Recommendation for desktop wireless solution

andune

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I'll be moving next month and wired internet is not really a feasible option (nor is modification to the building that would make it feasible), so I'm forced to go with wireless internet access. Wondering if anyone has had any experience or knowledge of some general recommendations for a quality wireless card. Signal strength is kinda shaky but I don't own the router hardware so I need something with a good antenna and supports 802.11G networking (supporting N would be nice for flexibility).

I do have a gigabit network port on the motherboard so I can continue to wire my own components through a separate switch. I'm hesistant to try an external solution due to bad experiences in the past with a particular Linksys 'range expander' that the comcast router insisted on assigning the same IP as the router itself. Nonetheless, if anyone knows any good options that don't require messing with the router firmware (I can't, leased from Comcast), then I'm all ears.

My motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136065R&Tpk=t3eh6

Only one of the PCIe slots is currently in use.

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I would recommend this:

LINKSYS WMP300Nhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124351

It sounds like your issue is either has to do with the distance from the Comcast Modem/Router/AP device to your PC, or the materials used in the building causing interference with the radio (wifi) signal.

If it is an issue of range and the Comcast unit is providing a weak signal, why not buy yourself a plain old cable modem and then attach a decent router to it that you can have control over?

If the issue is being caused by some sort of interference, then it isn't an issue that buying new equipment can fix, but that quality equipment can sometimes improve upon.

Good luck!

andune

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.

The 'issue' is mainly distance and structure. The room is separated from the router/ap by a floor and substantial distance. A decent antenna should still be ok though, as I do have [barely] sufficient signal strength on my laptop.

I am not the contracted party on the Comcast service. Since he has elected to rent the modem and router from Comcast, I'm stuck with their firmware which locks out certain functions for the home user. I tried to fix this setup some time ago before I'd even considered moving in, but a six-hour support call with Linksys got me nowhere.

TRENDING THREADS