Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Acer Aspire 4520 wierless not working

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 21, 2009 5:58:15 PM

Hi all,

I have an Aspire 4520 Vista with Home premium and AMD Athlon 64x2 cpu.

A few months back one day I just lost my wifi capabilities. Recently I reinstalled windows and wireless worked just fine. Yesterday my wifi stopped working again. When I push the wifi button on the keyboard it says "no device"
I looked in device manager the wifi card does not show up
I reinstalled the drivers. No success.

Can anybody help me? I don't want to reinstall vista again and after 2 weeks I loose my wifi again.

Thanks

More about : acer aspire 4520 wierless working

Anonymous
December 21, 2009 6:12:18 PM

You might try a different driver -- this may be the generic one for the Atheros wireless chipset which is used in the Acer:

www.laptops-drivers.com/acer.../free-download-driver-ac... -

Frankly if none of the suggestions you get here work, it's probably simplest to buy a USB of PC Card (PCMCIA) wireless adapter as they're probably cheaper than a repair.
Score
December 21, 2009 11:40:41 PM

this laptop is just problems
now I have new issues. Before vista starts there are some errors saying that pci bus errors

when vista starts new hardware window comes up asking for the driver. Device manager shows the following error:

thanks fihart for your suggestions. I tried to install but says there is no hardware.
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
December 22, 2009 9:36:54 AM

Possibly the PCI bus error message is telling you that the wireless adapter has failed -- but worth checking that it hasn't just slipped out in the mini-PCI connector.

Look for a removable panel on the laptop underside -- be careful because mini-pci adapters resembles memory module. Try not to touch either without first momentarily earthing yourself on a radiator or tap.

Score
December 23, 2009 11:08:43 PM

I took out the mini pci and restarted the laptop. Got the same conflict errors.
Put the pci back but no change.

Reinstalled vista. I got rid of the conflict errors (for now) but still no wifi

I replaced the pci with the original card ( I had 2) now the red wifi light stays on but wifi doesn't work. Same "no device" when I push the wifi button.

thanks
Score
Anonymous
December 24, 2009 12:40:12 AM

Unless you can source an identical wireless adapter I think this calls for Plan B: a USB or PCMCIA adapter -- which are also probably cheaper.
Score
Anonymous
December 27, 2009 2:10:19 PM

Before you scrap the Acer, see if it boots up and works normally if you remove the mini PCI device.

If success, buy a USB or PC Card (was called PCMCIA) wireless adapter.

Acer seem to be shooting themselves in the foot at the moment -- lots of people are buying their laptops and lots of them are complaining.

Score
December 27, 2009 9:57:46 PM

thanks fihart,

tried and did not work. Now I am writing from a new dell laptop. I will never buy Acer again.
That Acer if I will be able to make it stand on will become my Ubuntu project

thanks
Score
January 26, 2010 2:10:09 AM

Just ran the latest chipset update off the Acer website and the wireless amber light came back! Didn't even get around to updating the WIFI drivers yet and its working fine.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:33:27 PM

if you want to red your self of it let me know i can use the parts for the one i have dwashby@msn.com

thanks doug
Score
February 20, 2010 6:40:04 PM

pddoty said:
Just ran the latest chipset update off the Acer website and the wireless amber light came back! Didn't even get around to updating the WIFI drivers yet and its working fine.

Can you tell me very specifically step by step how to do this? - I am having the same problem - I cannot get the wireless amber light to come on so that I can use my WIFI. I emailed Acer and they responded back to me they would charge me $199 to schedule a repair! outrageous!
Score
April 4, 2010 6:00:21 PM

pddoty said:

dear can you please tell the steps to update the chipset update
Score
April 17, 2012 7:11:48 PM

ashishagni said:
dear can you please tell the steps to update the chipset update

Hi
Am sure you would have gotten rid of your wireless lan problem on aspire 4520, still let me post something that may be useful for others if not for you.
I have the same problem of wireless just gone off and not enabling. Installed drivers n no. of times.
So as was suggested above: I updated drivers from acer website manually:
http://www.acer.co.in/ac/en/IN/content/drivers
On this page, i selected Notebook > aspire > 4520 and then under my selection there is a dropdown asking for which version of windows I am looking the drivers for. Select Windows XP so it will just show you a complete list of drivers which can be downloaded and installed.
I have just downloaded Wireless LAN_Broadcom_4.100.15.5_XPx86.zip file from there, installed it and now its asking me to restart so after restart I will check and post another comment here to inform you guys if this driver in above zip file works or not.
Score
April 17, 2012 7:24:15 PM

nope. no luck. nothing working on to enable this wireless lan. Guess I will need to buy a usb wireless adapter to be able to continue using this aspire 4520 notebook from acer.
Next laptop needs to be bought but I dont yet have money for it. will need to wait :( 
Score
April 18, 2012 1:02:49 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!