Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 D0 and D14 question

Last response: in Overclocking
February 6, 2011 6:45:31 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to overclocking and I've been using my i7 920 @ stock speed for some time. But now I am considering overclocking since my new D14 arrived. I am using a HAF X and I have good cable management, so the airflow is OK, but the temps for stock speed seemed a bit high to me and I want to know if they're OK before OC'ing. I know that most of you are bored with all the temperature questions but anyway here it goes.

i7 920 d0 @ stock settings w/ Turbo enabled
NH-D14 w/ stock fans, no adapters (I used the Noctua TIM that came with the heatsink)
MB is Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0)
Using RealTemp to monitor temps
Prime95 small FFT for stress testing

Idle temps:
39 36 37 35

Load temps after 2 hours of testing:
60 57 58 56

Are these temps fine or do I have to reseat? Thanks in advance.

More about : 920 d14 question

a c 182 K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 6:53:02 PM

Temps look very good to me especially since you don't mention ambient room temp.
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 7:10:51 PM

I agree, that's normal.

About overclocking:
Unless you have a high-end dual card setup or need the CPU for video conversion you will not benefit from overclocking.

I have the i7-860 which is basically identical to your CPU and I've never had a game use more than 50% of the CPU's capabilities. more importantly, no game has come close to using 100% of even a single thread (core/thread).

You can monitor CPU usage using Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL).

Reported CPU average usage is incorrect with hyperthreading enabled. To get the best idea of how your game is using each core/thread have the Task Manager display ALL THREADS (8 is 4 cores and 4 threads).

Again, if you overclock your CPU all you generate is heat and noise if it's not needed.

My Gigabyte motherboard has a utility which can overclock my CPU easily. I pick a setting and reboot. I do this when I'm going to convert some video, then I put it back to the default.
February 6, 2011 7:25:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. First of all I'm not really sure but the ambient should probably be something like 25 degrees. Also, I'm running a single GPU setup but I do some encoding and editing occasionally, I love the benefits of HT especially when multitasking and I could always use some extra processing power and increased framerates while gaming even if it's not a very big performance leap. So, do you think I can hit let's say 4 GHz with these temps since I'm trying to maximize my performance?
!