Sign in with
Your question

Memory Management Errors

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2009 3:36:15 PM

I have been trying to get this PC together for over a month now and all I been with is problems one after another.

When I first tried to install windows , I was coming up with "Pool Errors". I contacted the ram support (GSkill) and finally windows installed on slots 2 and 4 of the Mobo ,(vista would not install on in slots 1 and 3.
But when windows booted-up I was getting "Blue Screen Dump Errors". I ran memtest86 on the ram and came up with many errors. I configured the bios CPU Frequency to run at 3.20GHz, The Memory Frequency 1066- 800. (slightly underclocked). I ran the memtest 86 again and came up with no errors. When I try to change setting according to the GSkill support, I come up with ram errors..

Right now I am getting Blue Screen"Memory Management Errors" When I try to install some programs and update my drivers like:
1 As soon as I go into my system config to disable my start-up programs (Now, I can only do this in safe mode)

2 Try to update my audo drivers,( Real-Tech , which came on the MoBo),Adobe Flash , Scanner Software (in the windows mode)

Things I could Install:

Printer and drivers(which I now uninstalled the drivers and have disconnected)
Programs downloaded from the internet, and programs like word, quicken etc.

Can I please get some help on solving my problem..........

Computer specs.
Vista 64 bit Home edition service pack 1
Case: Antec Sonata 3
Power Supply: Corsair 650W
Intel Core2 Quad 9550 2.83GHs LGA 775 95W
Gigabite EP45-UD3P Motherboard
Model Brand G.SKILL Model F2-8500CL5D-4X2 GBPK (8GB) Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
WD 1TB HD
Zalman CNP 9500 Cooling Fan
GeForce GTX 260 Video Card ( overclocked)
Samsung 22X DVD+R
LG Network Blue-ray Player
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2009 3:46:51 PM

First suggestion is to UN-overclock all the hardware in your system before trying to solve the issues you mention. Why would any of these things be done on a system which isn't working?

Go into the BIOS and set to Optimal Defaults. If RAM shows at 800MHz upon boot, then all is well for now.

Allow Windows to load and test it. Install your programs or drivers.
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 17, 2009 4:30:21 PM

Quote:
Go into the BIOS and set to Optimal Defaults. If RAM shows at 800MHz upon boot, then all is well for now.

For the F2-8500CL5D, a "Load Optimized" should result in the memory being set to 1066 - but it will not work! It cannot 'auto-adjust' the MCH voltage, which will be needed to get four sticks working...You need to pull two sticks, leaving a pair in DDR2_1, and DDR2_3... Might just want to follow this

A lot of this is 'canned' - so if you've seen parts of it before, skip ahead!

GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Q9550 1333FSB x8.5mult 2.83GHz .85-1.3625V
G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v

If you haven't yet done it, pull out two sticks, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I always urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "8"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".5"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control

"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)" to "Disabled"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "333"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.20B"

"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" which we mostly refer to as a 'strap', is the reason we used a 334 clock instead of a nice even 333: the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB - Intel actually does make a 1600 FSB CPU - the QX9775 - but, I think, it's over $1500 a pop!); each strap has its own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). The 3.2 we used (which is actually an 8:5 bus to bus ratio) is available only on the 333 strap. Anyway, the strap latencies, for some northbridges, don't 'kick in' until one over the selected strap; so, in other words, setting the clock to 334 guarantees that we're getting the 333 latencies/timings...

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"MCH Core" to 1.200V"
& "DRAM Voltage" to "2.100V" (this should have been done by the earlier "Load Optimized", but needs to be checked...

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Once you have saved and exited, and rebooted once successfully, you can power down, and replace the other two sticks of RAM...

Good luck!

Bill
Related resources
October 17, 2009 4:58:15 PM

Hi
my 260 card came supperclocked. This was the way I bought it from Newegg.

GSkill tech.configured my MIT to slightly underclocked.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I tried to load with just the otimized defaults awhile back and could not get into windows. I contacted GSkill and they set the Voltage to 2.10 from auto.(that did not help much.

I have been going back and forth now with GSkill for the right bios settings for over a month with not much luck.

In their sticky notes on their website they have what the bios settings for my mobo and ram should be, but they don't work..

I finally got it to come up into windows with the bios setting I have now(with Memory Management Errors) as explained in my 1st post.

My mobo and ram have many problems as you can see in the GSkill forums.
The Gigabyte support is a BIG***0***.

I built this computer for my grandson and in turn he was building me a multimeader computer because I do alot of video editing. He gave up on that idea when he seen the problems I was having.

So now I am stuck with this

As for now, I keep runnning the memtest86 once in awhile and as long as i have these settings, the ram passes. Just because it passes, does it make the ram good???

My newegg return on 2 sticks of ram is running out next week and the other 2 expired to qualify for a return or exchange If it turns out to be the ram, I don't think GSkill will refund me $$$ on the other 2 sticks, but only an exchange because according to them the ram should work on my Mobo. If you have some more suggestions on how to solve this, It will be well appreciated

Thank You

October 17, 2009 5:05:24 PM

Boy, You sound like you know what you are doing, I will try to follow your instructions even though it seems alittle complacated
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2009 5:08:07 PM

geo, I post at the G.Skill site but haven't seen yours, sorry.

