Need a recommendation for the best air cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hey folks. Looking to get a moderately priced air cooler to do some serious OC'ing (of a Q6600).

Need recommendations. I decided on a Cooler Master V6GT but if there are better products available, I'd like to know them and (if they're more expensive) to know if they're worth the premium.

Solution
G
The megahelms is good although it's surprisingly small which is a good thing.

The Zalman shouldn't be on that list, how did it get there?, the NH-D14 beats it according to 5 sources. The Performa is a mid range $40 cooler.

You guys are only relying on a single source, I speak based on 3-6 reviews; not out of my ass.

The Scythe Mugen isn't even sold in the market anymore, it's soo old, though it's pretty good.

Reconsider the NH-D14, better according to 6 sources, if you want the links just ask, I'm too lazy to get them right now.

AND the v6gt shouldn't be anywhere in this discussion, it can't compete with the NH-D14/

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

It should fit in a HAF922, right? I have a side fan (200mm) attached, I wonder if I'll have to remove it. I hope I don't. Can anyone shed light on this?

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Okay, one more question guys, somewhat relevant to the thread topic.

Will a Scythe Mugen 2 fit inside my HAF 922 (which has a 200mm fan attached to the side) and also not block the Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 XMS2 that I plan to get?

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
^Kind of you to do that, saint19.

Anyway, I'm just confused about what cooler to get. Each review says something different about each product and it's impossible to figure out who is the most correct.

I'm considering the following coolers:
- Titan Fenrir Evo
- Scythe Mugen 2
- Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

I won't be getting any new fans as I want to use them at stock.

Just about ANY advice will be appreciated.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@OP-

Also consider your case airflow. Even the best cooler will fail to keep your CPU cool without adequate airflow. If you get the cooler installed, and don't see better temps at the same CPU speed, you need to address case airflow.

Test temps as usual with benchmarks.

Pull side of case, blow a house fan on high into your case.

Rerun benchmarks, note temps.

If your temps go down, you need better airflow. If they stay the same, a better cooler might be in order.

The cooler depends of your preference and budget, the reviews are do it under controlled ambient with different component and not inside of a case, that makes a difference.

From those that you list, the Titan Fenrir is a very solid cooler but if you have the budget for the Zalman, is a better option.

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
But according to this review (for example), Fenrir has better temperatures than the Zalman.

What do you think about Corsair A50 and A70?

My budget is somewhat flexible (not enough to get me a Noctua, though). My preference is to get something that'll last me until I get a core i7.

Here's a list of the "best of the best" as of 3rd quarter 2010.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62

The V6GT is in the 2nd tier along with the Noctua NH-D14, Zalman CNPS10X-Performa, Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme ..... but the 212 didn't make the cut this time around. The big 3 in the 1st tier are the Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright Venomous-X RT and the Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2100, with the Scythe taking the best budget cooler title.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=15

However, tho I have long been a critic of the "faux water coolers" (i.e. the H50 and H70 made by Asetek), it would appear that Asetek's latest collaboration product (sold only thru Antec ..... Asetek has no equivalent model) is a winner.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62

I have stopped looking at frostytech as they appear to still be testing their coolers on an ancient LGA 775 test platform. Since the heat signatures of CPU's used in today's builds are wholly different from the old 775, I find their testing irrelevant. My last 775 build I think was in 2005.

http://www.frostytech.com/testmethod_mk2.cfm

In its other configuration, FrostyTech's Mk.II Platform delivers a 150W and 85W heat load to socket 775 compatible Intel Pentium 4/D/Extreme Edition, Celeron, Core 2 Duo & Core 2 Quad class heatsinks by way of a 30mm x 30mm copper interface die.

In its AMD K8 configuration, FrostyTech's Mk.II Platform delivers a 125W heat load to socket 754, socket 939, socket 940 and socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 compatible AMD Athlon64/FX/X2, Sempron & Opteron class heatsinks by way of a 38mm x 38mm copper interface die.

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
The NH-D14 costs a good 20 pounds more than the A70. That's hardly the same price!

In the Top Performers, we also have the Titan Fenrir. So now it *is* a great choice? And preferable over the Zalman?

1- Sorry, I'm referring to H50 and H70 made by Asetek, the A70 looks good but cost more that Hyper 212+.
2- The Zalman is better for price/performance/noise, that's why we prefer it.

