First System Built-Question about CPU and RAM speeds

kmtallon

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
System:
E5200
GA-EP43-UD3L
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
HIS Hightech H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Turbo 512MB
Antec earthwatts EA500 500W
other parts re-used from old system

Forgive me if this is a stupid noob question. I just built this system and am unsure about the CPU speed and RAM speed. My CPU frequency was showing up as 1.7 rather than 2.5. I turned off speedstep by disabling EIST and C1E and figured that would change it, but it still said 1.7. I can manually change the speed, but it doesn't seem like that should be necessary. Is there something, I'm missing that would turn down the CPU speed? My BIOS version is F2, and the E5200 is supported. I'm less worried about my RAM issue, because I don't think it will make that big of a difference, but I'm wondering if the issues are related. My RAM is showing up as DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). I did change the timings but haven't changed the voltage, which I probably need to do because it defaults at 1.8 V, but the RAM says 2.0-2.1 V. I am new at this and have been doing a lot of reading, but from what I understand, in order to get the ram to run at 1066, I would need to overclock my CPU since it's FSB is only 800. The default CPU host frequency seems to be 266, but for a CPU with a FSB of 800, it should be 200, right? However, to use RAM that is 1066 Mhz, I would need it to be set at 266. I'm not real comfortable changing things around in the BIOS yet, but I am learning. I'd like to get it running at stock, with as little manipulation as possible, then as I get more comfortable try doing some overclocking. Any help is appreciated, and if there are any stickies I have missed that address this, please point me to them. Thanks.

Oakley707

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
It may be a simple multiplier change. I know when I first installed my E8400 it was running @ 2.66 Ghz instead of 3 because of an old firmware. You can either change the firmware, or juts change the multiplier yourself.

As far as the RAM questions regarding running @ 1066 you are correct. You would have to overclock to get the RAM running at those speeds. Make sure to increase the voltage to your RAM it will help stability even at lower speeds.

kmtallon

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for the input. Yes, the multiplier was set at 8.5 instead of 12.5 like it should have been. However, I realized I was on "Fail Safe Defaults" rather than "Optimized Defaults". That simple change made the multiplier correct. Duh. I thought I'd put that out there is case any other newbie missed something just as obvious.

You don't need to overclock the CPU to get the RAM running at DDR2 1066. There is a memory multiplier just like the CPU multiplier for setting the RAM/FSB ratio. You just need to pick the multiplier that puts your RAM at 1066. You will also need to manually set the RAM voltage to 2.1v. Pressing "Ctrl + F1" when you get into the BIOS will unlock some settings.

kmtallon

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

Ok, thanks. I will check that out.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Some motherboards don't have the mulitplier unless you update the bios. I'm really not 100% sure about that board...but it should still have the option for memory ratio as suggested ^_^