Problem with Windows Media Player 10

June 3, 2005 8:08:01 PM

I am using a Dell Axim X30 Whenever I try to play anything (video or audio),
I receive an error dialog box with the following message:

"The system cannot find the path specified."

Obviously some setting is incorrectly configured. Can anyone help? I tried
to see if I could remove and reinstall the Mediaplayer application from the
Axim, but this does not appear to be possible without doing a hard reset (not
anxious to go down this path).
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:37:04 PM

My reply is not a solution but repeat that I have exactly the same problem
with a Dell Axim 30 and Media player 10, installed May 29, 2005

"im4nits" wrote:

> I am using a Dell Axim X30 Whenever I try to play anything (video or audio),
> I receive an error dialog box with the following message:
>
> "The system cannot find the path specified."
>
> Obviously some setting is incorrectly configured. Can anyone help? I tried
> to see if I could remove and reinstall the Mediaplayer application from the
> Axim, but this does not appear to be possible without doing a hard reset (not
> anxious to go down this path).
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:45:05 PM

After much Googling and picking around to try to find an answer--and coming
up empty--I backed up all files on my Axim, sighed deeply, and performed a
hard reset. I am pleased to report that this cured the problem with Media
Player 10; it is now working fine. It's unfortunate that there isn't some
published remedy that falls short of the pain and aggravation of a hard
reset, but if you want to have functional applications, I guess that's the
price to be paid. As a postscript, I should note that this resolution caused
me severe heartburn when I went to reinstall Microsoft Reader on the Axim
after resetting it. I have numerous digital rights-secured eBooks, requiring
that MS Reader be "activated." All the normal steps to complete activation
were followed, but the Microsoft activation web site was totally
uncooperative. I finally had to manually delete files from various
subdirectories to get the activation to take. Took a couple hours longer
than it should have. Again, a hard reset is an ugly solution. Microsoft
should position alternatives that make reinstalling corrupted applets like
Media Player easier.

"easthill" wrote:

> My reply is not a solution but repeat that I have exactly the same problem
> with a Dell Axim 30 and Media player 10, installed May 29, 2005
>
> "im4nits" wrote:
>
> > I am using a Dell Axim X30 Whenever I try to play anything (video or audio),
> > I receive an error dialog box with the following message:
> >
> > "The system cannot find the path specified."
> >
> > Obviously some setting is incorrectly configured. Can anyone help? I tried
> > to see if I could remove and reinstall the Mediaplayer application from the
> > Axim, but this does not appear to be possible without doing a hard reset (not
> > anxious to go down this path).
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:25:02 AM

After looking without success for an alternative, I also did a hard reset.
Media Player 10 works fine now.

Thanks for the tip.

!