4 X Corsair F40 vs. 2 Crucial c300 64gb

intotehsurf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I am looking to raid several ssd's together. I've done some research, but I'm curious as to everyones opinion on this particular setup. Which would be the better setup? I'm shooting for anything above 120gb storage wise as I won't be putting much on the drives themselves except basic programs and my OS.

Any ideas?

"..as I won't be putting much on the drives themselves except basic programs and my OS." => In this case you don't have much of a need to do a RAID config unless you want to do a mirror for redundancy. Newegg has the Corsair F40 drives for $100 ($400 for 4). It has the SandForce controller which is good! The Crucial SSD has a Marvell controller (not as fast as the Sanforce) and is $135 (yikes!) . For the money I would say go with a single 120GB SSD with a SandForce controller and call it good. OCZ Agility 2 series SSDs are good drives...

120 GB for $230 on Newegg => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227543&cm_re=agility_2-_-20-227-543-_-Product

The Crucial F60 has a SandForce controller (the F40 does not). Either that or the OCZ Agility 2 or OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs (again... just about anything with a SandForce controller).

Still stuck on not seeing the need for doing any type of RAID for the basic PC usage described...

intotehsurf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I guess I stated the "basic programs" part too bluntly. I need some room to work with would have been a better choice of words. I would like to put a few games on them as well. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't want all my storage on these things, but I do want plenty of "wiggle" room.