trevster

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Hello, can anyone tell me how i should go about setting up my bios settings with my Zotac NVidia GeForce 256mb graphics card?
If i start a game such as Far Cry or Crysis it loads and begins to play but keeps stalling every few seconds, I've tried a few different things and just can't seem to correct it.
I've reset the bios to default settings, uninstalled graphics card and reinstalled using original installation disc supplied with it, i downloaded newest driver updates from NVidia and still no improvement.
My motherboard is Soltek with AMIbios, chipset- Via etc...
If anyone can suggest anything i can provide all details of my motherboard if needed? or if anyone has a manual that would be great. thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'm no game person but what are the graphics requirements for these games? Is your GPU with only 256MBs of RAM enough to run it without stalling?

You mention the motherboard but seems like the problems you're having are those folks have when the video can't keep up with what it's being pushed with.

I would research Crysis for example, see what's needed. I would this on one site:

Minimum Requirements
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)

Recommended Requirements
CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
RAM: 1.5Gb

I don't know enough about video cards to know what those cards have however.

trevster

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for your reply.
I found that the problem is down to either motherboard setup or my graphics card is faulty.
When i enter NVidia's control panel it comes up with "adjust image settings with preview" with a revolving symbol of NVidia, the symbol has lines going through it and however i try to adjust settings there's no improvement.
Any info on what i can try next would be great.
Thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, I'm glad that you're confident that you've tracked down the problem to the BIOS or a faulty graphics card, but I'm not convinced.

You have a 6 year old motherboard from a maker who is no longer in business. You have a Socket A processor which is very slow by today's standards.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hw/2175/Soltek_SL-KT600-R/SL-KT600-RL/

If you got the graphics card at the same time, it's unlikely that it will perform well with a game currently popular and often mentioned as benefitting from the addition of newer GPUs. And with only a AGP slot for a graphics card, you're quite limited in upgrading the video.

If you post the model and specs of your of your video card it might help someone to advise you on this problem.
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100025&lang=en