How far can i go with the i7 ?

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So very easy question to all of you out there! I would just really like to know what people think would be the limite of my Core i7 920 if it starts at 2.66 and i cant get it a cooler so im running it on the cooler it comes with. so how far can i go with it

Note: I want it to last like 5 years so ill looking for a speed that wount burn it in a year or so

Each sample is different so it's up to the luck of the draw as it were. I suppose you would be fine running along at 3.5GHz or so as long as you had a good cooler on it to keep the temps rather low. Pushing it to 4GHz is more likely to shorten its life especially if you air cool it rather than going liquid cooling.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Thanks for you reply but what i wated to know is how far i can go with it on the intel air cooler you get with the CPU, i have it at 3.0 right nowand its at 67c on load is that cool enough ?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
As long as you don't go to far in voltage your CPU is very unlikely to burn out anytime soon. As long as you do a responsible overclock with proper cooling your CPU should last you.

I'm not sure how far your stock cooler will get you but I would assume you could get a higher OC than 3 ghz . Also I would recommend that you play with the voltage see how low you can go and remain stable. Your temps will also decrease if you do this and never ever rely on your mobo auto voltage they tend to go higher than whats needed.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Well here is the thing I am running it on the stock Fan and when i play Cod4 i get around the 73c is that too high ?

Note: this is with the CPU running at 2.78

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Well thats what i thought i just wanted to know if i was right about that in that case do you people believe this cooler to be enough for the CPU at least at stock speed and if thats enough i really want the i7 920 at 3 is that good ?

COOLER MASTER RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
URL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

How do i reset the heatsink ?
and i was told that is a good cooler but you say its not ?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

What is 24/7 overclock...?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

The overclocked frequency of the CPU used 24/7, meaning the speed your CPU is always running at. I can run my CPU higher than the current speed, but I keep it as it is for the 24/7 overclock speed.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

The new Coolermaster 212 is very good. It actually beats out my Xigmatek 1283 in a few tests I've seen. If that is the new 212, and I think it is, it is a great cooler. Anyone who tells you different hasn't done their research.

The i7-920 is the same chip as the i7-975. The intrinsic capabilities are the same. Some samples are easier to overclock than others. I consider a safe overclock to be 3.33 or so, the same as the base speed of the 975. As to the cooler, if your temps are in the 70c range, chances are that the cooler was not mounted well.
Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.

Still, I would suggest you invest in an oem cooler with a 120mm fan. Your cpu will run cooler, quieter, and overclock easier.

jdelsignore911

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Oh thanks I'm obviously new at all of this stuff. What are some other good programs for your pc just for random things like 3dmark and cpu_z. The question is what are some other programs like those that are popular and what do they do???

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Thanks again for the reply! but i wated to know id this CPU Heatsink would be enough for me to get the CPU to 3.0GHz or even stock speed ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Please reply soon all of you i need to know if need to return this as soon as it comes in or will this do for the next few months i only have a week in the stats before i leave!

Thanks again!!!!!!

I think it will be good.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Idid I did ! but in your post you were unsure of the heatsink so i wanted to know for sure because i dont have time to make a mistake im sorry i didnt mean to offend you but if you believe this would help i will stay with it!

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So i got the new Cooler Master 212 and im running the Core i7 920 at 3.34 and its at 40 idl and 45 on load so im guessing this Heatsink is working or should I have got more out of this heatsink ?