Inserted wrong RAM burnt motherboard? Computer does not boot, no beeps, just led

etroublebuilder

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I tryed to put in a DDR2 and DDR Ram at the same time in the computer! Anyways, was a bad idea! After I put in 512mb of DDR and 512of DDR2 and tryed to turn on the computer! The computer started for about 5seconds and then blank, a little smell like from moboard. After I unplugged it and plugged it back in it came on, I mean just the leds on the tower came on, does not react to key pressings, screen does not come on?! Tryed taking out the ram and trying one at a time, doesn't help! The rams do not look damaged! Motherboard fried, no signs on the outside! What should I replace!

The motherboard probably failed, but your manual should clearly indicate that you can only use DDR or DDR2 memory, not both. A motherboard that supports DDR and DDR2 probably is several years old. A replacement should be inexpensive, particularly if it's a K7S5A.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Everbody knows computers run on smoke, once it leaks out well that's that.
Well I'm guessing you have one of those boards that allows either ddr or ddr2, 2 sockets each, think I've got one here somewhere. Probobly all you can try is removing system battery, clearing cmos and hope it was one of the memory modules. If you have a magnifying glass look over each memory module carefully for a crack in one or more of the chips. If that's the case, after replacing battery try the chip that still looks good.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
yes try to clear cmos,unplug the cord. take the battery off,then find the cmos jumper,move it to the other pin for 5 seconds,like, if the jumper is on pins 2-3,then move it to pins 1-2 and after 5 secs,put it back to its place,put the battery back on.plug the cable back on.

etroublebuilder

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
OK! After I cleared the CMOS! Here is how I did it! I unplugged the computer from the power! Took out the jumper and placed it on 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2! After I had it there for like 3 seconds I put the jumper back! Plugged in the PC and tried starting it! The problem would resist so I repeated the steps to clear CMOS! This time around after clearing the CMOS second time, the computer doesn't even have LED coming on as it has had before and not fan/cpu running, in other words no reaction of any kind after I press the power button! I am buying new Mother board and new Rams also, could I have over cleared it, the CMOS? Why wont's the fans run and not reaction to a power button press?

etroublebuilder

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I tryed to put in a DDR2 and DDR Ram at the same time in the computer! Anyways, was a bad idea! After I put in 512mb of DDR and 512of DDR2 and tryed to turn on the computer! The computer started for about 5seconds and then blank, a little smell like from moboard. After I unplugged it and plugged it back in it came on, I mean just the leds on the tower came on, does not react to key pressings, screen does not come on?! Tryed taking out the ram and trying one at a time, doesn't help! The rams do not look damaged! Motherboard fried, no signs on the outside! What should I replace!?

OK! After I cleared the CMOS! Here is how I did it! I unplugged the computer from the power! Took out the jumper and placed it on 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2! After I had it there for like 3 seconds I put the jumper back! Plugged in the PC and tried starting it! The problem would resist so I repeated the steps to clear CMOS! This time around after clearing the CMOS second time, the computer doesn't even have LED coming on as it has had before and not fan/cpu running, in other words no reaction of any kind after I press the power button! I am buying new Mother board and new Rams also, could I have over cleared it, the CMOS? Why wont's the fans run and not reaction to a power button press?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
WOW man!! normally there's not need to clear CMOS twice, just 1 is anough,it does the job.But here:
did you turn the pc off and take the power cord off like the first time you did it?
you cannot be changing jumpers if the system is ON! and if you did,did you make sure to turn the power back on,replaced the battery?
But anyway,did that mother support ddr and ddr2?something like this?http://2xod.com/articles/SDRAM%20vs%20DDR%20vs%20DDR2/SDRAM%20and%20DDR%20RAM%20Keying.jpg

yeah sounds like the mother died man :pfff: ...if you are really sure that it's dead it would be time to take all the components off the mobo...

etroublebuilder

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

Thank you, anyways for your response! Yes, I did unplug everything! I just bad an other mo/board! Thank you! I will let you know what is up! I believe the ram my be burn too so will buy an other mother board!

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Some motherboards have slots for ddr and ddr2,like now we have ddr2 and ddr3.there's a link on 1 of my comments showing the motherboard