(MY) WIN7 RC Performance review

Hey all hope u are fine :)

Well i downloaded WIN 7 RC x64 and i decided to post my idea and benchmarks for it,but as some of you may know,when i first installed it,it gave me a horrible performance in gaming and here is the link that how much problems i had with it but i decided to do a clean install and deleted the files that i thought they were the reason for this bad performance and now all i can say is WOW :)

Before i post the benchmarks let me talk about the OS itself.

First of all the installation was pretty easy and faster than both XP and VISTA 64 SP1.
Also the boot surprised me alot,it booted faster than both VISTA and XP which is great.

So lets get to the benchmarks :)

PC Specs:
Intel Core2Quad Q6600@ 3.4
Sapphire HD 4870X2
OCZ 4GB DDR2 800 RAM with 4-4-4-15 timings
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA X38 Motherboard
SEAGATE 500GB 7200 RPM HDD(With 32MB cache)
LG W2452V Monitor with 1920x1200 resolution
Catalyst version : 9.5(For WIN 7 RC X64) and 9.4(For VISTA ULTIMATE SP1 X64)

"ALL OF THIS PICTURES ARE TAKEN WHEN PLAYING IN WINDOWS 7"

3D MARK 06 (1280x1024 resolution)
Windows XP 32: 19500
Windows 7 RC X64: 19240
VISTA ULTIMATE SP1 X64: 18900

Crysis

Note: I use 2 great configs for Crysis and Crysis warhead which are CCC 2.1 (For crysis) and CCC 3.0(For warhead) which gives the game a more realistic look and will increase your FPS too :)

W7 RC x64 settings:
I used the latest Patch (1.2.1) for this game+ I ran it in 32bit mode.
Game settings used:CCC Level 5 + 0xAA
Resolution: 1920x1080
Map tested: "Island"

VISTA Ultimate SP1 X64 settings:
I used the Patch 1.2 for this game but i ran it in 64bit mode.
Game settings ued: CCC Level 5 + 0xAA
Resolution:1920x1080
Map tested: "Island"

All i can say is WOW really,i never played Crysis as smooth as i played it on Win7 i got about 2-8 more FPS than VISTA (depending on the scene) and it was really awesome,i enjoyed playing it :)

Crysis Warhead

Windows 7 RC x64 settings:
No patches used
Game settings:CCC Level4+ (Warhead doesnt have Level 5 )
Resolution:1920x1080
Map tested: "Ambush"

Windows VISTA Ultimate SP1 X64 settings:
No patches used.
Game settings:CCC Level 4+
Resolution: 1920x1080
Map tested: "Ambush"

Like Crysis i got about 2-8 FPS more in Windows 7,i've chosen a scene in this level and i always test it when i want to see how much my FPS has improved(Its exactly from the second game save to where some jets come and drop bombs)
As an example,my minimum FPS in this scen was 21 with Windows VISTA but it was 29 with Windows 7,pretty much like Crysis this game ran smoother and i enjoyed playing this one too :)

STALKER CLEAR SKY

Settings used in both OS:
I used the 1.5.0.7 patch for testing
Render:Full enhanced dynamic lightning (DX 10)
Quality:Maximum
0xAA
DX10.1
I used 2 great mods for thie game too: One is "Better depth of field" and the other one is "God rays"

My FPS was nearly the same in both OS,i got about 2 FPS more in Windows 7 RC.

FarCry2:
I didn't play the game i just ran the benchmark tool with this settings(Same for both OS)
Resolution: 1920x1200
Ultra high quality
DX10

Now this one is a little different compared to other games tested,i "LOST" exactly 2 FPS in Windows 7 compared to VISTA,but as i said its just the benchmark tool i didn't test the game play.

Windows 7 RC X64:
Average:59.98
Maximum:92.46
Minimum:39.91

Windows VISTA Ultimate SP1 X64:
Average: 61.71 FPS
Maximum:94.77 FPS
Minimum:41.36 FPS

Conclusion:
In the games that i tested(With the exception of FarCry 2 which i only used the bechmark tool)i was really happy with the way it performed,my main FPS increase was in "Minimum FPS" which is great and allows to have a better and smoother gameplay.
Overall i am pretty happy with this OS,and i will buy the final version defenitely.

So i hoped you guys/girls liked this review:)

Good job Maziar. Nice review, and its what we should all be looking towards, with DX11 to top it all off.
@ mmonkey, good question. Is the Gddr being used , or being used twice, like the older system, great question. I havnt tried W7 yet

I too have the pukka RC from MS, not the dodgy botnet infected one from the P2P, and on the system info page it states 4.0 RAM and in brackets 3.20 available and no matter what I couldn't get the system to use any more, but with Vista 64 it states 4.0 RAM and I can get the RAM usage to 3.6 - 3.7 fairly easily. So why won't W7 64 let me do the same. [:mousemonkey:2]

Ive heard about this before. If I refind it, Ill post back. Not sure there was a solution tho, as I think it was mentioned in a different thread concerning a different topic altogether, hope I find it, and theres a solution

That one works, cheers. And you seem to have a similar issue as in 4GB of RAM installed but only 2.90 being used, what do you have showing on the W7 control -> system page?
this is my Vista version I know but in W7 it looks pretty much the same except the Memory RAM shows as 4.00 GB with 3.20 available in brackets.

He'll never get over what that 'copyright' thing cost him. Add in the 18 billion loss He took last year and you can understand why he feels compelled to give you a dissappointing non cumlative score. Deal with the low point :lol:

billgatesinjail29709.jpg