Need an 8-pin PCI-E Adapter? Make one!

prochobo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
So I got a 9800GX2 with 2 power connections and I didn't have an 8 pin adapter. I tried looking online to see if using 2x 6 pin connectors would be fine, but I couldn't find much. Finally I tried making an 8-pin adapter and it works perfectly!

Source: How to make 8-pin PCI-E Connector

First, take an old ATX connector (or similar) and cut off two pins from the end using a Dremel.

img_0984-medium.jpg

img_0983-medium.jpg

Cut the wires of the two pin connector down and strip them:

img_0991-medium.jpg

Now, instead of wiring these extra two pins directly to my power supply, I decided to wire it up to a spare adapter I had to avoid canabalizing my Power PC & Cooling 510. You could wire directly to your power supply, but you would end up making permament modifications (explained later). I ended up using a 2x 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter I had laying around.

img_0989-medium.jpg

Strip each of the black wires (ground) somewhere in the middle.

img_0990-medium.jpg

Solder the wires from the two pin connector to the exposed wires you just stripped. NOTE: I said solder, but you can get away with electrical tape; however, that’s the lazy way, which is more apt to fail.

img_0992-medium.jpg

Then, just cover the solder points with electrical tape and tape the two pin connector to the 6 pin PCI-E connector and VOILA! Your new 8 pin PCI-E adapter is finished! It would be a good idea to test fit your new plug before attaching the two connectors together.

img_0993-medium.jpg

Lastly, everyone wants to know, “Does it work?”
Heck yes it works! And it fits like a glove.

img_1000-custom.jpg

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
My graphics card deserves better than that :p

But good job anyways :lol: that's some really creative stuff. I'd just buy an adapter, seeing how I can already afford a monstrous card that needs that much power. I guess you could also use an 8 pin cpu connector if your mobo only takes 4... or the extras on a 24atx plug if the mobo isn't taking the extra 4 (like my P4).

I shoulda kept my old psu that failed... I'm so stupid, coulda used those wires, or dissected a psu for fun.

Just curious, why are there 3 pins missing from the atx plug? :na: I know there's one pin missing in newer psu's, but 3 missing?