WMP10 Mobile skins

May 30, 2005 4:04:01 PM

LS,

I fail to be able to install additional skins for WMP10 Mobile; who can
explain me (step by step) how to add skins to Windows Media Player Mobile 10?
My device is a HP iPAQ hx4700 with ROM version 1.10 (recently installed).

I downloaded several skins (example: ClassicalMusic) and transferred these
to my PDA folder \Program Files\Windows Media Player\Classical Music (same
name and contents as it unpacks).
Transferring it file by file retains the original .bmp-file formats, whereas
using ActiveSync converts the .bmp's to jpg's.
Nevertheless, in both cases no additional skin is installed.

Can anyone give me any useful instructions?
Any help is appreciated.

--
Kind regards,

René Meijn
Hoeven
The Netherlands

More about : wmp10 mobile skins

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:12:47 PM

I have the exact same PPC, and I would like to know the answer as well.
Also, are visualisation options available for the PPC just like the desktop
version of WMP 10?

"R. Meijn" <noneedtoknow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> LS,
>
> I fail to be able to install additional skins for WMP10 Mobile; who can
> explain me (step by step) how to add skins to Windows Media Player Mobile
> 10?
> My device is a HP iPAQ hx4700 with ROM version 1.10 (recently installed).
>
> I downloaded several skins (example: ClassicalMusic) and transferred these
> to my PDA folder \Program Files\Windows Media Player\Classical Music (same
> name and contents as it unpacks).
> Transferring it file by file retains the original .bmp-file formats,
> whereas
> using ActiveSync converts the .bmp's to jpg's.
> Nevertheless, in both cases no additional skin is installed.
>
> Can anyone give me any useful instructions?
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> René Meijn
> Hoeven
> The Netherlands
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:19:28 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:04:01 -0700, "R. Meijn"
<noneedtoknow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>LS,
>
> I fail to be able to install additional skins for WMP10 Mobile; who can
>explain me (step by step) how to add skins to Windows Media Player Mobile 10?
>My device is a HP iPAQ hx4700 with ROM version 1.10 (recently installed).
>
>I downloaded several skins (example: ClassicalMusic) and transferred these
>to my PDA folder \Program Files\Windows Media Player\Classical Music (same
>name and contents as it unpacks).
>Transferring it file by file retains the original .bmp-file formats, whereas
>using ActiveSync converts the .bmp's to jpg's.
>Nevertheless, in both cases no additional skin is installed.
>
>Can anyone give me any useful instructions?

Can you try it with the skin and instructions here ?
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand...

I'm curious that you're unpacking to
\Windows Media Player\Classical Music\
directory, as the instructions say to unpack directly to the
\Windows Media Player\ directory.

Maybe rather than using activesync, you should copy the folder across
using windows explorer ?

Cheers - Neil
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:15:40 PM

I followed the instructions as suggested; directly copied all files (single
..skn-file and seven .bmp-files) directly to the \Program Files\Windows Media
Player directory.
Although I did not use ActiveSync (which converts .bmp-files) it did not work.

When adding more than one additional skin, the .bmp-files which are
different (size) for each skin but do have the same name for each skin would
overwrite each other when not using separate subfolders for each skin.
Which makes me wonder whether the instructions are correct.
Nevertheless, applying subfolders like \Windows Media Player\Classical
Music\ also does not work.

Any further suggestions?

(Note: second reply, initially the reply got "lost in the mail").

--
Kind regards,

René Meijn
Hoeven
The Netherlands

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:04:01 -0700, "R. Meijn"
> <noneedtoknow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >LS,
> >
> > I fail to be able to install additional skins for WMP10 Mobile; who can
> >explain me (step by step) how to add skins to Windows Media Player Mobile 10?
> >My device is a HP iPAQ hx4700 with ROM version 1.10 (recently installed).
> >
> >I downloaded several skins (example: ClassicalMusic) and transferred these
> >to my PDA folder \Program Files\Windows Media Player\Classical Music (same
> >name and contents as it unpacks).
> >Transferring it file by file retains the original .bmp-file formats, whereas
> >using ActiveSync converts the .bmp's to jpg's.
> >Nevertheless, in both cases no additional skin is installed.
> >
> >Can anyone give me any useful instructions?
>
> Can you try it with the skin and instructions here ?
> http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand...
>
> I'm curious that you're unpacking to
> \Windows Media Player\Classical Music\
> directory, as the instructions say to unpack directly to the
> \Windows Media Player\ directory.
>
> Maybe rather than using activesync, you should copy the folder across
> using windows explorer ?
>
> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:12:04 PM

Found on MSDN:

"Use the following procedure to install your skin:
- Copy all your skin files to a new folder.
- Copy the folder containing your skin files to the Windows Media Player
folder on your portable device.
- Start Windows Media Player Mobile. This launches the Skin Chooser, which
has two navigation buttons that allow you to scroll through the available
skins, and will display a preview of each one. The name displayed for your
skin will be the name of your skin definition file.
Tap Ok to select your skin."

