Asus comp dead after keyboard driver install

Moon67

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I downloaded a new driver for my veiwsonic keyboard now my computer will not start after reboot. I have no video or sound. I removed my battery on my p5e board and left it out for 20 minutes to reset my cmos. I am not getting any error codes off my board speaker and the computer will not reboot. The board is only 4 months old and was working fine up until the driver install. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix my issue. I also tried to install my drivers from my factory cd but to no avail .

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Never installed a kb driver myself. Have you tried just removing the kb before turning on the system? Or trying another kb?

If you have no video or sound, how did you try to install the drivers from the cd?

Regardless, it's very unlikely that any software driver for the KB is the cause of this problem. Had to be something else you did at the same time.

Moon67

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Yes I know this does not make any sense, but the keyboard works fine on my other comp I am using it now. After the driver install the keyboard would not work at all so I rebooted my comp and that is when my board would not post. It may be a coincidence since I see many people are having similar issues with the p5e board. This is sad since I replaced my asus striker board with this one and I am having the same problems. And that board lasted only 2 weeks. My video card , sound card, and memory all check out good. I hope I don' t have to send this card back for warranty work too . It will be the last time I buy anything from Asus. I have checked for shorts and had a local computer store check,also they are the ones who installed my p5e. How long should you let the comp rest with the switch enabled and battery out to reset cmos? I have heard anywhere from 10 sec to all night.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
You don't have to take the battery out at all to clear the CMOS, just use the jumper or other device you have to short the pins when the unit is unplugged. Do this for 2 secs and the CMOS is clear - you'll know that because your boot order and other custom items in the BIOS are removed. And the Date/Time of course.

Again, it's not possible for a Windows driver to cause the motherboard to fail POST - the first isn't looked at until the second is completed.

If you were talking about a BIOS update sure, but Windows doesn't affect the POST in any way.

Soooo... you didn't mention trying the other keyboard on the bad unit.

Moon67

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

Thanks guys for your input and your time to help me out. I would not have believed the solution myself if I had not found it. I had to remove the battery and enable my cmos switch and leave the computer down for two hours. I was able to reboot my computer and get into device drivers and found the driver was corrupt .
I then went into the control panel and deleted the driver from viewsonic . Note I have had trouble before with their drivers so I should have known better. I then selected windows sp2 as my default driver and now everything is working fine. This is an older keyboard with a lot of functions but apparently the driver is not compatible with vista . Again thanks for your time and effort. I hope this may help others who may have had the same issue.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Great and glad to help. So it sounds like the CMOS error was really the 2nd problem, keeping you from getting into Windows to solve the driver issue.

Good luck!