Sign in with
Your question

Memory recognition XP pro 32bit

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Memory
October 15, 2009 8:32:05 PM

I have a PC running Win XP pro 32 bit with Asus P6T SE motherboard and an Intel i7 CPU.
I got two 2GB sticks of G-Skill DDR3 RAM.

However, when I check my system properties, it says 1.99 GB of RAM.

In BIOS it says
"System Memory
Usable Memory : 2040MB"

I thought maybe I had a bad memory stick so I ran Memtest86.
there were no errors found.

Like Asus recommended I had the sticks in slots A1 and B1.
I moved to A1 and C1 and then B1 and C1 and still only had 1.99GB

I read that it might be something with the chipset? or MB faulty slot?
Please help me if you can.

thanks

More about : memory recognition pro 32bit

a b } Memory
October 15, 2009 9:31:42 PM

Your BIOS and more importantly, the POST should report 4096GBs - not MBs which I assume is a typo. If you are seeing 2040MB somewhere, it doesn't refer to your system RAM. Windows should report between 2.75 and 3.5GBs of memory.

Well, you would normally get 3 modules of memory for a triple-channel motherboard like yours. Even though WinXP 32-bit will only address a little over 3GBs, the risk is that when you have a 64-bit OS that you wouldn't be able to exactly match the 2 modules that you have now and end up having to toss them. If you aren't familar with these terms and issues, let us know and someone will explain.

So most people would either get the 6GBs now or get 3 - 1GB modules. This would enable triple-channel. However, the MB manual seems to imply that it will work as dual-channel memory if only 2 or 4 modules are installed. Most people wouldn't be happy with losing the ability to use all 3 memory controllers - it's one big reason you buy a 1366 chipset motherboard.

Since you bought basically a dual-channel kit, it's possible that you bought one with a rated voltage over 1.65V. Please list the exact model number of the G.Skill RAM you got. Also report the BIOS revision you're running.

Motherboard page below - you should save and download EVERYTHING you find there.
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=t4yhK6y9W9o7iQ9E
m
l
October 15, 2009 9:46:36 PM

Thanks so much for the help Mongox.

I just double checked the BIOS reading of system memory and it is 2040MB.
so its just reading one card?

here is the specs of the RAM

DDR3 -1333 PC3-10666
2048MB x 2
CL8-8-8-21 1.5~1.6V

made by G Skill

Yeah, the MB manual gave me a "recommended configuration" if I was just using 2 sticks.

so I should have gotten 3 sticks to utilize my MB capacity? Im concidering going up to XP 64-bit, which as Ive read would allow me to add (and have recognized) more RAM, but Ive read about compatibility issues with hardware and software.

Im running v02.61 BIOS (the number that was on the bottom of the BIOS screen.
but then I also see "BIOS Information: Version :0307"
maybe thats it?
thanks
m
l
October 15, 2009 10:42:12 PM

why are you using xp for a i7 rig?
m
l
October 15, 2009 11:34:31 PM

ubernoobie said:

My girlfriend has Vista on her machine... pure death.
I feel bad for her.

havent seen much great about vista. would it solve all of my problems to switch? if so, then I might do it.

or at least try it out.
m
l
October 16, 2009 12:23:51 AM

ubernoobie said:

i am using xp pro x64 for my i7 rig......but i wont be when windows 7 comes out
m
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2009 1:17:43 AM

olivermellan said:
I just double checked the BIOS reading of system memory and it is 2040MB.
so its just reading one card?

As I said, if it is showing 2040 MEGABytes, not GIGABytes, then whatever you are reading is not related to the system memory.

Forget the BIOS, when your system starts up, it goes thru POST, Power On Seft Test, and it shows various things including the amount of memory you have. What is that number, it may count up to that number. Then it shows info about your hard drives.

For if you should have one more stick, see again my explanation above. Most would want 3 sticks.

Don't worry about XP or Vista. Regardless of your system, you should wait for Win7 and even then for time to pass after it's released.
m
l
October 16, 2009 2:35:45 AM

Mongox said:
As I said, if it is showing 2040 MEGABytes, not GIGABytes, then whatever you are reading is not related to the system memory.

Forget the BIOS, when your system starts up, it goes thru POST, Power On Seft Test, and it shows various things including the amount of memory you have. What is that number, it may count up to that number. Then it shows info about your hard drives.

For if you should have one more stick, see again my explanation above. Most would want 3 sticks.

Don't worry about XP or Vista. Regardless of your system, you should wait for Win7 and even then for time to pass after it's released.

I took some screen shots of BIOS page and the POST page. They are both saying 2040MB. which I think is about 2GB. So that means only one of the RAM sticks is being read?

So if I had another, then I could trouble shoot if it was bad RAM, but I ran memtest86 (memory checker) and both sticks were fine. I ran it for half a day.

I ve also tried sticking them in other slots on the MB, but still only about 2.4GB shows up in BIOS and only 1.99GB shows up in system properties.

here are the photos. http://www.olivermellan.com/design/BIOS/
posted on my site.

thanks for the time and help.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2009 3:37:39 AM

Yes, I'm sorry, was having some sort of brain problem!

Yes, 2040MB is close to 2048MB which is 2GBs.

When you ran memtest, did you run it on one stick at a time?

It's odd that putting the modules in different slots would change the RAM being shown, but not go from 2GB to 4GB. No reason it should show 2.4GB.

Forget about how much RAM is showing in Windows. If the BIOS isn't showing the RAM, nothing else will.

Let me look at the motherboard manual and I'll repost.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2009 3:50:39 AM

One thing I keep coming back to is whether this board really supports dual-channel. That is, it might come up as 6GBs just fine, just not 4GBs. But that's not that likely.

Will the system boot with only one module in the 2nd slot from the CPU?

In the BIOS, I think there is a Load Defaults choice under the Exit menu, manual isn't clear on this. Anyway, find the Load Defaults or Load Optimal/Performance Defaults and do that. Save and Reboot, see if it shows 4GBs on POST.

This may require you to reset some items like the SMART and USB detect/support settings.

m
l
October 16, 2009 2:57:09 PM

when I ran memtest86 I ran it with 2 sticks in because I dont think my computer will boot with just one.

I just loaded the Defaults in BIOS and rebooted. Its still showing 2040MB and in windows still shows 1.99GB

I installed CUP-Z and it reads that my memory size is indeed 4096MB

I just tried booting with only one stick on RAM and it would not boot.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2009 3:39:31 PM

Well, it's got me puzzled. Windows should show about 2.99GBs! But that's not gonna happen until the BIOS/POST sees all the RAM.

Might be a DRAM voltage issue - try changing that in BIOS to 1.6V and then try 1.65V. We know it's coming up as 1066 rather than 1333 so fixing that may help. After the voltage, try changing RAM speed manually to 1333.

m
l
October 16, 2009 4:32:24 PM

This is very puzzling.

I tried setting the DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.6v but still nothing more than 2040MB would show up.

Then I set it to 1.65v , but I got this warning message and didnt do it.

"According to Intel CPU SPEC, DIMMs with voltage setting over 1.65V may damage CPU permanently!!"

should I risk it?

I also changed the DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333MHz

but still nothing more than 2040MB appears.

should I call Asus? or G-skill?

thanks
m
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2009 9:42:20 PM

Yes, you can go up to 1.7V w/o any problems. 1.65 is no biggie and many modules require it.

I would try Asus. There's something odd going on. Might try their forum. Could be some dumb easy fix we're missing.
m
l
!