Unfortunately, this procedure does not work?
Any comments?

--
Kind regards,

René Meijn
Hoeven
The Netherlands

"R. Meijn" wrote:

> I followed the instructions as suggested; directly copied all files (single
> .skn-file and seven .bmp-files) directly to the \Program Files\Windows Media
> Player directory.
> Although I did not use ActiveSync (which converts .bmp-files) it did not work.
>
> When adding more than one additional skin, the .bmp-files which are
> different (size) for each skin but do have the same name for each skin would
> overwrite each other when not using separate subfolders for each skin.
> Which makes me wonder whether the instructions are correct.
> Nevertheless, applying subfolders like \Windows Media Player\Classical
> Music\ also does not work.
>
> Any further suggestions?
>
> (Note: second reply, initially the reply got "lost in the mail").
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> René Meijn
> Hoeven
> The Netherlands
>

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:04:01 -0700, "R. Meijn"
> > <noneedtoknow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >LS,
> > >
> > > I fail to be able to install additional skins for WMP10 Mobile; who can
> > >explain me (step by step) how to add skins to Windows Media Player Mobile 10?
> > >My device is a HP iPAQ hx4700 with ROM version 1.10 (recently installed).
> > >
> > >I downloaded several skins (example: ClassicalMusic) and transferred these
> > >to my PDA folder \Program Files\Windows Media Player\Classical Music (same
> > >name and contents as it unpacks).
> > >Transferring it file by file retains the original .bmp-file formats, whereas
> > >using ActiveSync converts the .bmp's to jpg's.
> > >Nevertheless, in both cases no additional skin is installed.
> > >
> > >Can anyone give me any useful instructions?
> >
> > Can you try it with the skin and instructions here ?
> > http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand...
> >
> > I'm curious that you're unpacking to
> > \Windows Media Player\Classical Music\
> > directory, as the instructions say to unpack directly to the
> > \Windows Media Player\ directory.
> >
> > Maybe rather than using activesync, you should copy the folder across
> > using windows explorer ?
> >
> > Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:35:02 AM

Rene,
I'm having the same exact problem, I've also followed the instructions
provided and get the same result. Have you been able to find a fix?
Thanks,
Edward

"R. Meijn" wrote:

> Found on MSDN:
>
> "Use the following procedure to install your skin:
> - Copy all your skin files to a new folder.
> - Copy the folder containing your skin files to the Windows Media Player
> folder on your portable device.
> - Start Windows Media Player Mobile. This launches the Skin Chooser, which
> has two navigation buttons that allow you to scroll through the available
> skins, and will display a preview of each one. The name displayed for your
> skin will be the name of your skin definition file.
> Tap Ok to select your skin."
>
> Unfortunately, this procedure does not work?
> Any comments?
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> René Meijn
> Hoeven
> The Netherlands
>

> "R. Meijn" wrote:
>
> > I followed the instructions as suggested; directly copied all files (single
> > .skn-file and seven .bmp-files) directly to the \Program Files\Windows Media
> > Player directory.
> > Although I did not use ActiveSync (which converts .bmp-files) it did not work.
> >
> > When adding more than one additional skin, the .bmp-files which are
> > different (size) for each skin but do have the same name for each skin would
> > overwrite each other when not using separate subfolders for each skin.
> > Which makes me wonder whether the instructions are correct.
> > Nevertheless, applying subfolders like \Windows Media Player\Classical
> > Music\ also does not work.
> >
> > Any further suggestions?
> >
> > (Note: second reply, initially the reply got "lost in the mail").
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > René Meijn
> > Hoeven
> > The Netherlands
> >

> > "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> > > Can you try it with the skin and instructions here ?
> > > http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand...
> > >
> > > I'm curious that you're unpacking to
> > > \Windows Media Player\Classical Music\
> > > directory, as the instructions say to unpack directly to the
> > > \Windows Media Player\ directory.
> > >
> > > Maybe rather than using activesync, you should copy the folder across
> > > using windows explorer ?
> > >
> > > Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:25:01 PM

LS,
no useful responses uptill now, so I guess the only option is to wait until
HP will offer Windows Mobile 5.0 for my iPAQ hx4700 and then try again.
--
Kind regards,

René Meijn
Hoeven
The Netherlands

"Popie23232" wrote:

