Sign in with
Your question

Second HDD shows RAW file system after Windows format/reinstall

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2010 5:26:45 PM

Hi,

I have two hard disks in my computer. One with 120 GB and one with 320 GB, so yesterday I have formatted the 120 GB HDD and installed a fresh Win Xp copy. I didn't know how to merge two partitions from this 120 GB drive into one, so I removed the 320 GB disc from the computer in order to be able to make a single partition on the system 120 GB HDD, using the windows partition manager (it seemed a good idea at the time). When the Win Xp installation finished, I plugged in the larger HDD in order to use it as storage/data drive (non system) and saw that the storage drive shows a RAW file system (with 0 bytes free 0 bytes used space)

I have managed to recover all of the data using recovery software, because all of it was still there, but was not recognized by the OS. Both drives (discs) were NTFS with the default cluster size and still are.

Could someone please explain why this happened, I guess that it had something to do with installing the OS without the storage (320 GB) drive connected.
January 10, 2011 6:34:02 AM

HI,

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I apologize that I can not help determine the cause but maybe you can help me. I have a LACIE external hard drive that has become RAW while moving a large number of files over to it. It froze and now it is RAW. I have tried several recovery apps. but none work. Can you tell me what software you used to help you?

I would really appreciate it.
January 11, 2011 9:18:24 AM

oya_oya said:
HI,

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I apologize that I can not help determine the cause but maybe you can help me. I have a LACIE external hard drive that has become RAW while moving a large number of files over to it. It froze and now it is RAW. I have tried several recovery apps. but none work. Can you tell me what software you used to help you?

I would really appreciate it.

I have used DiskInternals Partition Recovery v2.9. Your situation might be different than mine, but still I think it's worth a shot.
Hope that your recovery will succeed.

Related resources
a c 375 G Storage
January 11, 2011 11:12:06 AM

Did you format the 120g drive before or after removing the 320g drive? It sounds like you accidently formatted the wrong drive, then removed it from the system.

If you removed the storage drive before formatting the 120g, there should be no reason for it to show up as raw. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
January 11, 2011 4:39:58 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you format the 120g drive before or after removing the 320g drive? It sounds like you accidently formatted the wrong drive, then removed it from the system.

If you removed the storage drive before formatting the 120g, there should be no reason for it to show up as raw. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Hi Hawkeye22,

I have:
1. removed the 320 GB drive
2. formatted and installed Windows Xp the 120 GB drive
3. connected 320 GB (that was supposed to be unchanged)
4. I found out that the file system on the 320 GB drive was RAW :) 

P.S. Everyone, thank you for your replies.
!