Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How's this for an I7 build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 28, 2009 8:23:38 PM

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$79.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
$89.99

XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB
$334.99

XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC651 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V Ver. 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$109.99

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Retail
$124.99

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$362.49

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
$359.99

COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan - Retail 4pack
$15.99

Total of this after taxes is $1,744.35 (Canadian funds) + cost for CPU cooler

I'm thinking of going with the Cooler Master Scout as an option from NCIX for $132.25 as it has a handle for transporting to LAN parties.

And for a cooler what would you recommend to fit inside the CM690 or the Scout?

These are available from NCIX:
True 120 and Noctua NH-U12P for $79.99
Scythe Mugen II for $45.81
Zalman CNPS9900 for $105.99
I was also considering the Coolermaster V8 with LGA1336 Bracket for $79.99

So, any issues with this build and what cooler would be a good choice?

More about : build

April 28, 2009 8:37:45 PM

X-Nemesis said:
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$79.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
$89.99

XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB
$334.99

XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC651 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V Ver. 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$109.99

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Retail
$124.99

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$362.49

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
$359.99

COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan - Retail 4pack
$15.99

Total of this after taxes is $1,744.35 (Canadian funds) + cost for CPU cooler

I'm thinking of going with the Cooler Master Scout as an option from NCIX for $132.25 as it has a handle for transporting to LAN parties.

And for a cooler what would you recommend to fit inside the CM690 or the Scout?

These are available from NCIX:
True 120 and Noctua NH-U12P for $79.99
Scythe Mugen II for $45.81
Zalman CNPS9900 for $105.99
I was also considering the Coolermaster V8 with LGA1336 Bracket for $79.99

So, any issues with this build and what cooler would be a good choice?



dude . where are you buying parts from. they are expensive.
April 28, 2009 8:41:03 PM

Newegg.ca

Things are expensive for us Canadians : (
Related resources
April 28, 2009 8:59:00 PM

Get a cheaper Gigabyte X58 board, and put that money to a better PSU(PC Power & Cooling 750w or Corsair 750TX). If you decide to CF your 4890, those PSU will have the power to support.

add another same hdd and put em in raid 0. no point of having a monster of a processor and have slow hdd. or put 2 ssd in raid 0, it will blow your socks away.

check this out...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264632-31-1650-home-o...
May 8, 2009 4:48:36 AM

get OCZ Platinum, they are cheaper and reliable too..
May 8, 2009 2:48:58 PM

+1 for the PC Power & Cooling 750 or Corsair 750TX ( I have the PCP&C and it is a GREAT value and really quiet. It leaves you room to add another card)

-1 for RAID 0 on a desktop PC. I have seen several reviews that show limited benefits to raid 0 on a desktop. It's great for multiple users, ie shared storage, but just a single fast HD will be fine. Besides you 2 points of failure in a raid0.

-1 for switching RAM, the RAM you chose is perfectly fine and looks like it has nothing but positive reviews.

+1 for the CoolerMaster V8 cooler. These things are bad @ss. Plus with your coolermaster case it will look nice to. (Not that it might matter to you)

May 8, 2009 4:10:57 PM

NCIX has an EVGA GTX275 for $280 or a Powercolor HD4890 for $260.

The OCZ Platinum is $95.

I would go with the TRUE (best cooler) or Mugen (best value), and the Storm Scout case.

Buy from NCIX and price match, plus you will save the PST outside BC.
May 8, 2009 4:13:45 PM

^the TRUE isn't the best cooler anymore, the Meganehalem is if you add a nice fan too it and the Titan Fenrir is as stock, the titan's also extremely cheap too.
May 8, 2009 4:22:56 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^the TRUE isn't the best cooler anymore, the Meganehalem is if you add a nice fan too it and the Titan Fenrir is as stock, the titan's also extremely cheap too.


Neither of those are available in Canada AFAIK. The TRUE is best of the available HSF.
May 8, 2009 4:25:02 PM

That's pooo!! Canadian newegg is poooo.

+1 Rowezey!! LOL
May 8, 2009 4:56:10 PM

theAnimal said:
Neither of those are available in Canada AFAIK. The TRUE is best of the available HSF.


