Sign in with
Your question
Solved

""Overclocking Failed"" Without Even Overclocking System

Last response: in Overclocking
February 7, 2011 5:12:14 AM

Ok so when i start my comp some times it won't start It Says "Overcloacking Failed Please enter setup to re-configure your system"
I have to press the power button several times until he boots.
WITHOUT EVEN OVERCLOCKING IT ???
I don't know what coul'd be causing this Problem

Any ideas ?
a c 241 K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 5:30:25 AM

Unplug your PC from the power and open your case. Then clear the CMOS from the jumpers.
Consult your motherboards manual to see how to clear your CMOS. Most motherboard you have to change the jumper settings for a few seconds (From Pins 0 and 1 to 1 and 2) or some you need to add a jumper for a few seconds..
or better remove battery mobo and wait a minute .. put it back and plug power .. boot

When you have cleared the CMOS boot up your PC and enter the BIOS and load "Fail Safe" settings and save. Then left Windows load properly..
If windows loads successfully you can shutdown and go back into the BIOS and load "Default" settings and save and exit. If you like after that quick reboot you can start

many causes for the emergence of overclock fail generally bad hardware or wrong Setting in Bios
- Failed mobo or CPU, in case the overvoltage error reoccurs. (after the PSU change)
- Bad RAM , Keybord, HDD, Ic bios, Battery Bios

m
l
February 7, 2011 6:45:26 AM

thanx i,ve already unplug battery for 30min and the same but i try with the jumpers
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2011 8:21:30 AM

so i change jumper settings unplug battery still the same
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 8:32:12 AM

yeah this problem very very difficult to fix it, need extra time to check one by one
because we don't know wich hardware having problem. sometime IC Bios or RAM , some time fan CPU cannot not Spin, uhmm .. this big trouble maybe search google can help..
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 8:36:23 AM

nedialkata said:
Ok so when i start my comp some times it won't start It Says "Overcloacking Failed Please enter setup to re-configure your system"

Any ideas ?
The message says "overclocking failed" simply because the company expects that most boot failures will be caused by overclocking. What it means is "boot failure, now using "safe" settings".

The most likely cause is a minor configuration issue, which motherboard is it?
m
l
a c 224 K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 9:01:08 AM

nedialkata said:
so i change jumper settings unplug battery still the same

Unplug power from the wall when you do this CMOS clearing procedure and allow longer for the CMOS to clear some M/Bs do take longer to clear even with the battery pulled, I have no idea why, most M/Bs will clear in a few seconds.
m
l
February 7, 2011 9:46:41 AM

Here's mobo ASUS p4p800-x
Ram OCZ 512MB & Kingston 1Gb = 1.50GB
CPU Intel Pentuim 4 2.4 GHz
m
l
February 7, 2011 9:48:14 AM

Crashman said:
The message says "overclocking failed" simply because the company expects that most boot failures will be caused by overclocking. What it means is "boot failure, now using "safe" settings".

The most likely cause is a minor configuration issue, which motherboard is it?

Here's mobo p4p800-x
m
l
February 7, 2011 9:50:14 AM

m
l
February 7, 2011 11:17:43 AM

I find that a lot of false overclock errors are in relation to the RAM. You may have to downclock the RAM settings in the BIOS to have it function properly.
m
l
February 7, 2011 11:35:07 AM

Ok but do you know how or where may i download the settings ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 7:43:37 PM

nedialkata said:
Ram OCZ 512MB & Kingston 1Gb = 1.50GB
CPU Intel Pentuim 4 2.4 GHz

Try it with only the Kingston module installed.
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
February 7, 2011 11:21:22 PM

hey guys...i found this in other thread , you have one of harware damage ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262689-29-intel-penti...

Quote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262689-29-intel-penti...[ nedialkata said : : I' ve overclock it to 2.58GHz but it seems when i play a game 2-3 minets it shutdowns
PLEASE HELP /quote]

that big trouble ... :D  fail overclock of course!
you're too late to save your own computer, if you do not want to appear pesass error again, added ram voltage and cpu voltage added this may not increase the voltage drop on the system.

m
l
February 8, 2011 11:54:18 AM

henydiah said:

Quote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262689-29-intel-penti...[ nedialkata said : : I' ve overclock it to 2.58GHz but it seems when i play a game 2-3 minets it shutdowns
PLEASE HELP /quote]

you're too late to save your own computer, if you do not want to appear pesass error again, added ram voltage and cpu voltage added this may not increase the voltage drop on the system.
Quote:

YES I ' VE OVERCLOCK THE CPU ,BUT AFTER IT SHOW THIS THREAD
"OVERCLOCKING FAILED" I SWARE IN GOD!