> Rene,
> I'm having the same exact problem, I've also followed the instructions
> provided and get the same result. Have you been able to find a fix?
> Thanks,
> Edward
>
> "R. Meijn" wrote:
>
> > Found on MSDN:
> >
> > "Use the following procedure to install your skin:
> > - Copy all your skin files to a new folder.
> > - Copy the folder containing your skin files to the Windows Media Player
> > folder on your portable device.
> > - Start Windows Media Player Mobile. This launches the Skin Chooser, which
> > has two navigation buttons that allow you to scroll through the available
> > skins, and will display a preview of each one. The name displayed for your
> > skin will be the name of your skin definition file.
> > Tap Ok to select your skin."
> >
> > Unfortunately, this procedure does not work?
> > Any comments?
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > René Meijn
> > Hoeven
> > The Netherlands
> >

> > "R. Meijn" wrote:
> >
> > > I followed the instructions as suggested; directly copied all files (single
> > > .skn-file and seven .bmp-files) directly to the \Program Files\Windows Media
> > > Player directory.
> > > Although I did not use ActiveSync (which converts .bmp-files) it did not work.
> > >
> > > When adding more than one additional skin, the .bmp-files which are
> > > different (size) for each skin but do have the same name for each skin would
> > > overwrite each other when not using separate subfolders for each skin.
> > > Which makes me wonder whether the instructions are correct.
> > > Nevertheless, applying subfolders like \Windows Media Player\Classical
> > > Music\ also does not work.
> > >
> > > Any further suggestions?
> > >
> > > (Note: second reply, initially the reply got "lost in the mail").
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > René Meijn
> > > Hoeven
> > > The Netherlands

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:51:03 PM

Rene,
As a last resort, I was able to preform a hard reset on my Dell Axim. That
seems to have corrected the problem however it did wipe away all software I
had installed after initially receiving the unit. Sure hope they get this
fixed soon.
Thanks,
Edward

"R. Meijn" wrote:

> LS,
> no useful responses uptill now, so I guess the only option is to wait until
> HP will offer Windows Mobile 5.0 for my iPAQ hx4700 and then try again.
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> René Meijn
> Hoeven
> The Netherlands
>

> "Popie23232" wrote:
>
> > Rene,
> > I'm having the same exact problem, I've also followed the instructions
> > provided and get the same result. Have you been able to find a fix?
> > Thanks,
> > Edward
> >
> > "R. Meijn" wrote:
> >
> > > Found on MSDN:
> > >
> > > "Use the following procedure to install your skin:
> > > - Copy all your skin files to a new folder.
> > > - Copy the folder containing your skin files to the Windows Media Player
> > > folder on your portable device.
> > > - Start Windows Media Player Mobile. This launches the Skin Chooser, which
> > > has two navigation buttons that allow you to scroll through the available
> > > skins, and will display a preview of each one. The name displayed for your
> > > skin will be the name of your skin definition file.
> > > Tap Ok to select your skin."
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, this procedure does not work?
> > > Any comments?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > René Meijn
> > > Hoeven
> > > The Netherlands

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:46:03 PM

Ok, guys I have been reading all of your posts and have managed to figure it
all out for you.
I own a HP hx4700 and I am running true VGA (through an additional software
that give you true VGA and not what HP left you with!)

When you download a skin, it will give you a .skn file and probably a few
bipmaps. Create a new folder inside the Windows Media Player folder on your
PPC and call it what you want and then copy the .skn file and relevant .bmp
files into this new folder.
Load up Windows Media player that click on 'Menu' and 'Options' and then the
tab 'Skins'. This is when you tell me that you have allready tried this and
it still does not show you the new skin. I know.

Basically some skins will only work on a VGA screen (even an hx4700 that has
a VGA screen because it might not actually be set up for VGA size!) and
others only on a QVGA screen & then others will only work on Portrait screen
and others on Landscape.
So in other words, try switching your screen to portrait, do a soft re-set
and then load up Media Player and see if the skin now shows. I did get the
Plastic skin to work straight away but as yet still can not get any of
Microsofts skins to be recognised.

If you have a PPC that has a VGA screen, 9/10 times you will actually be
running at QVGA because they never set it up properly to work as all of the
writing get even smaller.
I use my PPC in VGA for everything, but as a warning some programs or games
will not work or will crash if you use proper VGA mode. If you want to give
it a try, then go over to
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14679 and download it for
free and see how you get on. If you don't like it as things are too small,
then switch back to QVGA and uninstall this software, but give it a go
otherwise why buy a VGA enabled device if you are not going to use it?

Hope I have helped to sort out the skin issue

Alan

!