Overclocking for a NOOB!

jeremymaillet

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hello,
I'm quite new to overclocking. I've learned enough about computer i thought , but am very new to the overclocking part.
I'm running an
MSI P35 Neo2 MoBo.
E8500 processor
8 gigs of ram (4 x 2gbs 800mhz)
ATI 6850 graphics card

Lets try to make this machine purrr

nuqq

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Since you didn't give any information about your CPU cooling, I must ask if you are running a stock cooler ?

If so I would highly recommend that you purchase an adequate cooling solution before you start messing around with your chip.

That being said, Overclocking is somewhat simple if you understand the basics.

So your CPU speed is determined by Multiplier (which you cannot change unless you have an Extreme Edition CPU) and your FSB. The FBS or Front Side Bus is what you will be playing around with in order to move your clock speed higher.

Stock your CPU runs @3.16GHz which can be translated into 9.5 * 333Mhz (Multiplier * FSB)

In order to obtain a higher clock speed you'll have to bump that FSB higher, for example:

Bumping your FSB to 350 would give you a clock speed of 3.325GHz
Bumping your FSB to 400 would give you a clock speed of 3.8GHz

*Max FSB will depend on your board, do your research for example my P45 board will not stabilize easily over 450FSB.

You could probably get it to run higher, but you need to be able to maintain stability.

The stability of your Overclock can be determined by a lot of softwares out there, personally I use Intel Burn Test (IBT) to get a quick idea of what I'm working with as it only takes about 2-3minutes to check if my computer is instable or not after changing some settings. But IBT isn't enough for you to declare your overclock as being stable. To do so I recommend running Prime95 (which can be found free of cost on the internet) for a solid 12Hours (at least) it will check for rounding errors while your system is under intense workload.

You also need to think about heat, on an Intel chip I'd advise you to never go 75c when your chip is completly maxed out (100% workload on all cores).

Another thing I didn't speak about is VCORE which is how much current you are putting in your chip, this will need to be adjusted accordingly in order to maintain stability at higher clock speeds. DO NOT GO OVER 1.35V on a LGA775 Chip, you will damage it permanently!

As I don't feel like going over all the options you'll need to disable in order to overlock your CPU, you'll want to read on it thoroughly before embarking on this journey.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a cookie cutter recipe for your specifics board/ram/cpu combination it doesn't work that way. Every chip is different, for example my Q9450 is stable @3.60GHz but it requires higher Voltage than my buddy's CPU, and we have the exact same setup.

This might help you in your quest for greatness :) : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

Patience, and Good Luck!