HEEELP FSX BOTTLENECK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, this is the situation, i did this build for fsx, but three weeks ago i got GEX and UTX, these two for those of you who dont know what im talking about are two graphics addons for FSX.


Whell the thing is that after i installed them i had a 10 fps drop. the i uninstalled the but i didnt get the 10 fps, back.
Because this was drivin me nuts, i decided to uninstall FSX completely and reinstall it again, and after i completed the instalation of all the things i had installed before, FSX was still running the same way

Now, last week i got my CPU cooler COoler master HYPER 212 plus, so i overclocked my cpu to 3.4 ghz, nothing happened, so i went a little bit further and went to 3.7 ghz, same ***. FSX runs the same. After all this i scanned my pc with several antivirus programs, and everything is clean, and a friend of mine told me hey you got bottleneck. So im asking you now, what do you think i should do about it??
Any recomendations??

Here is the hardware:

-Intel i5 750 2.66ghz stock. 3.420ghz overclocked
-MSI P55 GD55
-ATI XFX 5770 1gb ddr5
-4gb ddr3 memory 1600 mhz
-1TB 7200rpm WDC
-LG dvdrw drive
-Sentey 900w Power supply 80 plus certified

HELP PLEASE!!!
10 answers Last reply
More about heeelp bottleneck
  1. -Make sure you didn't set some feature in CCC like forcing AA or whatever.

    -If you changed driver versions, try reverting to the last ones you used.

    -A 5770 isn't that powerful and is more than likely the bottleneck

    -Try overclocking the 5770

    -Buy a 2nd 5770 for CF or upgrade to a much better card
  2. Yeah, overclocking doesn't do anything for games once you have enough processing horsepower.

    And you do have a bottleneck, but that wouldn't explain losing 10 FPS in a game.

    More than likely, those graphics add-ons do something to the base graphics of the game. It could be that they make the graphical quality better so the game takes more GPU horsepower to run. That would result in the FPS falling like you describe.

    Unless you are on the ragged edge of being able to play the game smoothly, the FPS doesn't matter. Sure, 80 FPS sounds better than 70 FPS, but it doesn't mean the game plays better.

    It's possible that the uninstall isn't removing everything. Folders and settings routinely get left behind after uninstalls are run. Programs like CCCleaner can help rid your system of settings that are no longer required by the apps you have installed.
  3. wolfram23 said:
    -Make sure you didn't set some feature in CCC like forcing AA or whatever.

    -If you changed driver versions, try reverting to the last ones you used.

    -A 5770 isn't that powerful and is more than likely the bottleneck

    -Try overclocking the 5770




    Ok, firstof all Thank you very much for your answer, i really appreciatte it.

    Could you explain me what does it mean when you say "set some feature in CCC", i dont know what ccc is.

    And, about the video card, i know its not the best GPU, but it was as far as i could get at the time. Im thinking about overclocking it too, but i dont know how to do it yet. Could you recommed any guide for me.

    Once again Thanks.....
  4. Leaps-from-Shadows said:
    Yeah, overclocking doesn't do anything for games once you have enough processing horsepower.

    And you do have a bottleneck, but that wouldn't explain losing 10 FPS in a game.

    More than likely, those graphics add-ons do something to the base graphics of the game. It could be that they make the graphical quality better so the game takes more GPU horsepower to run. That would result in the FPS falling like you describe.

    Unless you are on the ragged edge of being able to play the game smoothly, the FPS doesn't matter. Sure, 80 FPS sounds better than 70 FPS, but it doesn't mean the game plays better.

    It's possible that the uninstall isn't removing everything. Folders and settings routinely get left behind after uninstalls are run. Programs like CCCleaner can help rid your system of settings that are no longer required by the apps you have installed.


    Hi, thanks for your answer.

    Well in my case fps its a big thing beacuse theres a really big diference between 18 and 26. Like you say i just want it to play it as smooth as possible. For me the target would be 25 fps. The ideal would be over 30.

    I used YourUninstaller pro, to uninstall FSX, but im getting some problems reinstalling it. But i'll figure it out.
  5. Guys according to your answers the bottleneck its in the gpu right???

    What should i do about it?, besides buying another gpu :(

    Cya.
  6. ricparis said:
    Ok, firstof all Thank you very much for your answer, i really appreciatte it.

    Could you explain me what does it mean when you say "set some feature in CCC", i dont know what ccc is.

    And, about the video card, i know its not the best GPU, but it was as far as i could get at the time. Im thinking about overclocking it too, but i dont know how to do it yet. Could you recommed any guide for me.

    Once again Thanks.....

    CCC = Catalyst Control Center.
  7. ^ Yeah that. It comes with the Radeon drivers. You might have selected to force higher AA or something.

    And yeah the 5770 is the bottleneck for sure. You could buy a second one for crossfire which is pretty decent. Or else just save a bit more and buy something beefier, maybe sell your current card.

    For overclocking there's plenty of info on it. Use MSI Afterburner IMO.
  8. There's only one thing you can do besides buying another GPU -- overclock. I second wolfram's suggestion to use MSI's Afterburner utility. It's branded by MSI but works with most (if not all) video cards.

    Overclocking the GPU core gives the most benefit, but upping the graphics memory speed will help as well.
  9. Ok, then i think im gonna try to buy a new gpu NVIDIA, but in the meantime im gonna overclock and see what happens, at least now i know what the problem is, thank you very much to all of you :D .

    PD: I'll use msi imo, till now i overclocked my cpu with MSI control center, and i think its a really good program to those of us who at the beginning didnt know too much about overclocking, its simple, and it works awesome.
  10. There is nothing wrong with your 5770, leave it alone.
    Now, open FSX, go into settings, select customize (towards the bottom of the window), set target frame rate to desired setting. While you're there, double check the screen resolution. Click OK.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking