CAT 9.5 Officialy out

^ yes i know :sleep:
These are the first set of ATI drivers to seriously dissapoint me for a long long time, i was seriously expecting a decent improvement over the drivers that came with my 4770 but the performance is much the same. Dont know what they are playing at but the card certainly isnt performing as well as reviews said. I suspect the drivers given to the press were tweaked. Thats just my opinion though.

Mactronix

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Yes i agree. I downloaded and installed and i always get application installation out of disk space. I have 750 GB free space lol.
Went back to my original software right away with no problems. I upgraded to see if they found a fix for my Dual monitor problems. Second monitor goes no signal after boot.
Oh well maybe down the road it will just get fixed without me doing anything.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
It is user that's broken and not drivers.
It is very easy... If you broke your system dont install them, you will spare us all the scientific talk about how drivers destroyed your system...

I personally think they are great.

I think they are very stable and great set of drivers.
They resolve the HDMI no sound bug under FarCry 2 for me. When running FarCry 2 in Directx 10 I would not get sound over HDMI. This is working with Cat 9.5.

Cheers

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
From "Tweaktown.com" i've read, "For the most part we wouldn't recommend HD 4850 users upgrade to the latest set of drivers". Is that true? I have a HD4850 and after reading that review i'm bit confused. help..

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Well I installed them and was rewarded with BSOD 9 boots out 10, went back to drivers that came with cards. If I were you I wouldn't rush but then they may well work fine on your system, such are the subtleties of these things.

"It is user that's broken and not drivers."

I fail to see how I have contributed to the failure of the new drivers to work properly.

AC

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
They say that because they did not see any increase in performance, they actually saw a drop in performance 1 to 3 FPS.

Personally, I'll go for stability and since I have hd4870 in crossfire 1 to 3 FPS loss is not that much of a big deal for me.

If your current set of drivers are working fine, stick with them. Dont expect an increase in performance with Cat 9.5. I would wait for that for future drivers, maybe Cat 9.6

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I get you now Euphoria, I thought you meant that I had done something wrong, which I suppose is quite possible when you are imbued with the technical skills of a carrot.

AC

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I installed 9.5 and couldn't get past 30 seconds of Fallout 3 without getting the boot with the video driver failure error...went back to Cat9.4 and played for 4 hours straight...no issues. So I'll pass on 9.5.

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I installed 9.5 and couldn't get past 30 seconds of Fallout 3 without getting the boot with the video driver failure error...went back to Cat9.4 and played for 4 hours straight...no issues. So I'll pass on 9.5.

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

thats ati for you...

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Hmmm, I just tripped on my shoelaces and almsot fell over! That's shoes for you, good for nothing always getting in the way! Never use shoes as they only ever cause problems like the time I almost fell down!! In fact I got a sunburn the other day too! Blow up the sun, good for nothing always giving me a burn, that's the sun for you.

Ok, I'm done feeding our resident Troll.. don't want him to starve now.

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Haven't heard anything like that before... May be due improper installation..

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
nope...safemode...driver sweeper...fresh install. Had the same problem with another release...I think 8.11. originally I figured it was with the Powercolor 4870...it's factory overclock has been scaled back now after I bought mine...so I was thinking that the 800MHz was blowing it out, but then 9.1 thru 9.4 work just fine. I'm totally happy with the card and Cat 9.4...so I'll stick there until I read otherwise on a future Cat

DSweeper has been known to cause problems itself, removing things it shouldnt etc. Ever try just using the new ones over the old?
By that I mean, just uninstall the old ones, and then trying the new ones?

+1 ^
Thats all i ever do. There is a uninstall utility with the drivers. I then check in Add Remove programs incase anything else got left behind. Go to where the drivers install and delete the folders so no trace of ATI is left. Power down, restart, install new drivers. :)

Mactronix

But i use driver sweeper,i first go to add/remove programs and remove the ATI Catalyst driver from there,then i restart and go to safe mod and i use Driver sweeper to clean whats left and finally i boot normaly to windows and install new drivers.
I have seen some cases that a clean uninstall helps.

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

take a chill pill mate

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
For me, once the new drivers don't work, I simply go back to the older ones. I appreciate that ATi have them readily available.

What I don't get are people who expect every driver to raise the FPS of every game for every card. Once the drivers maintain a +- 5 FPS margin in the games played and fixes bugs in some games, then to me that is a plus.