ghostly maunderings

Hmm, I've been running some families to make ghosts for some empty
houses I intend to fill. And I've noticed a few things.

Ever notice that if death takes someone near a bathroom he stops to use
the facilities?

What triggers some tombstones to go gold? It doesn't seem to be life
goals or aspirations achieved.

Ever notice that sims who are about to die naked take the time to get
dressed first?

Or that you survive a fire but be so very redded out that you cannot
manage to eat and so die anyway?

That it actually is rather difficult to get sims to die of anything
except old age (barring walling them in to starve them or drown them)?

That making ghosts has the added benefits of giving a new house
floorplan a good tryout (especailly when run faster speeds a lot) and
of leaving some cheap furnishings around for the next family?

Anyway, if anyone is looking for more ghostly lots, I've uploaded a
couple of starter homes (under $20K with some furnishings installed)
with active ghosts (and will upload a few more over the next few days
as I have time). If you search for "ghosts" and empty lots, you'll
find around 3 dozen lots uploaded by assorted people that say they have
ghosts. (There are many more lots with families and ghosts.)
19 answers Last reply
More about ghostly maunderings

    As the book says "Elders with at least Gold Aspiration score at passing get
    a special fancy marker that displays their Aspirational moniker."
    Thus, the gold headstones and urns.

    DeAnn wrote:

    > Or that you survive a fire but be so very redded out that you cannot
    > manage to eat and so die anyway?

    LOL I once had an extremely pregnant mother, due to deliver
    any minute, die from starvation as she was sitting down to
    her place at the table! Unfortunately, she was alone except
    for the maid, so there was nobody to plead for her :( Imagine
    when dad came home from work and found his wife *and* soon-to-be
    child dead!

    Laura

    Get a cowplant (see post above), or the new "running with scissors" item.
    Those death scissors killed my sims wife, then killed the adult daughter
    WHILE the husband was pleading for the wife's life!
    BTW
    He won, 2 for 2, they're both happy to be not dead, and the scissors sold
    for $20

    DeAnn wrote:

    > What triggers some tombstones to go gold? It doesn't seem to be life
    > goals or aspirations achieved.

    It is actually. If they die of old age in a platinum mood they leave a gold
    coloured urn and tombstone.

    Gareeth

    Aahz wrote:
    > Get a cowplant (see post above), or the new "running with scissors"
    > item. Those death scissors killed my sims wife, then killed the adult
    > daughter WHILE the husband was pleading for the wife's life!
    > BTW
    > He won, 2 for 2, they're both happy to be not dead, and the scissors
    > sold for $20

    And I, OTOH, downloaded those scissors so I could get rid of a couple of
    pesky sims, only to have them running all over the place with them for hours
    and hours and nothing happened. Oh well.

    Jeanie

    DeAnn wrote:
    > Hmm, I've been running some families to make ghosts for some empty
    > houses I intend to fill. And I've noticed a few things.
    >
    > Ever notice that if death takes someone near a bathroom he stops to use
    > the facilities?

    I had a Sim die IN the bathroom and death came and didn't whiz or plotz.

    > What triggers some tombstones to go gold?

    If the Sim had lots of hit singles while alive.

    > It doesn't seem to be life
    > goals or aspirations achieved.

    Seriously, don't know. Never seen it.

    > Ever notice that sims who are about to die naked take the time to get
    > dressed first?

    That I'd love to see.

    > Or that you survive a fire but be so very redded out that you cannot
    > manage to eat and so die anyway?

    A serious danger of fires, yes.

    > That it actually is rather difficult to get sims to die of anything
    > except old age (barring walling them in to starve them or drown them)?

    Actually, I have one house with diagonal walls at each corner. For some
    reason Sims will get stuck in the corner, even though there's space
    there for them to pass. They just stand there and wave till they die.
    I have to keep making sure no one is stuck at the corners of my house,
    and no, trees are not blocking the way. Very annoying as the Sim
    actually has plenty of room to move.

    > That making ghosts has the added benefits of giving a new house
    > floorplan a good tryout (especailly when run faster speeds a lot) and
    > of leaving some cheap furnishings around for the next family?

    Huh?

    --
    --Cuth

    BluLtng wrote:
    > As the book says "Elders with at least Gold Aspiration score at passing get
    > a special fancy marker that displays their Aspirational moniker."
    > Thus, the gold headstones and urns.

    Well, my Mortimer Goth had platinum and he didn't get anything but a
    regular ol' marker.

    --
    --Cuth

    You should pack that one up and send it to Granny.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Actually, I have one house with diagonal walls at each corner. For some
    > reason Sims will get stuck in the corner, even though there's space
    > there for them to pass. They just stand there and wave till they die.
    > I have to keep making sure no one is stuck at the corners of my house,
    > and no, trees are not blocking the way. Very annoying as the Sim
    > actually has plenty of room to move.
    >
    > --Cuth

    You sure he didn't drop below just as he died?

