I wanna overclock my saphire HD5670 512mb, new to ocing

devilite

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
ok so what would be the best way to overclock it?
through the bios, the the catalyst control center etc.
and how should i do it?
specs:
Core2Duo e7500 2.93Ghz
2g Ram 800Mhz
500w Psu (Not Real)
Win7 Ultimate
Asus P5G41C-M LX

thx

P.S. is it dangerous to overclock my cpu AND my gpu?

nighthawk4

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
read around :)

in general, a graphics card should not go above 85-90*C, to preserve the lifespan of your card. as for CPU's, you don't want your CPU to go over 80*C.

also, a nice program called "MSI Afterburner" can overclock your card. in that program, you can set voltages, core clocks and VRM (graphics memory) clocks.
for graphics card testing, i have always used Furmark. there are other programs, but i've also just started OC'ing, and i like Furmark :p.

as a last note, i've read that it's very hard to burn a graphics card. so if you want to learn how to overclock, try overclocking your GPU first, because CPU's will burn out much quicker than a graphics card.

oh, and CHECK YOUR PSU! this is very important. if you have a crappy no-name PSU you could blow your PSU while trying to overclock, and then break your entire system with it. make sure you have a PSU made by Corsair, OCZ, Antec, etc. find the make and model of your PSU and then google it. if it costs around 60$-80$ your are probably fine. but i'm not an expert either.

nighthawk4

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
i don't know. i have an ATI HD 5850, with a crappy powersupply, and i partly blew my PSU by just upping the memory clocks for a bit. and there's (supposedly, cheap PSU's often give out lower ratings than the ones on the tin) 18 Amps on the line of my graphics card.

so now i get random BSOD's and startup problems. better to be safe than sorry, so i suggest you get a better PSU first before you start overclocking :)

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

try that to see how much power you actually need. my bad PSU is rated at 650W, though im now getting an OCZ (ModXstream pro) 600W PSU.

devilite

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
what do u mean "18 amps on the line" how do i check how much amps i got?
btw should i use the cataclyst control center to overclock?

nighthawk4

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
if you open your case, there usually is a sticker on the side of your PSU, which tells you how many Amps can go through the +12, +5, +3.3 lines. at mine it says 18A.

and using Catalyst Control Center is an option. using one app or another doesn't change anything on how far you can go. it's just that most people prefer to use MSI Afterburner or the ATI GPU Clock tool because CCC (Catalyst Control Center) has limitations implemented. and with MSI Afterburner you can make your own personal fan-profile, which is very useful :)

nighthawk4

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
i don't really know how much amps you need... search around for it, that's what i'm doing too :p

and MSI afterburner is a generic program based on Rivatuner (also an overclocking tool), so it can be used with pretty much any graphics card :)

anyway, search around for how much amps you need. google knows everything :)