OK I'm not lieng who want's to belive , ,it was showing this before starting to overclock it i sware .
AND I LEARN WHAT IS OVERCLOCKING THANKS TO THAT THREAD BELIVE ME OR NOT !!! I DIDN't KNOW THAT IT IS EVEN POSIBLE TO RAISE CPU FREQUENCY I HAD TO READ SO THAT I COULD BELIVE IT IS TRUE.
m
l
February 8, 2011 12:03:32 PM

O CRASHMAN THANKS I TRY TO REMOVE THE OCZ BECAUSE WHEN I BOUGHT THE COMP ONLY THE OCZ WHAS IN IT I AND IT STILL WAS DOING THE SAME PROBLEM!
I 've BOUGHT THE KINGSTON LATER !
m
l
February 8, 2011 12:06:36 PM

henydiah said:

Quote:
PLEASE HELP /quote]

Quote:

O AND NOW I'VE STOP O/C AND SHOWS SAME THREAD !!!

AND I 'VE ONLY HAD IT OVERCLOCK FOR 2 WEEKS OR SO!
m
l
February 8, 2011 1:17:17 PM

Crashman said:
Try it with only the Kingston module installed.

I 've tried with Kingston only, still the same "OVECLLOCKING FAILED"
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2011 6:41:13 PM

nedialkata said:
I 've tried with Kingston only, still the same "OVECLLOCKING FAILED"
Did you enter BIOS again, and select "Save and Exit" again?
m
l
February 8, 2011 8:36:45 PM

Crashman said:
Did you enter BIOS again, and select "Save and Exit" again?

I ' ve even ""clear the cmos because he didn't boot"" with the jumpers so he can boot up ".
And than save and exit . First time i restartet my copm fine , But The second it didn't boot ,only black screen i had to press the power buton so he can boot ,
and AGAIN"OVERCLOCKING FAILED"
Maybe motherboard problem I don't have any idea .
m
l
February 8, 2011 8:37:54 PM

I've done everything i know it didn't work! Too bad
And again Thanx for your reply's !!!
I aprishiatet them!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2011 8:54:40 PM

nedialkata said:
I ' ve even ""clear the cmos because he didn't boot"" with the jumpers so he can boot up ".
And than save and exit . First time i restartet my copm fine , But The second it didn't boot ,only black screen i had to press the power buton so he can boot ,
and AGAIN"OVERCLOCKING FAILED"
Maybe motherboard problem I don't have any idea .
well, you can try it with just the OCZ module installed...
m
l
February 9, 2011 5:10:47 AM

Crashman said:
well, you can try it with just the OCZ module installed...

Actualy i've tried with the OCZ still the same, because the ocz was in the komp when i bought it .
m
l
February 9, 2011 5:15:16 AM

Quote:
+=1

If I cut the power on my MB with the reset button, it sees this as an overclocking failure.

Is it that it is failing to boot because it is choosing some crazy auto settings and when you push the power button to shut it down, it will interpret this as overclocking failure?

If you can get into the BIOS, see if any of the voltages are automatically being set to some unfortunate values. When I fisrt got my Asus, it was running my 1.6V RAM at 1.7V - above the Intel guidlines for a P55.

Well I' l check my voltages and see if there at high or low!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2011 5:42:33 AM

nedialkata said:
Actualy i've tried with the OCZ still the same, because the ocz was in the komp when i bought it .
Well, the normal cause of this issue is low voltage to "some component", so you can also try increasing memory and CPU core voltage slightly to see if it helps.
m
l

