I need help with the basics on SSD's

Nighthawk007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I am having issues. I know a pretty good deal about computers, however in my latest build i have 2 mushkin castillo 120gB SSD's. I have the amd 6 core processor (1090T black edition) and the ASUS crosshair 4 formula motherboard. My freind and his dad came over the other day to help me build it, and he starts talking to me about the raid i was planning. so here are my questions:

1. Can I Raid 0 without interfering with TRIM?
2. From what i understand TRIM is the memory controller on the SSD. is this correct?
3. What would you guys reccommend for the best speed and lifespan for the three options? (listed below)

my motherboard tells me that i have three options to set my ports as:
1. IDE mode
2. RAID mode
3. AHCI mode

I know that these are probably really stupid questions and I'm sorry, but I just need some help.

Thanks! =)

oh and i could also use the basic dos and don'ts about ssd's. ex: my freind told me never defrag a ssd.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
TRIM is not supported for RAID configurations. If you must raid the best idea is to leave a certain percentage unpartitioned. (imho 20% is a good number). Then, of course, you need to set everything to RAID mode. There is, I hear, a way to set up trim on an ssd which is NOT part of your array but is still plugged in to a "RAID" port. However, if you are using win7 and set your mobo to AHCI mode in bios it will automatically run trim after loading windows. Defrag will also turn itself off. Do not defrag... ever.