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

    MM

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > BluLtng wrote:
    >> As the book says "Elders with at least Gold Aspiration score at
    >> passing get a special fancy marker that displays their Aspirational
    >> moniker."
    >> Thus, the gold headstones and urns.
    >
    > Well, my Mortimer Goth had platinum and he didn't get anything but a
    > regular ol' marker.

    Really? He got a golden one in my game. It looks odd out there in that
    cemetary, though.

    Jeanie

    > You should pack that one up and send it to Granny.

    Why for? Are you insinuating I would /like/ a house full of Sims, wasting
    away?
    I suppose one could turn it into a TB sanitorium, old style.

    I could suggest putting a door in each corner. I did that with an
    multi-octagonal house. Doors/windows only allowed on the diagonal. It was
    terrible to furnish and play.

    Though I have noticed in one house, where I have a bow window, the centre
    being three squares wide, just the right size for a chess board and two
    chairs, that at the one end Sims often complain that they can't get out.
    There is plenty of space. Idiots.

    Granny

    "Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > You should pack that one up and send it to Granny.
    >
    > Why for? Are you insinuating I would /like/ a house full of Sims, wasting
    > away?
    > I suppose one could turn it into a TB sanitorium, old style.

    See - didn't take you long to find a use for it, did it?

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > "Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > You should pack that one up and send it to Granny.
    >>
    >> Why for? Are you insinuating I would /like/ a house full of Sims, wasting
    >> away?
    >> I suppose one could turn it into a TB sanitorium, old style.
    >>
    > See - didn't take you long to find a use for it, did it?

    Shhh. I STILL think we should have a hospital/clinic expansion pack. A bit
    like Theme Hospital, bloaty-head and all.
    With a wing for the nervously exhausted.
    One Sim could phone up on another's behalf?
    'Please come and take my wife/husband away. I think he needs help.'
    Babies delivered in comfort instead of on the bathroom floor? Visitors
    bearing grapes?

    Apart from galloping old-age, is there a wasting desease? I am thinking of
    Dear Goopy here. He turned up in my town square and was rude to ... oh
    lor... the blonde Curious bloke. And him fresh to the neighbourhood as well
    and swanning out to meet women. Who did he meet? Goopy and Marge Simpson.
    There is no justice.

    GG.

    Oh brilliant - yes, yes - we could play at doctors and nurses to our hearts
    delight! I insist you send that suggestion to Maxis right now. Ahh Bloaty
    Head - I loved that game. Remember the kipper tie tongue?

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    PS Vidcund - I told you before.

    > Oh brilliant - yes, yes - we could play at doctors and nurses to our
    > hearts
    > delight! I insist you send that suggestion to Maxis right now. Ahh
    > Bloaty
    > Head - I loved that game. Remember the kipper tie tongue?
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > PS Vidcund - I told you before.

    Aw, nuts. It's my age. Really. I am forgetting things. names, especially,
    like whats-his-name, that bloke who is currently talking away to me from the
    back bedroom. I think he is on about motorbike racing or something.
    'Yes, dear....'

    Thanks to this group, and I suspect you in particular, I actually bought
    Theme Hospital again round Christmas time. I did about three hospitals and
    thought ;Why am I doing this??'
    'No, dear...'
    Now I am wishing I hadn;t given away all my Sim1 discs and downloads. I
    hadn't played it for years but....
    <bright voice> 'Really, came second, did he?' (What IS he on about? )
    My biggest moans are Black and White which just will not run on XP and
    Industry Giant II, ditto, despite all the patches and fixes.
    'No I am NOT thinking about making a cup of tea, dear....'
    As for theme Hospital I kept drowning in a sea of vomit and couldn't fight
    infections fast enough to progress. 8(

    GG.

    > > Oh brilliant - yes, yes - we could play at doctors and nurses to our
    > > hearts
    > > delight! I insist you send that suggestion to Maxis right now. Ahh
    > > Bloaty
    > > Head - I loved that game. Remember the kipper tie tongue?
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > > Maxon
    > >
    > > PS Vidcund - I told you before.
    > >
    > Aw, nuts. It's my age. Really. I am forgetting things. names, especially,
    > like whats-his-name, that bloke who is currently talking away to me from
    the
    > back bedroom. I think he is on about motorbike racing or something.
    > 'Yes, dear....'
    >
    > Thanks to this group, and I suspect you in particular, I actually bought
    > Theme Hospital again round Christmas time. I did about three hospitals and
    > thought ;Why am I doing this??'

    I deny ALL responsibility. (Are you saying it works with XP? - hmmm...)

    > 'No, dear...'
    > Now I am wishing I hadn;t given away all my Sim1 discs and downloads. I
    > hadn't played it for years but....
    > <bright voice> 'Really, came second, did he?' (What IS he on about? )
    > My biggest moans are Black and White which just will not run on XP and
    > Industry Giant II, ditto, despite all the patches and fixes.

