Sign in with
Your question

CPU at 60-70% always.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2009 3:02:42 PM

Is it normal for my CPU to be running around 60% all the time?

My comp. was running fine a few days ago, and I was running Avast as my AV and never had any problems. I read a article from Toms saying that Avast wan't very good and Avira was one of the best free programs out there so I decided to get rid of Avast and get Avira.

About day after I got Avira I noticed that my computer was lagging behind really bad. I used to watch movies and play games at the same time on my comp. but now when I tried it would freeze for a few sec and lag really bag. I also couldn't play L4D by itself cause it was very jump, but I was staying at a constant 50-60 frames the whole time.

Thats when I checked my CPU usage in the task manager and it was staying around 60% when I had no programs open, and when I did have something open it would jump to 90-100% depending on the program. I thought I had a virus on my computer but running AVira and Super anti spyware came up with nothing, so I uninstalled Avira and got AVG free and ran a scan with it but still nothing was found..

I also didn't see anything out of place in the processes tab in the task manager.

yall have any ideas on what else could be bogging down my computer?

Thanks,
Typeo

More about : cpu

August 1, 2009 3:11:07 PM

You can try this. Download Process evplorer. Open it, and look for hardware interrupts, they shouldnt be more than 1-2% of usage. If its high, could be an IRQ issue
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 3:16:54 PM

run hijackthis and post a log, I would also run malwarebytes. they both can be obtained from filehippo

Related resources
August 1, 2009 3:23:47 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
You can try this. Download Process evplorer. Open it, and look for hardware interrupts, they shouldnt be more than 1-2% of usage. If its high, could be an IRQ issue

Here is what I came up with, with Process Explorer.. Wasnt to sure where the Hardware Interupts were so I took a SS instead to let ya see it.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g109/JerbearJr/Sysexp...

Quote:
run hijackthis and post a log, I would also run malwarebytes. they both can be obtained from filehippo

Ill start on that right now.
August 1, 2009 3:44:06 PM

Obviously, your avg is eating all your cpu cycles. Check to see if its scanning, as it is a slooooow scan. If not, get rid of it, all of it. As an example Im using avg, tired of paying for McAfee, and switched, while its slower, its working, and typically draws less than 1% usage on my cpu, unless scanning
August 1, 2009 3:50:13 PM

Why would my AVG be using so much, and yours so little?

Also, running Malwarebytes now and seeing what it comes up with.
August 1, 2009 3:55:49 PM

Ran the explorer again and now the AVG is not up there at all and my CPU usage has dropped down into the 30% range. Don't know what happened but something made it a bit better.

August 1, 2009 4:04:30 PM

It could have been scanning, tho if not, thats unusually high cpu usage for system checks. Did you check to see if it was scanning when your cpu usage was high? If you didnt, if this happens again, check to see if its scanning, you can pause it, say if your gaming, or doing whatever
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 4:34:42 PM

look for the scheduler in avg, and turn off all scheduled scans, the real time protection does its job well. i used to have the same problem until i realized exactly how many resources r used when running a virus scan.
August 1, 2009 5:04:42 PM

ok cool, thanks a bunch for the help.

One more question though.. What should a computers CPU usage be when no programs are running?
August 1, 2009 5:07:24 PM

That depends, if you have a real time malware detector going, and you anti virus goin, plus a few other apps maybe doing a few small things, anywheres from 1-7%
August 1, 2009 5:11:14 PM

Hmm, wonder whines staying around 30ish percent... Any other Ideas I might be able to try? So far Malwarebytes has come up empty as well. ANd I have a good CPU, so I should be able to handle a decent amount of stuff.
August 1, 2009 5:23:28 PM

Whats using that 30%?
August 1, 2009 5:33:18 PM

In the processes tab is looks like what is using all my CPU is a files called Svchost.exe.

There anywhere between 1-4 in the processes tab at any time. One is using 30-50% CPU, the other 2-3 are using anywhere from 1-9 CPU.