Follow the instructions above by bilbat exactly. He knows this subject very well. And good luck.
October 17, 2009 7:51:46 PM

bilbat said:
Quote:

For the F2-8500CL5D, a "Load Optimized" should result in the memory being set to 1066 - but it will not work! It cannot 'auto-adjust' the MCH voltage, which will be needed to get four sticks working...You need to pull two sticks, leaving a pair in DDR2_1, and DDR2_3... Might just want to follow this

A lot of this is 'canned' - so if you've seen parts of it before, skip ahead!

GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Q9550 1333FSB x8.5mult 2.83GHz .85-1.3625V
G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v

If you haven't yet done it, pull out two sticks, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I always urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "8"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".5"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control

"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)" to "Disabled"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "333"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.20B"

"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" which we mostly refer to as a 'strap', is the reason we used a 334 clock instead of a nice even 333: the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB - Intel actually does make a 1600 FSB CPU - the QX9775 - but, I think, it's over $1500 a pop!); each strap has its own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). The 3.2 we used (which is actually an 8:5 bus to bus ratio) is available only on the 333 strap. Anyway, the strap latencies, for some northbridges, don't 'kick in' until one over the selected strap; so, in other words, setting the clock to 334 guarantees that we're getting the 333 latencies/timings...

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"MCH Core" to 1.200V"
& "DRAM Voltage" to "2.100V" (this should have been done by the earlier "Load Optimized", but needs to be checked...

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Once you have saved and exited, and rebooted once successfully, you can power down, and replace the other two sticks of RAM...

Good luck!

Bill

I just got into the Intergrated Peripherals page and i do not see anything there for Legacy USB storage detect or USB Storage Fuction The only thing that comes close is USB keyboard fuct.(Legacy support for usb keyboard). The other 2 are: USB 1.0 Controller(enabled) and the USB 2.0 Controller(Enabled)
October 17, 2009 7:53:57 PM

I just got into the Intergrated Peripherals page and i do not see anything there for Legacy USB storage detect or USB Storage Fuction The only thing that comes close is USB keyboard fuct.(Legacy support for usb keyboard). The other 2 are: USB 1.0 Controller(enabled) and the USB 2.0 Controller(Enabled)
October 17, 2009 8:10:56 PM

My Mobo is rev 1.6
October 17, 2009 8:24:07 PM

FOUND IT (DID NOT SCROLL DOWN ENOUGH)
October 18, 2009 2:07:56 AM

Hi,
I did everything to your specs in the Bios. The computer came on and I rebooted and added the other 2 sticks of ram. Windows came up okay. When I went into the windows comfiguration and tried to edit my start up programs, I came up with the same blue screen error: Memory Management error and the blue screen.

Should the standard timing control be left at auto in the Bios?

I cannot understand why I can install some driversand programs and not others, nor update them.

Also, I had to set the dram voltage in the Bios at 2.1. It would not default to that.

When I did this letter on word pad a few minutes ago, and went to copy and paste, I came up with a Bad_Pool_Header error and the computer shut down.

So I am now writing this on my lab top and this is were I am now.
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 3:16:35 AM

Once you've done a "Load Optimized Defaults", the memory parameters should be good (and depending on the northbridge and BIOS, it often does not adjust the RAM voltage...), but it's not guaranteed, and there are some adjustments we can make that will help... Gotta do that tomorrow, though - I just posted this to someone else:

" tonight, I gotta take a big handfull of painpills and hypnotics, as I've gotten new dentures recently, and have some horrendously painful sores on my gums - getting to the point where I'm thinking about using a pair of sidecutters to remove my tongue, so it'll quit irritating the damn sores!!! :cry:  "

In the meantime, go here:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.is...
to download MemTest86+, which will unzip to an .iso file; burn the iso to CD to create a bootable, comprehensive memory tester - we'll want it tomorrow...

Don't worry - we'll get 'er cooking - that's really good RAM - it's just sometimes a chore to get four sticks working (and, the oddest thing is, it's usually quite a bit more of a chore to get 4x1 to work than 4x2...)

Bill

October 18, 2009 3:50:18 AM

I have the memtest86 on a disk

I don't know the best solution for me and my PC, but the best solution for you right now is: 5oz of Canadian Club + 1/4oz of sweet vermouth =A GOOD DRINK
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 1:27:58 PM

Bilbat, although I favor the whiskey-soak method myself at times, there is a product that can help a lot.

Orajel makes a single product different from their other 'caine-type pain relievers, called Mouth Sore Medicine. It not only relieves the pain but treats the sores with an antibiotic. Can be found only at certain drugstores mixed in with the other dozen plain anesthetic gels.

Also get some oral antibiotics or take some if you have some now. The dentist can call them in easily enough, just have to ask.

I suffered for years with progressively worse dental problems, including broken teeth and nasty abscesses. Finally began to just pull and post a few and grind down and cap the rest. There's actually likely a relationship between my dental problems cropping up suddenly 10 years ago and my heart problems resulting in 95-100% blockage of my coronary arteries 3 years ago at age 47. So now I've spent my savings on new teeth, had open-heart surgery - and can smile when folks ask why I'm still driving that old van!
October 18, 2009 2:14:50 PM

Good Morning
I am back into my old bios settings. If you want to see them you can send me your e mail address. I can send you pics of them. Mine is geojo12@citlink.net
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 2:27:58 PM

bilbat@wi.rr.com
October 18, 2009 2:33:57 PM

I will send them now
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 5:02:36 PM

Got 'em - will take me a bit to go through them...
October 18, 2009 6:29:50 PM

Good, We're having a birthday party this afternoon for our youngest daughter(38yrs.old)
this afternoon. They probably won't be gone til around 6 or so.
!