Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
So I just got a bunch of stuff today and made a new system, I've never built one before and I eventually got it put together. Seems like everything is working except the fan of the 4890. It doesn't seem to be spinning at all (was when i first turned it on) or very slowly so it heats up enough to burn to the touch.

Before I noticed this my MK241H Asus kept losing connection and I realized it was probably from the overheating 4890, I think? There is also no oboard graphics. Is there any way I can check if the fan is broken or speed it up? The only problem is I can't install an os (windows 7) because no matter what monitor I use it doesn't detect it after a few minutes and goes black, then into power saving and I can't get it out unless I restart; by then the card is hella hot. Did the fan break already or did i do something stupid?

that's my stuff: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6935634

The fan should run at full speed for a few seconds on startup, then slow down.
If it does not run at full speed on startup I would say you have a faulty card, but check the connections and that it is fully seated before going for the RMA.

thegunners

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
yeah i think coozie is right, u may not have fitted the card correctly or it may your 6-pin power connector is not fitted properly, but if it still doesn't work then get a refund or exchange it

Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Ok, so the fan starts up when i turn the pc on but I'm not sure if it's on full or not. The fan is spinning and it makes it to the installation page for windows but by then the fan spins in one rotation, stops, one rotation, stops, etc. Eventually it'll get too hot and lose connection to the monitor.

At full speed it sounds like a hairdryer, trust me, you will know if it is running at full speed, but it sounds as if you have a faulty card, even without drivers or Windows installed the fan should keep the temperature low enough.
Sorry, time to call the Egg and RMA it:(

TRENDING THREADS