Do we really need these next gen flagship cards?

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I was thinking about the gt 300 and how I can not wait till it comes out since I am planning to get a new computer towards the end of the year. I was thinking though... what games are going to really use the extra power of this card? I mean, barely any games can slow down the gtx 295. The only game is crysis. at 1920x1200 Very High, 4xAA, 8XAF a gtx 295 gets 29.6 FPS. SLI gets 56 FPS. On far cry 2 a single GTX 295 gets over 80 FPS on max settings.

So why would we need a more powerful card? When you can just buy a gtx 295 or a gtx 280 3x sli which is even better than quad gtx295. I know that the enthusiasts will always want the most powerful stuff, but bottom line it comes down to what games are going to use this power? The answer is crysis... barely.

I would think Nvidia and ATI are a little worried about this. There are only few games made now that are PC exclusive. Most are ports from consoles now and we all know consoles are not nearly as powerful so we get shmit on graphics wise. Think about it. What if there was no Crysis? Do you know how much hardware that computer game has sold?

What PC gaming needs is Crysis 2. Or something that will push the graphics envelope. I was thinking Rage and Doom 4 would do it, but i doubt it since they are also being made for the xbox and ps3. I did some research on the engine it will use the id Tech 5.... does not impress me much at all. :sleep: Also, I have heard that the new Cry engine will be used for consoles :pt1cable:

So do we really need these next gen flagship cards that Nvidia and ATI will be coming out with? How will they sell these things when no game will use its power. Or is this a good thing that PC gaming is starting to slow down technology wise?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Do we eevr need a new Gen's flagship models? Probably not. Gaems always lag behind. I don't see much difference this time around than before. Eventually games will come out that require more power, jsut a matter of time.

Theres been more times than not the flagships just eke by in the most demanding games than not. I know the console thing has put a damper on this, but it seems a few things are changing, which will allow for more Crysis like games, or more HW challenging type games. DX11 and W7 will play a large part in this, as the coding becomes better/easier for devs, and game dev, as the new DX will be more mature, and is heading towards a lessor demanding HW/fixed scenario, and more a SW based one.

If we want more Crysis type games, we need better cards

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
How come no other games are made with the cry engine???? Just the fact the game is made with that engine would get it a lot of attention.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Because, for as pretty as it is, it is a crippled, inefficient engine. Noone in their right minds will use it. Crytek has already put it to bed and will use the third itteration for the crysis sequals.

Agreed, the only reason Crysis brings computers to their knees is because the coding is crap IMHO, and this was kind of proven with Warhead which looks the same but runs on a lot less horsepower.

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
A big reason why its takes so much to run Crysis well is because of the view distance. Most shooters are indoors. So they have to compute what? 1 room a few tables and chairs? Where as how many trees and stuff does Crysis have to render?

BTW I heard that the new crytek engine will be made for consoles as well. Kinda like Farcry 2 and Dead space and countless others. Is this true. If so wouldnt "crysis 2" have worse graphics than the first one? lol

So why did Crysis: Warhead not have the same issues then?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well, warhead works better but I certainly wouldn't say it was without issue...

Also, the worst level as far as crysis goes was that damn memory leak in the last level. A relatively simple, low distance, clutter free boss fight that grinds everything to a crawling halt (assuming it doesnt crash). I'm sure the draw distnace hit performance.. but the big problems were not the large outdoor levels, they were the bugs.

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Bah I was right... I looked up cryengine 3 on youtube and it is for the consoles. Looks decent. That is crazy they can put anything close to crysis on a console. So I am guessing cryengine 3 is solely for consoles.

Hmm, I don't recall having any issues with Warhead, it ran quite smooth and looked the same, quality wise, as Crysis.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
It's not justgames that will drive more need for upper mid-range to top of th eline GPUs. If you've been paying attention, over the last 9 months, LCD monitor prices are dropping like crazy. Soon (maybe a year?) Dell, HP, will make the 24" standard size and newer cheaper models of 27', 28"monitors will become affordable and there you go, even casual gamers will be playing at 2560 x 1600 and since the picture is that much larger you'll want quality AA settings for extra eye candy! Whew!

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well, they had to do it to make money. It is not jsut for consoles though, it will be on PC's as well. It is far more variable than cryengine 2 though. So it shoudl ahve a larger gambit of settings, and actualyl work well...

As for warhead mouse, it works far better to the origional and has very few of the same bugs.. but it still takes a beast of a machine to play at enthusiast settings with AA on. I'm sure games coudl be made to look as good with far less of a drain on a modern computer.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well, I'd like to think that the pixel size will decrease with the resolution increase. Eventually we won't need AA at all!! But ya, I agree... As people start to play at higher resolutions we are gonn aneed some beasts of cards... Crysis quality graphics at 2560 x 1600 as "mainstream" will be interesting :D

Yeah, you have a point there, I just don't see my gaming rig as being much of a 'beast' but then in another thread I have been reminded that a pair of 8800GT's will trade blows with a GTX280, which is not bad for a pair of cards that are a year and a half old I reckon.

Ahh, the voice of reason. [:mousemonkey:5]

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
You also need to look at this is terms of CUDA, Fusion, etc... if they actually harness the software to utilize a GPU, there will be a very good reason to have a high-end GPU, but the way I look at it, with all this new hardware, there will be newer/better software, the game developers will do what they can to make the eye-candy better thus selling a ton of games, wash, rinse, repeat. True gamers use a keyboard and mouse. Consoles offer minimum uberness.