You decide:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=432&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=20

Intel-LGA1366 CPU Cooler Thermal Difference

ProlimaTech Megahalems 24.29°C over ambient
Thermalright Venomous-X 24.47°C over ambient
Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000 26.03°C over ambient
Cogage Arrow 26.53°C over ambient
Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ 27.92°C over ambient
Zalman CNPS10X-Performa 28.08°C over ambient
Coolink Corator-DS 28.38°C over ambient
Cogage TRUE Spirit 28.39°C over ambient
Noctual NH-D14 (2x 140) 29.10°C over ambient
ProlimaTech Armageddon 29.26°C over ambient
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 29.40°C over ambient
CyberPowerPC XtremeGear HP-1216B 29.42°C over ambient
3R-System IceAge Prima Boss-II IA-120B2 29.46°C over ambient
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme 29.52°C over ambient
Intel DBX-B ATS (Performance) 29.65°C over ambient
Xigmatek Balder SD1283 CAC-SXHH3-U06 30.00°C over ambient
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384 30.76°C over ambient
Noctua NH-U12P 31.68°C over ambient
Thermaltake Contac-29 CLP0568 32.60°C over ambient

The Scythe Mugen 2 at $40 is a sure winner if budget is a criteria.

Note however that these tests are subject to heat signature variations which differ by CPU. In the 950 test, the top 3 finishers were the same but in different order.That test went : http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13

1) Venemous X
2) Scythe Mugen 2 (+0.27C)
3) Prolmatech Megahalems (+0.89).

In the 920 test, the Mega was on top again..... http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=11

1) Prolimatech Megahalems
2) Prolimatech SuperMega (+0.2)
3) VenemousX (+0.5)
4) Scythe Mugen 2 (+2.50C)

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
1- But it also performs much better. It's too bad it wasn't a part of the mega-review carried out by benchmarkreviews; would have been great to know where it stood with the big names.
2- According to this review of Titan Fenrir EVO, it is much quieter than the Zalman, even though it doesn't perform quite as well (it does come pretty damn close). It's definitely not a bad buy, and you said as much.

Ha, why all the fuss over a mere 0.16C?

I notice you're using the results of the high output fan to compare the coolers, which makes sense, ofcourse - the best way to judge the cooling potential of the heatsinks is to test all of them under similar conditions, i.e. using the same, high output fan.

However, I think I'm more interested in determining what kind of performance I'll get at stock since I don't intend on getting a high output fan anytime soon. According to the 920 test (Q2), the rankings are like:
1. CM V6GT
2. Prolimatech Megahalems (+0.9)
3. Prolimatech Super Mega (+1.1)
4. Scythe Mugen 2 (+3.0)
|
7. Zalman CNPS 10X Performa (+3.2)
|
11. Titan Fenrir (+6.3)

I guess the Prolimatechs shouldn't count so much since a fan isn't even provided with these and a separate fan would need to be purchased and therefore factored into the total cost.

With the 930 test, it goes something like:
1. Venomous X
2. Zalman CNPS 10X Performa (+0.34)
3. Xigmatek Aegir (+0.8)
4. Scythe Mugen 2 (+2.41)
5. Titan Evo (+2.85)

Now that's what you call conflicting results. I'd have loved to known where the V6GT would have ranked in the 930 test. It was my initial, initial choice (since it was the only thing available where I live, urgh) and the reviews were mostly positive.

The Zalman CNPS 10X Performa looks great, but I can't find it on overclockersuk. (As you might have guessed, I don't actually live in the UK and plan to get whatever component through a friend who does live there.) So any reliable websites you guys could recommend where I could look for the Performa?

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
^Thanks Davcon.

Okay, I know I shouldn't ask but why is the Performa selling for less than the Extreme when it is supposedly better? The difference is of about £17 and that's a lot! Excellent bang for the buck, is it not?

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Okay, so I've narrowed it down to three choices.

1. Prolimatech Megahalems
2. Zalman CNPS10X Performa
3. Scythe Mugen 2

And I plan to purchase at least 1 Yate Loon D12SH-12 fan (it'll be necessary for the Megahalems since none are provided).

Thanks a lot you guys. Appreciate it.

G

The Zalman shouldn't be on that list, how did it get there?, the NH-D14 beats it according to 5 sources. The Performa is a mid range $40 cooler.

You guys are only relying on a single source, I speak based on 3-6 reviews; not out of my ass.

The Scythe Mugen isn't even sold in the market anymore, it's soo old, though it's pretty good.

Reconsider the NH-D14, better according to 6 sources, if you want the links just ask, I'm too lazy to get them right now.

AND the v6gt shouldn't be anywhere in this discussion, it can't compete with the NH-D14/

Solution

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

The Zalman and Scythe I've included because they give excellent value for money, which is welcome for people on a budget. The Noctua I definitely admire but it's huge and also a bit on the expensive side. With high-output fans, the Zalman and Scythe can catch up to it in terms of performance.

Anything else you'd want to recommend besides the NH D14?

Also mn96, I'd be grateful if you could address some of my queries here.

Status
Not open for further replies.