Satellite Cable Length

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 9, 2005 4:42:31 PM

To get a clear shot, I'm installing my DirecTV dish about 300' from the
receiver. Will I have any signal loss. Is there a booster or something
available if I have significant loss...tia

More about : satellite cable length

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:21:39 PM

Jeff Dieterle wrote:

> To get a clear shot, I'm installing my DirecTV dish about 300' from the
> receiver. Will I have any signal loss.

I would think so. They really like an upper limit of 100 120 feet.
Care to explain why it has to be mounted so far away?

> Is there a booster or something
> available if I have significant loss...tia

Somebody wrote:
"Amps are kinda a last resort and not really that useful for digital
signals, only analog. Since noise is often the bigger problem than
signal strength, an amp will not help much. What will possibly help is
shortening the drop to the house. Might want to try asking the cable
techs about that."

That being said, and it makes sense to me, as if "noise" is on the
receiving end, that amp is only going to amplify the noise integrated
into any "digital" signal as well.
And yes, DTV is digital, so said amp (AC powered of course) would have
to be designed for it. Do a google search for Digital TV/Sat amplifiers.

If you are doing the install yourself, then get the highest quality
quad-shielded coax that you can afford... and may the gods be with you.

On the otherhand, if a Direct TV person is doing it, then get it down in
writing that if the signal strength is not in the 90's or above, you
don't pay squirt!
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:54:42 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:42:31 -0500, "Jeff Dieterle"
<jdieter@nospam.carlnet.org> wrote:

>To get a clear shot, I'm installing my DirecTV dish about 300' from the
>receiver. Will I have any signal loss. Is there a booster or something
>available if I have significant loss...tia

300' is no problem with good quality RG-6.
March 11, 2005 4:41:47 PM

I'm in Indiana on the north side of a valley with 100' trees all around my
house. Don't want to cut any trees down so the closest open spot is at the
top of the valley where the tree lines breaks
"Keith Moon" <odd@drums.gov> wrote in message

> Jeff Dieterle wrote:
>>
>> To get a clear shot, I'm installing my DirecTV dish about 300' from the
>> receiver. Will I have any signal loss.
>
> I would think so. They really like an upper limit of 100 120 feet.
> Care to explain why it has to be mounted so far away?
>
>> Is there a booster or something
>> available if I have significant loss...tia
>
> Somebody wrote:
> "Amps are kinda a last resort and not really that useful for digital
> signals, only analog. Since noise is often the bigger problem than
> signal strength, an amp will not help much. What will possibly help is
> shortening the drop to the house. Might want to try asking the cable
> techs about that."
>
> That being said, and it makes sense to me, as if "noise" is on the
> receiving end, that amp is only going to amplify the noise integrated
> into any "digital" signal as well.
> And yes, DTV is digital, so said amp (AC powered of course) would have
> to be designed for it. Do a google search for Digital TV/Sat amplifiers.
>
> If you are doing the install yourself, then get the highest quality
> quad-shielded coax that you can afford... and may the gods be with you.
>
> On the otherhand, if a Direct TV person is doing it, then get it down in
> writing that if the signal strength is not in the 90's or above, you
> don't pay squirt!
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:28:14 PM

Jeff Dieterle wrote:

> I'm in Indiana on the north side of a valley with 100' trees all around my
> house. Don't want to cut any trees down so the closest open spot is at the
> top of the valley where the tree lines breaks.

Sorry to hear that.
It just so happenes that some folks that share your simular particulars
just don't have an option, so make a choice.
If cable is not an option, and you still want "all that TV", cut ONLY
the fargen trees-n-florae down that are in your way.

Or, utilize the information given regarding cable length, and hope for
the best.

Someone said 300ft is not a problem.
I say "ahem!"
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:56:33 PM

Put the dish on a tower.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:19:25 AM

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:21:39 -0500, Keith Moon <odd@drums.gov> wrote:

>Somebody wrote:
>"Amps are kinda a last resort and not really that useful for digital
>signals, only analog. Since noise is often the bigger problem than
>signal strength, an amp will not help much. What will possibly help is
>shortening the drop to the house. Might want to try asking the cable
>techs about that."

Actually it is much easier to rebuild a digital signal than a analog
signal. Repeaters (digital amps) are used in computer networking
everyday. Digital signals can be rebuilt without any noise whatsoever.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:11:34 AM

I'm not going to list my resume but if you are going to go 300' plus then
use rg11. It WILL work with no problems.Just make sure your connectors are
CLEAN. Agood clean connection is your best friend. If you are right at the
300' line then you may get away with using solid copper rg6 like we use for
direcway and starband when they get more than 100' away which will probably
be cheaper than the rg11 wire. amps are a waste of money and put a splice in
the line creating a loss so.......]
Hope I could help.
Scott in TN

!