What is the stock voltage on the E8400?

Raider00657

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hey guys, I hope i have put this in the right place.

I've been having alot of trouble with Windows 7 getting two or three BSOD every day. I think it could be an unstable overclock which was fine in xp but maybe its different in windows 7. I have had them whilst playing games and when closing games and after a long idle. I have also had them whilst listening to music.

I have overclocked to 4.0ghz at 1.24... volts but i may be undervolting as no one seems to know what the stock voltage is i have seen different answers everywhere and i can't find it on the intel website.

The memory is running at 1066 at 2.1v

any help would be apprecicated

Cheers Alex

The problem is probably with windows 7; you can bump up the voltage a little more to about 1.3-1.35 and still be safe with a stock heatsink. Monitor your temps; they shouldn't go above 65c under load. The cpu voltage listed in the bios will vary a little with each motherboard. Also be sure eist (speedstep) is disabled in the bios when overclocking.

Raider00657

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I have set the vcore to 1.3v. Also i don't have a stock heatsink so its running at 40 degrees idle 56 degrees under load. I have the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Are you running Win7 x64? Sometimes, a CPU that is just slightly unstable will be fine in a 32 bit OS, but run into trouble on a 64 bit. I don't think it is Windows though - I've been running the beta and RC on a wide variety of systems for quite a while now, and haven't had any trouble. Is it better with the higher voltage now?

Raider00657

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009

no still blue screening