Network computers can't access certain folders

June 4, 2004 4:12:25 PM

XP Home
This has not always been true, but in the past few months, it has become
impossible for me to access folders from the computers on my home network.
The most annoying part of this is that the Program Files directory is not
available, supposedly because Windows doesn't want network computers to have
permission. I'm the administrator and only user of all the computers.
Is there a config I'm missing, or is there a registry hack that will fix
this?
Thanks.

Steve Myers
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 5:46:40 PM

Hi,

I have a couple questions about your issue. The Program
Files folder should be accessable from other PC's on your
Home network, especially if you are the system admin. The
only case I can think of where an exception would exist is
if you were accessing a windows 95 machine. In that case
you would have to provide a password. So my questions are:

1) Did you share the Drive and did you share the drive with
a drive letter that does not exist?

2) Are the "Workstation" and "Server" Services set to
"Automatic"?

The Network Connections, DHCP CLient services are also
required for a Home Network to operate correctly.

3) Are you using a Firewall that is not allowing all
traffic from the LAN?

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 10:36:50 AM

Thanks. Just to be sure, I checked all the issues you mention. They're as
they should be.
This is some kind of a "permission" thing. Can't figure out how to give
myself permission to access folders Windows wants to keep to itself.

!