I just rebooted and the comp. is now back to 50% cpu usage and there are no scans running.
August 1, 2009 5:43:09 PM

You can see them here.

I googled a bit and I found that Svchost.exe processes is a normal windows process, but if its using allot of CPU them it could most likely be a virus. Although I have ran so many virus / Maleware / Spyware scans and only 1 came back saying it found something, and them it removed them and I rebooted windows, but im still having the same problem.

I'm stumped.
August 1, 2009 5:57:30 PM

Well I did a bit more research and found out by hoving your mouse over the Svchost.exe that is using all the CPU you can see what it actualy runs. And in this case it runs "DCOM service Process launcher" which is a important and runs all these applications.

http://itsvista.com/2007/04/dcom-server-process-launche...

So, I know a little more about it, but still no idea how to fix it.. /sigh :pfff: 
August 1, 2009 6:00:35 PM

have you tried scanning for rootkits?
August 1, 2009 6:05:18 PM

Does Avira Free / AVG Free / SuperAntiSpyware / Malewarebytes scan for rootkits? If so than I have. If they don't then I have not scanned for rootkits.

Do you know of a good Rootkit scanner / removal Program?
a c 95 à CPUs
August 1, 2009 6:18:45 PM

post your HijackThis log ...
August 1, 2009 6:27:46 PM

Sorry, here it is.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:27:13 PM, on 8/1/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18813)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\dpupdchk.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.forex-finance-trading.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.forex-finance-trading.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.forex-finance-trading.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itype] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {B3E32D88-8E7F-468F-B0E2-3A300FD4A82C} (Enlite 2.x Simulation Engine Installer) - http://myitlab.pearsoncmg.com/webwiz/s/stub.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/fl...
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/bingame/popcaploader_v10.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - AMD - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe

--
End of file - 6411 bytes
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 6:37:48 PM

that was hapnin to me a few years back, i had to reinstall windows to stop it
svchost is kind of hard to mess with since its a system file

try uninstalling anything u installed in the few days prior to the spike in cpu usage
i just got to thinking, since svc host is actually a host for the services to run on, it might be a service that was installed that is causing this, if you think its still sumtin malicious, get eset nod 32\64 antivirus, ive never seen anything that could not handle
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 6:40:32 PM

worth a try, upgrade to vista sp2, if ur usin a cracked system, dont do that, it might not feel like booting after
August 1, 2009 6:49:58 PM

Would it be worth going to windows 7 if I need to do a format? Or would just getting SP2 be better?

And Im now 100% positive, but I think when all this started happening when after I did some windows updates. But it might of been something else I installed around that time... Not sure what it could of been though.. Could a windows Update do this?
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 6:53:50 PM

after exausting all options try sp2, if that dosent work, hello windows 7, make sure and get a copy that dosent xpire in march
August 1, 2009 6:59:34 PM

Wheres the bets place to get a good copy of windows 7 that doesn't expire in march?
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 7:13:21 PM

theres this website that was all over the media rescently, because people were downloading things from their site that connected them to copyrited content stored on other peoples computers, what was the name of that site again????
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2009 7:14:18 PM

if u cant figure that out then just buy it wen it comes out
August 1, 2009 7:55:57 PM

Just got done installing windows SP2, and im still running over 50% cpu usage.

Hmm, I would like to stay away from a reformat, but if that is all I have left to do. Any other ideas I might be able to try before a Format?
a c 95 à CPUs
August 1, 2009 8:08:06 PM

You have a lot of stuff that automatically launches at boot but nothing that really jumps out as bad to your system.

A good bit of what you are launching automatically at boot however can simply be launched 'manually' when you start a program (after the computer has already booted).

Also - many applications will 'auto-update' in the background if you do not make an effort to disable the function from within the 'preference' menu (typically under the 'options' tab from a 'Tools' menu).

If you do choose to disable an 'auto update' in a program you will need to manually update as appropriate. I generally choose the 'manual' method because it irks the crap outa me when an update kicks in and I might get a slight 'system stutter' or drive thrash. I also like to keep committed system resources as low as possible because I use some apps that when launched that can eat resources up.

