Network computers can't access certain folders

XP Home
This has not always been true, but in the past few months, it has become
impossible for me to access folders from the computers on my home network.
The most annoying part of this is that the Program Files directory is not
available, supposedly because Windows doesn't want network computers to have
permission. I'm the administrator and only user of all the computers.
Is there a config I'm missing, or is there a registry hack that will fix
this?
Thanks.

Steve Myers
2 answers Last reply
More about network computers access folders

    Hi,

    I have a couple questions about your issue. The Program
    Files folder should be accessable from other PC's on your
    Home network, especially if you are the system admin. The
    only case I can think of where an exception would exist is
    if you were accessing a windows 95 machine. In that case
    you would have to provide a password. So my questions are:

    1) Did you share the Drive and did you share the drive with
    a drive letter that does not exist?

    2) Are the "Workstation" and "Server" Services set to
    "Automatic"?

    The Network Connections, DHCP CLient services are also
    required for a Home Network to operate correctly.

    3) Are you using a Firewall that is not allowing all
    traffic from the LAN?

    Thanks. Just to be sure, I checked all the issues you mention. They're as
    they should be.
    This is some kind of a "permission" thing. Can't figure out how to give
    myself permission to access folders Windows wants to keep to itself.

    > 1) Did you share the Drive and did you share the drive with
    > a drive letter that does not exist?
    >
    > 2) Are the "Workstation" and "Server" Services set to
    > "Automatic"?
    >
    > The Network Connections, DHCP CLient services are also
    > required for a Home Network to operate correctly.
    >
    > 3) Are you using a Firewall that is not allowing all
    > traffic from the LAN?

Configuration Computers Windows XP