Finalizing gaming rig

Mainly using for games / movies . Here is what i am thinking of so far:

note - i am not gonna go dual graphics card or do any OCing...

Case: antec 300 ~$60

cpu: amd phenom ii quad core 3 ghz ~$225

mobo: ASUS M4A78T-E ~$140

ram: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR ram ~$70

hdd: western digital caviar 500gb 32mb cach ~$70

psu: BFG Tech GS-550 550W ~$60

graphics card: i am still torn b/w the radeon 4890HD and the GeForce GTX 275 ~$250 (or should i spend the extra bill and go for toe gtx 285?). will ati or nvidia be better suited for my proposed rig?

so total price is arond $900...Is there anything that i can do to cut costs w/o losing too much performance, or gain more performance w/o spending too much? Is there anything i should swap out for something better?

I want to run all games on max resolutions / max graphics smoothly.
7 answers Last reply
More about finalizing gaming
  1. There is a problem with your build at the moment . The 3 GHz Phenom 940 is an AM2+ cpu and wont work in an AM3 mb with DDR3 . You need either the 955 or 720 for a gaming build . The 720 will be a little slower but much cheaper , the 955 a bit faster and a bit more expensive

Look for cpu/mb combos and case/psu combos on newegg

Id choose the 4890 , but there isnt a lot in it so I'd probably buy whatever was cheaper or had the best game bundle
  2. Speaking of max resolution, may we know what display you plan to use? Even the 4890 may be too much for what you need.

Case is a good choice. Corsair has better PSUs, IMO.
  3. Hmm since no extreme OCing and no multi GPU set up:

recommended resolution: 1650 x 1050 to 1920 x 1200 (depends on game)
  4. If you get a BFG PSU, then get the LS series, not the GS. I would also prefer a PSU from a different manufacturer like Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec or Seasonic.
  5. so the amd quad 4 mobo doenst use ddr3 ram? and the amd quad3 mobo uses ddr2 ram? isnt amd quad 4 better cpu than quad 3, and isnt ddr3 ram better than ddr2, but why doesnt an amd quad 4 mobo suport ddr3 ram? or am i missing something here
  6. I don't know what you're on about.

but, the 940 is an AM2+ cpu which means ddr2 only, the 955 and 720 are am3 which means ddr3 and ddr2 support.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product