    Industry Giant - Really? I have that too and it works on mine. I have the
    expansion installed as well. I like playing at trains. B&W won't run
    though. I'm currently playing Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines which, to
    my surprise, I realised was classed as an 18 certificate when I got it home.
    You don't get to build anything in that but you do get to swear a lot. I
    keep having to turn the sound down so my man-in-the-back-bedroom doesn't
    hear it and have his delicate sensibilities offended. Fortunately, he's a
    bit deaf ever since an encounter with an over-enthusiastic drummer at a rock
    concert (this is an occupational hazard for rock musicians - he's retired
    now and fixes hospital equipment these days and that should probably worry
    you). My other favourite is Neverwinter Nights but I've been playing that
    for a long time now - they're bringing out the next version next year.

    > 'No I am NOT thinking about making a cup of tea, dear....'
    > As for theme Hospital I kept drowning in a sea of vomit and couldn't fight
    > infections fast enough to progress. 8(

    I still say that a hospital expansion for the Sims is a great suggestion - I
    really do think you should send it in to Maxis. I'm waiting with baited
    breath for Inge Jones of SimLogical to make her school hacks for Sims 2 (if
    you're reading this Inge, that's a hint!).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    >> Thanks to this group, and I suspect you in particular, I actually bought
    >> Theme Hospital again round Christmas time. I did about three hospitals
    >> and
    >> thought ;Why am I doing this??'
    >
    > I deny ALL responsibility. (Are you saying it works with XP? - hmmm...)

    Yus. It cost £4.99 Sold Out Software.

    >> Industry Giant II, ditto, despite all the patches and fixes.
    >

    > Industry Giant - Really? I have that too and it works on mine.

    Oh DRAT!
    I think it is the luck of the draw. Going into the game forums and reading
    the posts there there seem to be a few (me included) who end up trying
    everything without luck.

    I have the
    > expansion installed as well. I like playing at trains.

    It's a lovely program. Can just sit back and watch it go.

    B&W won't run
    > though.

    And the House eventually brought out B&W II, instead of a patch. Is it EA?
    Whatever, it must have been too complicated to fix. Another Drat!

    I'm currently playing Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines which, to
    > my surprise, I realised was classed as an 18 certificate when I got it
    > home.
    > You don't get to build anything in that but you do get to swear a lot. I
    > keep having to turn the sound down so my man-in-the-back-bedroom doesn't
    > hear it and have his delicate sensibilities offended. Fortunately, he's a
    > bit deaf ever since an encounter with an over-enthusiastic drummer at a
    > rock
    > concert (this is an occupational hazard for rock musicians - he's retired
    > now and fixes hospital equipment these days and that should probably worry
    > you).

    ?????

    My other favourite is Neverwinter Nights but I've been playing that
    > for a long time now - they're bringing out the next version next year.

    That rings a bell. Can't imagine why. I will look it up.
    Oh, is it a online game? I must have met someone who played it in the past.

    > I still say that a hospital expansion for the Sims is a great suggestion -
    > really do think you should send it in to Maxis. I'm waiting with baited
    > breath for Inge Jones of SimLogical to make her school hacks for Sims 2
    > (if
    > you're reading this Inge, that's a hint!).

    Maxis can live without my suggestions else I would tell them what I think
    about their merry pranks. Turned half my sims into giggling morons.

    GG.

    DeAnn wrote:
    > Ever notice that if death takes someone near a bathroom he stops to use
    > the facilities?

    Not always, I had one of my earliest sims die IN the bathroom and death
    was all too efficient. (And it was before I discovered that you can
    plead with death!)

    > Ever notice that sims who are about to die naked take the time to get
    > dressed first?

    Yes, and that they then haunt in those clothes forever after. I had an
    elder sim who had a job as a team mascot. One day he arrived home in
    the mascot suit - death was waiting for him to step out of the car and
    reaped him right there. Now he haunts that lot in the mascot outfit.

    > That it actually is rather difficult to get sims to die of anything
    > except old age (barring walling them in to starve them or drown them)?

    You don't have to wall them in to starve them, just make the phone
    inaccessible (eg put something in front of it) and they'll run out of
    food... eventually.

    Another technique if you have the patience is to get them to do all their
    own repairs of household electricals!

    jon
    --
    ____________________ ____ ___________________________________________________
    With metta from: \ _/__ Run to the fire exit

    Jon TMW <jon@serf.org> wrote in

    > DeAnn wrote:
    >> Ever notice that if death takes someone near a bathroom he stops to
    >> use the facilities?
    >
    > Not always, I had one of my earliest sims die IN the bathroom and
    > death was all too efficient. (And it was before I discovered that you
    > can plead with death!)

    My daughter created a cheerleader squad for the UNI expansion, then
    sealed off the dorm, so the dorm would be haunted by a bunch of
    cheerleader ghosts.

    After the reaper took the last one, he went to the bathroom and sat on
    the toilet for quite a long time. She got several funny pictures of
    Death on the Throne.

    > You don't have to wall them in to starve them, just make the phone
    > inaccessible (eg put something in front of it) and they'll run out of
    > food... eventually.
    >
    > Another technique if you have the patience is to get them to do all
    > their own repairs of household electricals!

    Running with scissors can be very effective as well.

    --
    "...The job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which
    strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater

    http://www.aros.net/~jchapman - The Wiblovian Institute of Kibology

Sims Games Video Games