Sign in with
Your question
Solved

965 Temps too high?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 10, 2011 3:30:38 AM

Whenever my computer is in the BIOS screen it shows my cpu at ~45C, its not overclocked -yet- but i would like to do so soon. My problem is I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and for some reason i cant seem to get any of the sensors to work right.. Is there some idiot proof way to monitor temperatures? Because I am terrible with the console, and also with it running so hot in the bios im a bit paranoid about how hot it must get under loads...

More about : 965 temps high

a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
February 10, 2011 11:40:54 AM

Hi.

1- What are your components?
2- What are your ambient temp?
February 10, 2011 1:22:57 PM

Hobybobag said:
My problem is I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and for some reason i cant seem to get any of the sensors to work right..

Google K10temps. I had to build the module myself and it provides one temperature:
  1. hbarta@oak:~$ sensors
  2. k10temp-pci-00c3
  3. Adapter: PCI adapter
  4. temp1: +41.1°C
  6. hbarta@oak:~$

BTW, this is an 820 overclocked from 2.8GHz to 3.5GHz and running BOINC/Rosetta on all four cores. With Prime95 used to stress test the OC, it went as high as 45° C. I suggest you work on additional cooling before you consider overclocking.

edit: meant to say overclocked and not overcooked. ;) 
Related resources
February 10, 2011 6:39:29 PM

Case: Rosewill Destroyer (with 2 extra 120mm fans on top)
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU AMD Phenom II 965BE
I'm not sure about ambients, if i had to guess i'd say somewhere between 20-30, as my case seems to have pretty good airflow

So would i just put that into Gedit and make it executable?
(I am very new to linux)
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
February 10, 2011 6:44:56 PM

I know that all hates Windows (count me there) but overclocking is better do it using Windows OS.
February 10, 2011 6:51:43 PM

Hobybobag said:

So would i just put that into Gedit and make it executable?

No. I used the "code" block to show it differently from the text I type in for my reply. That's stuff I typed into a terminal and the results.

If I search for "k10temp ubuntu" the first hit is: http://blog.morrigan.ch/?p=9 Never mind... Try the second link. More detailed and relavent for Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287819

The command 'uname -r' will tell you what version kernel you are running and you will need to know that to install the kernel headers. If you run into problems trying to get that to work, post the command with error message here (or there.)

HTH
February 10, 2011 6:53:27 PM

I know windows is better.... sadly i am stuck with linux until I can pony up the 140$ for windows 7 =\

my problem in the meantime is, if my cpu is running in the mid 40s in BIOS which doesnt really strain my cpu at all, then it seems like my load temps would be outrageous... But I cant tell because i cant get any readings..
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
February 10, 2011 7:00:46 PM

Those temps says me that you are using the stock cooler, while you use that, overclock is something that you should not try.

With an air cooler like Hyper 212+ you will have better temps and the option to overclock.
February 10, 2011 7:09:21 PM

i followed everything exactly as written, but ended up getting this error

hobybobag@The-Uber-Rig:~/k10temp$ sudo insmod K10temp.ko
insmod: can't read 'K10temp.ko': No such file or directory
February 10, 2011 7:11:43 PM

sorry i should have mentioned that, I am using the stock cooler, but this is at stock speeds and slightly undervolted
February 10, 2011 7:25:43 PM

Hobybobag said:
i followed everything exactly as written, but ended up getting this error

hobybobag@The-Uber-Rig:~/k10temp$ sudo insmod K10temp.ko
insmod: can't read 'K10temp.ko': No such file or directory

The previous step did not complete successfully. Can you rerun that and post. (Step 5 should have produced that file.)
February 10, 2011 7:34:59 PM

edit: ignore all that

alright, I got that set up, but it says thats the PCI adapter, is that just a mislabel?

Best solution

February 10, 2011 9:04:37 PM

Hobybobag said:

alright, I got that set up, but it says thats the PCI adapter, is that just a mislabel?

I wish I knew for certain what temperature that is. There are many things on the PCI bus aside from what gets plugged into PCI slots and I suppose it is one of those. Perhaps:
  1. 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
  2. Flags: fast devsel
  3. Capabilities: [f0] Secure device <?>
  4. Kernel driver in use: k10temp
  5. Kernel modules: k10temp
(from 'sudo lspci -v')

I have a deeply held belief that it reflects the CPU temperature. The numbers I'm getting with my OC seem to be reasonable. And FWIW I am using a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ that another poster recommended.

Does it seem to be reading a reasonable temp?
February 10, 2011 10:15:23 PM

its showing a temperature for my video card at 38 (checked that one with nvidia x server) and the other temp is 27C, im guessing thats either my cpu or my motherboard... hopefully my cpu though
February 11, 2011 10:30:37 AM

27C sounds reasonable for an idling system. You can install the package 'cpuburn' from the repositories and run 'burnMMX' which should load a core and be reflected in the temperature. To load all four cores, you would need to run four instances. Or you could download the Linux version of Prime95 from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/. Run as 'mprime -m' to get the menu and then run the torture test to check out system stability. I used that to validate the stability of my OC. And it will stress your cooling which may not be sufficient with the stock cooler.
March 20, 2011 8:44:40 PM

Best answer selected by Hobybobag.
!