Best solution

February 9, 2011 5:51:24 AM

I had a P4P800 Deluxe back in the day that started randomly giving me the "Overclocking Failed" message. Nothing would fix it. Swapped RAM, cleared CMOS, new CMOS battery, swapped PSU, swapped processor. Nothing. The board blew up about a week later. Southbridge blew a chunk out of the middle of the chip. :-/

a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2011 5:54:37 AM

mavroxur said:
I had a P4P800 Deluxe back in the day that started randomly giving me the "Overclocking Failed" message. Nothing would fix it. Swapped RAM, cleared CMOS, new CMOS battery, swapped PSU, swapped processor. Nothing. The board blew up about a week later. Southbridge blew a chunk out of the middle of the chip. :-/
Yeh, I wanted to tell him about the high possibility that failing caps were causing voltage issues, but thought perhaps he should "try a few more things" first :) 
m
l
February 9, 2011 6:19:04 AM

HERE
Advance Chipset :
Configure DRAM TIMING by SPD [enabled]
Memory Acceleration mode [Auto]
DRAM Idle Timer [Auto]
Dram Refresh Rate [Auto]

Graphic Adapter Priority[AGP/PCI]
Graphics Adapter size [ 64MB]
Spread Spectrum [Enabled]

ICH Delayed Transaction [Enabled]

MPS \revision 1.1/1.4 [1.1]
m
l
February 9, 2011 6:27:34 AM

AND Jumper free Configuration

DRAM FREQUENCY [Auto]
CPU Vcore voltage [Auto]
DDR Reference VOLTAGE [Auto]
m
l
February 9, 2011 6:31:09 AM

i don't know witch voltage to take hire!
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
February 9, 2011 7:03:43 AM

i agree @mavroxur... you need mobo... too late safe mobo for better check all hardware in out or other PC or contact support vendor.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2011 8:07:52 AM

By any chance do you have a USB Hub or any non essential USB devices connected?
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:33:51 AM

Actyally my mouse and kyboard are usb conected
m
l
February 9, 2011 9:04:04 AM

My friend's PC have the same problem and the clock in windows got desconfigured everytime he boots.
may only need to change the battery?? havent opened his PC to try it though... :ange: 
m
l
February 9, 2011 9:09:06 AM

flucke said:
My friend's PC have the same problem and the clock in windows got desconfigured everytime he boots.
may only need to change the battery?? havent opened his PC to try it though... :ange: 

So you Think the battery is causing this problem ?
m
l
February 9, 2011 9:36:09 AM

nedialkata said:
So you Think the battery is causing this problem ?

At least, on my friend's PC certainly the problem is related with the battery (clock in windows restarts everytime he turn on PC)
I'll try changing the battery on my friend's PC when i have time
But I'm not any expert, if anybody do know if it works or not plz reply :) 
m
l
February 9, 2011 9:44:10 AM

flucke said:
At least, on my friend's PC certainly the problem is related with the battery (clock in windows restarts everytime he turn on PC)
I'll try changing the battery on my friend's PC when i have time
But I'm not any expert, if anybody do know if it works or not plz reply :) 

Actually i've heard that's true if clock in"windows" is lefting behind the battery
must be causing this problem !
m
l
February 9, 2011 10:51:44 AM

your motherboard is showing age - the last pic shows browning around the agp/ram/north bridge regulators - typical of ASUS for some reason (insufficient/poor components? or inefficient? etc)

id do the following:
take out the video card and ram and battery
spray the slots (agp and ram) with WD40/RP7 (PAINT them with it - harmless)
reseat the video and ONE stick of ram
insert the battery
boot and enter the bios - set ram to 2.6v, 333mhz (provided thats a 2.4C)
(if your fsb is 533mhz set the ram to 266mhz 2.6v)
save and exit (F10)

see how that goes

one last question - your heatsink is for a prescott celeron/p4 - its more likely you have a Celeron D 2.4 then a (extremely rare) Pentium 4 (Prescott core) 2.4ghz - check what CPUZ tells you about your CPU, its either what i said or that HSF is not the correct stock one (unlikely, not that it matters at all)

that and you do realize that Pentium 4's hell even Pentium D's and first gen Athlon 64/64 X2's are junk for todays standards? TIME FOR A NEW RIG

also - why are you worried about proving to us that you err... didnt.. overclock?
m
l
February 9, 2011 11:58:42 AM

i've checked and it shows PENTIUM 4
AND FSB 800MHz
m
l
February 9, 2011 12:09:24 PM

Anyway's i give up it's to dificult for me. I'l just have to wait until i buy a new comp !