I'm not suggesting this to you but IIRC I worked on a system will a problem similar to yours - I believe I put those 3 or 4 Apple services on 'manual' and the system booted a bit quicker - and the 'cpu utilization' issue was minimized. BUT there were also a few other registry hooks that I nuked so I can't be 100% certain.

SO - I would suggest backing up the registry, setting a restore point and then nuking processes at your pleasure - LOL. GOOGLE any process you may have a question about and make a determination as to if it may be the culprit. If you have a problem a recovery will be as simple as reinstalling a driver or application --- with your registry copy and restore point as a backstop.

Good luck!

edit: I did a quick check on "" KHALMNPR.EXE "" and found this about cpu utilization.
August 1, 2009 8:23:33 PM

Agreed. By turning off your services you can identify that arent needed, one by one, you may find which one is causing it. If you find the right one, Id dump it and reinstall it, just make sure its not a critcal app/service first and that its easily replaced
Process explorer has auto internet lookup on them, by right clicking on them, and choosing
August 1, 2009 8:46:23 PM

That's what I read to figure out what that particular Svchost.exe was, but after doing a bit more reading after I figured out what it was, It was something I could not disable, because it was very important, and that it deals with a lot of individual programs.

"DCOM service Process launcher"

Ill try out what Wisecracked said and see if I cant get it to working when I get back from work. Ill throw ya a update when I find more stuff out.

Thanks a bunch,
Typeo
August 1, 2009 9:35:57 PM

You tried the other services? Or, is dcom not also using/broken down with other services? Like in a tree in windows explorer, it branches, you gont have to cut the limb
August 1, 2009 9:38:30 PM

"You can trim down unneeded services by disabling or stopping the services that don’t absolutely need to be running. Additionally, if you are noticing very heavy CPU usage on a single svchost.exe instance you can restart the services running under that instance.

The biggest problem is identifying what services are being run on a particular svchost.exe instance… we’ll cover that below."

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-sv...
August 1, 2009 9:45:31 PM

"First off I would like to thank both of you guys for helping me,
after more searching and doing some troubleshooting I have come
to the solution of my problem. It seems that the new audio enchantments
by windows was interfering with my Realtek 3D SoundBack beta drivers
and older realtek drivers in general. the main source for my solution was

http://blog.hansmelis.be/2007/06/17/...-media-player/

For those with this same problem it all came down to DCOM Server Process Launcher and Plug and Play

I hope this helps anyone with this problem

and the reason for me having this problem on a fresh install is due to Realtek HD audio drivers being installed automatically by windows stop that from happening, install new drivers and your gold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-vista/513370-system-pr...
OK, this shows that you can shut down services under dcom, not the whole thing but:
Download Process Explorer as Strider already suggested and run it. Go to View -> Select Columns and enable "Command Line" option. THen find ther svchost service launched with -k DcomLaunch switch, right click on it and choose Properties. Select the Threads tab and find out which thread taking up maximum CPU.
August 2, 2009 5:17:23 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the help again. In the process of reading it all. Just got back from work so Ill give some of this a shot and see what I cant come up with.
August 2, 2009 5:29:28 AM

Well now it is hard to fix it cause there seems to no longer be a problem. My CPU is down to about 5% usage and that particular Scvhost.exe is no longer taking up all my CPU.

It was still having issues before I went to work, so I shut down my comp. while I was at work but now since I got back home and booted my comp. It is now working fine. Which is a good thing, but I really wanted to figure out exsactly how to fix it in case it happens again.

Thanks so much for all your help. If it starts acting up, ill be sure to let yall know.

Thanks,
Typeo
August 2, 2009 5:35:10 AM

Well at least now you know where to look, and what to do
August 2, 2009 5:25:18 PM

Ya, I bookmarked this thread in case it happens again. All the help was awesome and like ya said, Ill know what to do in case it happens again.
!