Solved

Compatable with samsung sp1604n

Hello,
I have to stay with an IDE hard drive with 2mb buffer or what other types of hard drive can I substitute
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatable samsung sp1604n
  1. it depends on the computer's BIOS what the max size can be; however, you can use a 8MB buffer drive.

what kind of computer or motherboard do you have?
  2. Compaq presarioSR1230NX Desktop PC with AMD Base processor and speed

AMD Athlon (B) XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz

o

400 MHz front side bus
    o

Socket A

Chipset

Via KM400A

Motherboard

o

ASUS name: A7V8Z-LA
    o

HP/Compaq name: Kelut-GL6E
    o

Motherboard specifications
  3. Best answer
    The A7V8X-LA motherboard is compatible with SATA I hard drives ONLY.

If you purchase a SATA II drive make sure to check the manufacture website / manual and set the jumper speed so the drive is able to operate at 1.5Gb/s.

Also make sure you are running the 3.15 version of the bios.

The bios is restricted as to what SATA options you can set.
  4. So I could install a 160GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive? I thought Eide was thr route I had to take.
  5. What is the most important factor here? 7200RPM;ATA-133;What is the difference between SATA and IDE?
    I understand that SATA II is newer and I would have issues using this type of drive.
  6. Yes you could and probably up to 500GB.

SATA I has a little faster transfer rate
  7. After doing somemore research it seems that an IDE is older.That is what I had correct? With a SATA hd will the cables still mount up? I see talk about SATA using less power and cables are smaller. Do they still have 4 pins? Thanks for all your help!!! I find computers to be so intriguing and easy to work on when you know what you are doing!!!
  8. You might need some of these if you do not have the connectors for the SATA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812339017&cm_re=sata_cable-_-12-339-017-_-Product
  9. Best answer selected by fletch_69.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Samsung Storage Product