Upgrade GPU or CPU first? (specs inside)

Currently using a ATI 4850 and a Core Duo e4600 2.4 (OC'd to 2.8).

Should i replace my GPU or CPU first? My budget is about $200 but i cant figure out what would give me more performance.

If other specs are needed i can post those too.
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade first specs inside
  1. U have a good rig,do u have any problems with it that u want to upgrade?
    Plz post the other specs too
  2. Can post the uses of your machine? I get the sense that you're a gamer but idk if you do a lot or a few things on the side :-\
  3. Yeah this is mainly for gaming.

Full specs:
    Windows 7 Release Candidate 64bit
    Gigabyte EP43-DS3L
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.8ghz
    6 gigs Korsair 800mhz memory
    Zalman CPU cooler
    WD 7200 RPM HDD
    Antec 650W PSU
    Gigabyte ATI HD4850
    Dual LG 22" monitors @ 1650x1050 resolution each

Thanks for the replies!
  4. anyone?
  5. You don't use two monitors to game do you? (I don't even know if you can do that actually!)

Your CPU is currently your weakest link, as the HD4850 is a good card for 1650x1050 gaming. So if it we're me, I'd go for ;

The Q9550 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
  6. ColMirage said:
    You don't use two monitors to game do you? (I don't even know if you can do that actually!)

Your CPU is currently your weakest link, as the HD4850 is a good card for 1650x1050 gaming. So if it we're me, I'd go for ;

The Q9550 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

Yeah just use one for gaming. Have the game on one and a browser on the second.

Thanks for the processor link. Was thinking about a quad and this one looks great.
  7. That's a tough call. An upgraded GPU can be moved into your next rig; not so with a new CPU. Have you tried overclocking your E4600 a bit more, say to 3.2GHz-3.4GHz? Try that and see how much performance improves, if any. If it doesn't, then a faster GPU will help more. I suspect it will though, but consider how long you will keep this rig before spending a lot on a CPU for a dead socket.
  8. The cpu, gpu's like that are way more powerful than your cpu, but imho you don't really need a upgrade.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs Product