BSOD when installing XP

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I just built a new PC with some new and some used parts and get the BSOD when trying to reformat the used hardrive I am using from a previous i7 build. I boot from the XP home installation CD and get as far as when it asks me to press F8 to agree to the terms of use agreement but right as a press F8 I get a BSOD. I can boot into windows in safe mode but all my old motherboard drivers are on it and I get errors.

New Hardware:
Intel core 2 quad Q9400
OCZ 4GB DDR2-800 w/ gold heatspreaders
Gigabyte P43-DS3L motherboard
Antec 900 case

Old Hardware + software:
WD 320GB SATA HDD
Lite on DVD burner
Windows XP home edition
XFX 8800GT
Corsair 750W powersupply

I would check
1. Heat. Is your heatsink mounted correctly? The place you are having the problem is about far enough along for a bad heatsink install to let your processor start getting pretty warm.
2. Memory. Make sure it is running at spec, and voltage.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Be sure to change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE (XP don't like AHCI while installing), are those 4x1GB sticks or 2x2GB ones? If 4x1GB remove 2 of them, and try it. Also try setting it to slave (IDE only) and re-format on another PC, then put it back in (after moving the jumper, IDE drive only) and try again.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I went into the BIOS and under it said the AHCI was already disabled. I think the problem is that drivers from my old X58 chipset motherboard are interfering with the P43 chipset and in one of the BSOD's it said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO. I tried uninstalling the ASUS motherboard drivers and installing the P43 chipset drivers but that made the problem worse and now I get a BSOD when trying to boot normally and the only way to access windows is in safe mode.