Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Part Number of RAM missing (CPU-Z)

Last response: in Memory
October 16, 2009 2:03:18 PM

My new bought memory (KVR800D2N6/2G) has this following data as shown using CPU-Z execpt for one item Part Number (encircled)

Is this normal and is this an authentic Kingston ram?

When I cheack the ram using memtest86, it passed the test.
The chips on the ram says ELPIDA...
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 2:33:38 PM

The people at CPUZ for whatever reason did not include the part number. Who knows, maybe a fee has to be paid to include the distributors own part number. You can always look on the DIMM itself for an identifying number. Normal.
m
l
October 16, 2009 9:23:35 PM

badge said:
The people at CPUZ for whatever reason did not include the part number. Who knows, maybe a fee has to be paid to include the distributors own part number. You can always look on the DIMM itself for an identifying number. Normal.

How come if I insert another ram, same manufacturer (Kingston), the Part Number shows?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 9:31:54 PM

Could be CPUZ does not list part numbers for 'value' RAM. There is no reason for concern. How about send an email to CPUZ support and ask them.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 9:37:26 PM

Quote:
The chips on the ram says ELPIDA...

Kingston is not a RAM 'chipmaker'. Kingston is a RAM 'distributor' who markets RAM from many chipmakers including Elpedia. Elpedia is a 'chipmaker'. Kingston may sell RAM from chipmakers like Micron for example. Micron is a 'chipmaker' and the parent company of Crucial, their 'distributor'. Same as Corsair is NOT a chipmaker. They are a RAM distributor who get their chips from whichever 'chipmaker' that gives the best deal especially so for their 'value' RAM. Kingston 'value' RAM like you have is generally better quality than Corsair value RAM. The best 'performance' RAM Corsair offers are Micron chips. So when you buy RAM from Kingston, Corsiar, G. Skill, etc. do the research and be sure you are getting the 'chip' you want. All of these 'distributors' sell the better performing 'Micron' chips for example. The distributors usually call the better chips names like Extinguisator, Dominator, Ballistic, Asskickers, etc.
October 17, 2009 7:44:13 AM

OK.. I see, thanks for the info
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2009 7:46:36 AM

You're welome.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2009 5:51:20 PM

The part number is part of the SPD ROM on the DIMM module (see: this Wikipedia page). I'd be very surprised if CPUz does anything other than simply display the contents of that field, so my guess is that your module simply has nothing encoded in that section of the SPD data.

I have DDR3 ECC Kingston RAM and CPUz shows a part number for it.
m
l
!