Fair enough.
May 8, 2009 5:37:34 PM

^
Mike Rowe Fanboy!
May 8, 2009 5:40:44 PM

You too! Don't be shy...

I think he's a cool dude...great show.

+1 jay posts good points on advice...
May 8, 2009 6:21:39 PM

^
Mike Rowe is my hero. It is my game handle. And my gamer dude call me Mike Rowe because apparently at one LAN i looked like him, and it stuck for the past 3 years. That and Amish_Fury is another handle, at least in FC2 because Ubi only lets you register 1 name per email and that is what it was for the original FarCry.

+0 I see everyone buying the P6T Deluxe V2 boards... I was looking at these but saw no compelling reason to get it over the non-deluxe. Actually the non-deluxe has a better PCI-E setup. It is physically laid out better and will accept 3x dual slot video cards for tri-sli or crossfire. The V2 has 3x PCI-E slots, but the bottom two are too close together and would only accommodate single slots. It's a weird design. And other than the 16 phase power over the non-deluxe 8, i dont see that much difference.
May 8, 2009 6:38:38 PM

True...but i do think the V2 was mainly designed like that for Dual Cards as opposed to x3 SLI/Cross even though they do support them. Slim cards with that too...

At least that was my understanding of the 16 power phase is that it filters the power goes through to provide better power to the CPU/mobo helps in OC's and from what i read that the Asus V2 is actually 8x2 = 16.

May 8, 2009 7:14:05 PM

I think the 16 phase over the 8 phase just delivers "cleaner" power to the CPU. That is all. You know like replacing your OEM car battery with an Optima Redtop.... Same deal, is it REALLY worth is???? Hey i'm at 4GHz and heat is my limiting factor, it's been at 4.2. The V2 does have a better chipset cooler. But hey my mobo has a warranty, doesn't it? haha.

I'm so cheap when it comes to my own PC....
May 8, 2009 7:29:45 PM

What are your temps?
May 8, 2009 7:40:18 PM

I stress with OCCT 3.0.1 with a Large Dataset, High priority, and Hyperthreading checked. The OCCT temps tend to be like 3C higher than realtemp or coretemp. But in OCCT it tops out around 85C during an hour run. It idles around 53-55C. If I turn on turbo to get the 4.2 I get 95C temps. I'm also not stable with a BLK 210 at my 1.3v so i didn't press on. I'm happy at 4.0 which lets my memory run at 1600. I might try cranking down my vDram to 1.5 instead of 1.6, but it was loaded with the XMP profile.
May 8, 2009 7:48:14 PM

You can't lower CPU temps to 1.285v and the ram higher to 2.0?

What's your QPI voltage @?
May 8, 2009 7:56:26 PM

I know most people try to keep the QPI and DRAM voltages withn .4v of each other...but turning turbo off and decreasing your CPU multiplier...raising the BCLK seems to reduce voltage needs on the CPU. FSB voltages may need to go high up tho...
May 9, 2009 5:06:37 AM

Well...here's an updated version...does this look like it will all fit together in the sniper case?

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KKN1-GP Black ABS Bezel, SECC Body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$179.49

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
$99.99

HIS Hightech H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$281.99

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS ... - Retail
$139.99

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
$101.00

OCZ ATV 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBATV8G - Retail
$28.49

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$362.49

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
$359.99

COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan - Retail
$15.99

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
$49.99
OR

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT Heatpipe Cooler LGA1366 120MM Fan FDB 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM
$79.95

Grand Total Tax incl = $1,895.01
May 9, 2009 6:08:55 AM

If you are not going to Lap the Thermalight ultra get the Noctua Se1366.

Also PRICE MATCH ;) 

Use www.shopbot.ca or www.pricegrabber.ca

Also there is a $10 giftcard that will make your entire order free.
August 9, 2009 12:28:29 AM

Ooooo, no no no.
Newegg is *** for prices.
1) You can price match on NCIX. You can find the cheapest price and match it on NCIX.
2) DirectCanada has free shipping over $300. And your rig on DC is $1472.91 after free shipping + taxes (on both DC and NCIX, you only pay 5% GST, not 8% PST because they're in British Columbia).

(I know this thread is a couple months old but I was thinking about a similar rig and NCIX/DirectCanada have WAAAAY better prices than newegg.)
!