz with a max of low 70s on Prime 95 & Intel Burn test load with that same cooler, but not under those ambient temp conditions you describe

Do you think i'll be able to overclock a i5 2500k at 4.0ghz with the cooler master hyper 212 under my conditions?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:10:54 AM

You just need to try it, its not a hot running processor so there is a good chance.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 1:58:24 PM

I would add some exhaust fans to your case. You are supplying more air than you are removing. In your situation this means you are bringing in the warm ambient air to transfer the hardware heat to but not removing it quickly. With high ambient temps you may find having a more negative case pressure (remove more air) will lower your temps. As it is now you are using the 3 140's not only to bring air in but to create enough pressure to push the warm air out. The 1 120 can not move the volume of supplied air out.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 4:31:49 PM

Dogsnake said:
I would add some exhaust fans to your case. You are supplying more air than you are removing. In your situation this means you are bringing in the warm ambient air to transfer the hardware heat to but not removing it quickly. With high ambient temps you may find having a more negative case pressure (remove more air) will lower your temps. As it is now you are using the 3 140's not only to bring air in but to create enough pressure to push the warm air out. The 1 120 can not move the volume of supplied air out.

I always thought you get better air cooling from positive air pressure. But i'll try switching one of the top 140mm fan to exhaust or try both top 140mm fan as in exhaust.

Here is the case and top fan mods i have.

http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index...

http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index...
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 8:32:22 PM

I'm running:

Antec 300 - 2 stock case fans on low
Gigabyte P67 UD3
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ - single fan
Arctic Silver 5
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3ghz - OC'd at 4.5ghz 1.35v
8gb Corsair XMS3 1333mhz
5770 XFX Radeon HD 5770
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
64gb OCZ Vertex2

Temperatures:
Idling (Browsing chrome 4-5 tabs, Winamp) - 27 - 30 degrees celcius
Realistic Load (GTA 4) - 50 degrees celcius max
High realistic load (Maya 2011 mental ray batch rendering) - 58 degrees celcius max
Full Load (Prime95 blend) - 65 - 70 degrees celcius

Temperatures gauged with CPUID HwMonitor
Temperatures with Coretemp higher 2-3 degrees

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:03:26 PM

Also tried with case fans on high:

Idling - 23- 27
Full load (Prime 95) - 59 max
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:21:28 PM

Yes go with both top exhaust plus the rear. Hot air rises also, so go with the flow :) . In general the air flow directions are from front to back and bottom to top. I have my Notua cooler rotated to blow up into the top fan on my Antec 1200. You can get a rough idea of your air balance by adding up the cfm coming in and comparing to the total cfm exhaust. This is really a rough guide because the internal layout, case leakage, ect. affect the final air flow.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:55:00 PM

Dogsnake said:
Yes go with both top exhaust plus the rear. Hot air rises also, so go with the flow :) . In general the air flow directions are from front to back and bottom to top. I have my Notua cooler rotated to blow up into the top fan on my Antec 1200. You can get a rough idea of your air balance by adding up the cfm coming in and comparing to the total cfm exhaust. This is really a rough guide because the internal layout, case leakage, ect. affect the final air flow.

do you get better temps on your cooler when it's facing upwards and not the normal way out the back of the case?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:56:00 PM

Quote:
Also tried with case fans on high:

Idling - 23- 27
Full load (Prime 95) - 59 max

how hot is your room temps? im worried cause my house can get pretty humid with no ac during the summer because i live in California..
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:56:33 PM

Best answer selected by Bigmac80.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2011 2:44:59 AM

Never tested it both ways. I knew I had better open air clearance on the top where the case sits, so it was not even a question for me. Also I spent a lot of time researching optimal air flow and such. I have a i920 O.C'd to 4gh stable (prime 95 any setting 24 hrs and Intel burn test 20 passes 8 cores max setting) with temps no higher than 68c any core. You are correct in having a slight positive pressure for the case but all you need is 1%-5% differential in cfm to achieve it. When using air cooling even the best coolers can not do their job if you do not get the air out of the case quickly.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2011 3:39:34 AM

Dogsnake said:
Never tested it both ways. I knew I had better open air clearance on the top where the case sits, so it was not even a question for me. Also I spent a lot of time researching optimal air flow and such. I have a i920 O.C'd to 4gh stable (prime 95 any setting 24 hrs and Intel burn test 20 passes 8 cores max setting) with temps no higher than 68c any core. You are correct in having a slight positive pressure for the case but all you need is 1%-5% differential in cfm to achieve it. When using air cooling even the best coolers can not do their job if you do not get the air out of the case quickly.

i guess i'll find out when they re-release sandy bridge or release bulldozer lol..But i did get the case i wanted the lian-li lol..I've been stuck looking at Aircoolers all day...Im always changing on whichone to get..NH-D14 is to big for me so that's out of the question. I've been really looking at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus, Noctua NH-U12P, Prolimatech Megahalems and the Thermalright Venamous X.. They all look similar though lol. The Noctua though gives me the best deal because the fans alone are nearly 25bucks each and if i go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus the fans i want are 20bucks each so the price on the Noctua vs the Coolermaster is nearly the same. The Noctua U12P is $65.99 at some store called Central Computers out in san jose. But anyways thanks for the info.
m
l
March 23, 2011 10:34:51 PM

I'm running an i5-2500k with the cooler master hyper 212 using the thermal paste that came with it on an MSI p67-gd65 board and 1333mhz RAM:

I have already overclocked to 4.6 GHz while leaving all voltages on auto and my temp has only peaked at about 67 degrees celsius on a core while running prime95 and 100% load on each core... so just put the right amount of paste on: thin layer spread with plastic bag over finger onto the processor and pack the grooves of the heat sink with paste and finally just dab about 4 TINY specs of it on the 2 inner most copper tubes, then put as many cheap case fans as you can fit blowing air in, one exhaust on rear, also one fan on heat sink is plenty, and open all the expansion slots not in use for more air to escape. Bolt the sink down nice and tight as well and you should be good to go, oh and make sure you have maximized the rpms of the fans by removing obstructions and dust covers if necessary and so on.

That is 4.6GHz at 67 degrees...Hope this helps.

Ok just an update to make sure anyone reading this has all the information:

I have ran into a few stability issues after running prime for hours but they are not consistent and only seems to happen when all 4 cores have been at 100% utilization for hours and not always either. So what you want to do if you run into crashes/blue screens is up the voltage to allow it the power it needs to run stable. But you want to raise them the absolute minimum that you must in order to maintain stability so that you keep the temperatures as low as you can. HOWEVER, it is vital that you CLOSELY monitor the tempuratures when raising voltage because they are directly correlated... so raise voltages in the smallest possible increments while stress testing to make sure the temperatures never peak above a safe level.
If, while watching temperatures, there is any doubt in your mind that they might be getting a little high, then stop immediately and conduct research about it to make sure you are within safe ranges.

By the way, I am not saying that overclocking is safe nor am I recommending it. But this is just what I have found from doing hours upon hours of reading on it and it is what has worked for me.
m
l
!