m
l
February 9, 2011 12:28:28 PM

one last question - your heatsink is for a prescott celeron/p4 - its more likely you have a Celeron D 2.4 then a (extremely rare) Pentium 4 (Prescott core) 2.4ghz - check what CPUZ tells you about your CPU, its either what i said or that HSF is not the correct stock one (unlikely, not that it matters at all)

OK here :
I used EVEREST CPUID
http://img691.imageshack.us/i/dsc00215zf.jpg/
m
l
February 11, 2011 9:50:41 AM

Best answer selected by nedialkata.
m
l
December 4, 2012 4:51:56 AM

Well friends this problem really got into my nerves while I was still new to it and it required me to press the power button more than once before system actually boots up..After much despair and disappointment, what worked for me to get rid of this problem is what I am gonna post here..And its fairly simple,I swapped RAM..I have an MSI G41-P26 mainboard with the base of all x64 Intel CPUs, the humble old guy' pentium 4 ,3.00 GHz ,Cedar Mill V with 1 core and 2 logical processors.The CPU FSB is 200 MhZ and 2 x 2 GB Dynet DDR3 800 MHz Memory modules....The problem 'not booting at once'crept up in the machine with occasional annoying messages of 'overclocking failed' without doing so...The problem worsened still when amid such message, smell of something burning leaked out of the mainboard with system not responding at all from that point..,it would power on, fans would spin ,no beeps, no display.. So i one by one tested my memory modules and found that the problem rested on overclocked RAM modules, as they were in dual channel,and collectively clocking more than the prescribed DIMM frequency the Mainboard supplies with.So two things could be done, either underclock the RAM modules in BIOS by adjusting the Fsb DIMM ratio or pull out one of the RAM modules..so i am using only one of my 2 x2 GB memory modules rigorously checked for any faults.Bear in mind that one of your RAM modules might also be faulty...creating the problem..so overclocking means RAM issue usually.After I yanked out one of my RAMs, my system has been working fine..Hope you find 'what worked for me' useful!
m
l
April 2, 2013 4:44:31 AM

Samirbhai said:
Well friends this problem really got into my nerves while I was still new to it and it required me to press the power button more than once before system actually boots up..After much despair and disappointment, what worked for me to get rid of this problem is what I am gonna post here..And its fairly simple,I swapped RAM..I have an MSI G41-P26 mainboard with the base of all x64 Intel CPUs, the humble old guy' pentium 4 ,3.00 GHz ,Cedar Mill V with 1 core and 2 logical processors.The CPU FSB is 200 MhZ and 2 x 2 GB Dynet DDR3 800 MHz Memory modules....The problem 'not booting at once'crept up in the machine with occasional annoying messages of 'overclocking failed' without doing so...The problem worsened still when amid such message, smell of something burning leaked out of the mainboard with system not responding at all from that point..,it would power on, fans would spin ,no beeps, no display.. So i one by one tested my memory modules and found that the problem rested on overclocked RAM modules, as they were in dual channel,and collectively clocking more than the prescribed DIMM frequency the Mainboard supplies with.So two things could be done, either underclock the RAM modules in BIOS by adjusting the Fsb DIMM ratio or pull out one of the RAM modules..so i am using only one of my 2 x2 GB memory modules rigorously checked for any faults.Bear in mind that one of your RAM modules might also be faulty...creating the problem..so overclocking means RAM issue usually.After I yanked out one of my RAMs, my system has been working fine..Hope you find 'what worked for me' useful!

ACTUALLY I SOLD THIS PC, AND GOT RIT OF IT, NOW I AM WITH A LAPTOP ,NOT SO BAD LATITUDE 520 ,IT IS GOOD WORKING WELL ,BUT I 'M TRYING TO MAKE MY SELF A SYSTEM WITH A NEW MOBO ASUS P5G41T - MLX AND A PENTIUM DUAL CORE 5700 3.00GHz OR A SOME OTHER CPU AND PSU OF 600W AND SETRA .BUT STILL I HAVEN'T MAKE THE OLD ONE PC WORK ,THE ONE I SOLD ,BUT WHAT EVER THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY !!! bbs
m
l
February 6, 2014 7:26:42 AM

nedialkata said:

Any ideas ?

In my case BIOS update helped!!!!
m
l
!