Sign in with
Your question

Why has memory gotten more expensive the past few months?

Last response: in Memory
October 16, 2009 1:05:53 PM

Just wondering why computer memory has gone up in price the last few months? Anyone know why? I was going to buy 4GB more of DDR2 800 memory for when I install Windows 7, but the memory has gone up from around $50 to $70 plus. Guess I should have bought it sooner, but did not want to since I run Windows XP 32 bit atm and it would have been no use.....
a c 163 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2009 1:26:11 PM

You could buy now, and save this till you install win 7 on your computer. But, the price, in many times depends more from the seller that the manufacturer. Look for a better price on internet.
m
l
October 16, 2009 1:35:18 PM

DDR2 has gotten much more expensive in the last couple of months, at least here in the UK. About 2 months ago I got 2x2Gb Crucial ballistix 800Mhz for £36.99. Now most etailers this side of the pond want about £50 for the same kit...
m
l
October 16, 2009 7:25:35 PM

Yeah i was thinking about upgrading my ram soon as well, since a couple months ago it wasn't unheard of finding 2x2 gigs of DDR2 800 ram for around $20-25 after rebate, was planning on picking up a pack or 2, or mabey blow 10-15 on a 2x1 gigs pack for my comp, but it seems prices have pretty much doubled.

Hopefully the price drops down again soon.
m
l
October 16, 2009 10:49:50 PM

My guess? Companies know people will be upgrading for Windows 7. As that date approaches, the prices creep upwards.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2009 12:16:53 AM

The price was to low to long. They cut back supplies, now they can actually make a profit again. The only way it will go down is if the supply grows to much again. It most likely will since for a few more dollars you can get a ddr3 mobo and ram. If your stuck on a ddr2 mobo your screwed. I wont be buying DDR2 mobos as long as the DDR2 ram is at DDR3 prices.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 17, 2009 12:23:14 AM

goatfarmer said:
Just wondering why computer memory has gone up in price the last few months? Anyone know why? I was going to buy 4GB more of DDR2 800 memory for when I install Windows 7, but the memory has gone up from around $50 to $70 plus. Guess I should have bought it sooner, but did not want to since I run Windows XP 32 bit atm and it would have been no use.....

Well, it's a tough answer, but memory prices are going up to where they "should be". There was a huge over-supply of RAM that drove prices down below manufacturing cost, and companies can't stay in business forever selling at a loss. It's unfortunate, but eventually they had to either cut production or close their doors.
m
l
!