Sign in with
Your question

Cant read disks

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2010 2:34:21 AM

I have an HP dvd writer its a 630c

Anyhow, it wont read dvd's or cd's, ive tried dvd movies, and burned dvd's. I've tried audio cd's and linux distro's the drive wont read a thing. I've also tried blank dvd's and cd's nothing read's.

It will tell me drive is not accessable, or please insert a disk into drive. So what should I be doing, the tray ejects fine, it appears to read for a second.

I think I can hear it spin for a second, but I could be wrong. Is the laser the problem? motor? maybe something's sticking?

I work with xbox dvd drives often, and have pot tweaked the laser on a few different drives, can you do that on these type of drives? (I dont know if pot tweaking is a xbox related term or not :??:  )

Also, I have a lite-on shm 165h6s which I was thinking of replacing this drive with, but it makes a loud grinding noise when I put it in the comp, I took it apart and the motor which spin's the disk seems to have something loose inside it, when I spin it, or tilt the drive left to right you can hear what sound like small metal balls rolling around. Is there a place I can buy a new motor for this drive? Or would fixing the original one be easier?

More about : read disks

December 11, 2010 4:15:31 AM

Just tried it, doesnt work. Says my drive is incapable of writing dvd's when it is clearly a dvd writer.

Thing is this pc I'm using is a POS, 2.79 ghz single core, 256 mb ram. Only really use this comp for web browsing and downloading/streaming media.

I use usb's to transfer files between this comp and another comp, but often times I forget my usb drive, which is why I'd like to be able to burn dvd's.

I definately dont want to buy a new drive for this comp, as IMO its not worth it.
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2010 4:51:04 AM

Alright guy's well I'm going to just scrap that comp.

I've recently bought a phenom II x4 955 and a new am3 board. So my old Asus M2N-E board will be going into this comp. Along with one of the dvd drives I currently have hooked to the board (known working)
m
l
!