4870 can't play games

noobly

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I just got my HIS Raden HD 4870 today. I installed it with no problems, and installed Catalyst 9.5 from the AMD website. The problem is, none of my games work. I've tried 5 different games and they all crash when they're loading or never load.

Here are my specs:
HIS Hightek Raden HD 4870 512MB
Asus M3A78
AMD Athlon X2 5200+
OCZ StealthXStream 500W

Any help would be appreciated.

noobly

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Yes, I uninstalled then booted in safe mode and used DriveSweeper to remove everything else, then booted back into normal mode and installed Cat 9.5.

Go to the system32 folder and see if any files are left, they start at nvapi32(or 64).dll thru till nvwssr.dll and delete them manually, if they are still there then you know that driversweeper programs are rubbish.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Does anything run on the card? (Furmark or something) i.e. have you ruled out hardware faults yet?

Assuming the card works... it may be time to format the old OS.

If it were me I'd put down as a learning experience with a crap card and crappier drivers then I'd return it and get a nice GTX275 and download some lovely working drivers from the Nvidia site and get back to the gaming. [:mousemonkey]

noobly

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Furmark ran for 10 minutes without a problem. I guess I have to reformat now...

Haha mouse, I would, but a poor college student only has so much money.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Oh here we go... I'd point out that my system works fine but why...

Which is not going to help if it turns out the PSU is not up to task, have you checked that by the way?, the amperage on the 12v rail I mean.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Hmm, the StealthxStream has 4 rails and only 1 pcix connector... Be careful you are not stuffing everything on the same rail for the card.

OCZ PSU specs are so damn random...

It is certainly a cheep PSU, it 'should' work though.. but it may not in all cable configurations. Though if teh PSU was not givign enough power the card would usualyl just fail and give you a reboot/BSOD/TDR event. I can't see it causing an application tofail to load, that screams software problem to me.]

(PS. I'm not trading my system with anyone :p)

That's because it's drawing power from subspace :lol: , in the great and good world of Nvidia :whistle: it's possible for the card to work in 2D mode but crash when asked to go 3D or SLI if there is not enough power available.

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Noobly,

I had some issues with games (mainly fallout 3) crashing with the 9.5 drivers...went back to 9.4 and everything works fine. Sweep everything off you drive and install 9.3 or 9.4 drivers

Fallout 3 crashes randomly regardless :lol: , don't get me wrong I like the game (currently doing the BoS exp) but it's always crashing despite the various updates.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Ya, but if it works in 2d mode (it is the same for ATI) the card will usually fail (I.e. there will be a TDR event recorded in the event viewer) or the system will simply crash outright. I cant see a PSU causing an application to simply fail to load, even if the card wasnt gearing up to 3d properly.. but I've seen PSU's certainly cause stranger issues.