Power Loss ? [ i5 2500K + GA-P67-UD5 + HX650 ]

kadombing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hi all,

First time I turned it on, it failed to turn on but a couple of seconds after, it turned on and everything was fine.
OC to 4Ghz, and tightened RAM to 8-8-8-24 1600 (it's the RAM native specs, but needed to do it manually because intel reads up to 1333).
Did some stress with Prime 95 and Sandra, no errors whatsoever.

But while installing programs, I needed to reboot, and sometimes it fails to boot, like the first time. When it boots though, it runs fine.. Until recently while figuring this out, it turns off in the middle of stressing with Prime 95 a couple of time.
So I used BIOS factory setting, no OC, no RAM tweaks, but sometimes it still fails to boot the first time, sometimes even fails the second and third time, but then it turns on (PC doing it automatically without me pressing the power button)

I thought it could be my PSU not having enough power, so I disconnected both HDD fans, the WD Caviar HDD, and the USB PCI port. But it still do the fail boot thing.

Please help me!!!

My rig consists of:

Corsair HX 650
Gigabyte P67-UD5 (BIOS F6)

i5 2500K
1 x Scythe Slip 1200RPM Stream 14mm.
3 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM 120mm
1 x Case Fan 14cm

RipjawsX 8Gb(2x4) 1600 8-8-8-24

Gigabyte GTX 460 Super Overclock

Crucial C300 128GB
WD Caviar Green 1TB
Samsung 7200rpm 500Gb
2x Akasa HDD Cooler 2 fans @ 4500 RPM

Netgear RangeMax WPN311 Wireless PCI Adapter
Belkin USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 5-Port PCI Card

1 x Optical Drive

Thank you in advance people..

You seem to have two separate issues here.

The turning off and back on again on a cold boot is a known issue, though it usually only happens once -- you hit the power button, it turns on for a second or two, turns itself off, then turns back on again and boots normally. This is the first time I've heard of it happening multiple times in a row. This is also the first time I've heard of it happening when restarting.

They don't have a fix that works for everybody on the auto-reboot issue. You'll have to live with it.

Your second issue is the rebooting while stressing the CPU. That is likely due to bad UEFI settings and/or CPU overheating or instability due to the overclock. It's also possible that the RAM is the culprit.

Some boards need to have more voltage when using 4GB RAM sticks. Try increasing the DRAM voltage to 1.55v or 1.6V to see if that helps either of your issues.

You will be getting a new board within the next couple of months anyway due to the recall, so hopefully they will have fixed the auto-reboot by then.

kadombing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Thank you for clearing this up a little bit.. I wasn't even aware of the recall before you mention it.

Do you know a possible fix for this auto-reboot thing?

Because it is written that they can go 1600CL8 @ 1.5, I didn't set more, but will try your suggestion.

So you reckon is not my PSU then?

arc00ta

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Just curious as I have a very similar setup and the same issues, do you have any problem when going into the bios with it telling you the system has shut down due to overclocking and the settings were reset? Mine says this each time I enter bios and I have not even attempted to overclock yet, just using the stock settings.

EDIT: I did some digging and found out what fixed mine (my board is a P67-UD3 though), my RAM is set up in the M.I.T. to run at the required 9-9-9-24 1.65v for my modules, but I also had to adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.64v in the voltage settings. Before I did this it was failing to start 2 out of 3 times and I haven't had an issue so far since correcting that.

kadombing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
So.. The reboot while running Prime95 OCed might be caused by unstable CPU voltage setting.
But, for the cold boot thing, just discovered that several other users in other forums share our pain.
It could be caused by PCI or RAM incompatibilities.

Let's hope our motherboards will fit the requirements when Intel-Gigabyte gonna retake them in late April, and hope that with the new chips the problem is solved.

Meanwhile, planning to get a AX850 for OCing..

Oh, btw, I do get your same problem sometime when it fails to boot. BIOS version used to revert to factory setting, in my case F2, after I updated it with F6. But afterwards I updated the backup BIOS with F6 as well, so both my BIOS now have F6 version. But I did OCed the system. Strange that it happens to you.

Would you mind telling me your system's specs?

arc00ta

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I'm using the following:

GA-P67A-UD3
8Gb Corsair XMS3 4x2 1600 CL9 9-9-9-24
i5 2500K OC'd 4.5Ghz
Nvidia GTX570

Patriot Torx 64Gb
2x Seagate 1TB in RAID 0
1x Seagate 2TB storage
Asus Blu-ray combo drive

I have rebooted about 25 times today after fixing my DRAM voltage with no problems at all (trying to get the CPU stable in Prime95 at 4.5Ghz).

kadombing

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

Just saw your edited message :D Good for you!

I set mine to 1.56V as well, and didn't have problems. But there is a ACPI red led that turns on when the system is off (forgot about it but it's there since the very beginning) so i'll try to correct this thing :pfff: .