4870 x2 performance is not what it should be

destram25

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I have a 4870x2. I paid a lot of cash for this and I am so far disappointed. For example, when running in GTA 4, I am getting frames under 20. With this graphics card I should be able to max out the graphic with no hiccups!
I'm also having a problem with updating the display driver. Whenever I try to, it will say something like "failed to load detection driver" or it will download and stay at version 8.6 (instead of the 9.4 I tried to download).

Could it have something to do with my sound card (a Creative Labs Audigy)? I also have problems updating that, because there is no drivers out there for it.
My CPU is an E8400(@ 3.6ghz) and in games like Prince of Persia, CoD 5(single player), GTA 4, and Dead Space it will run at 80%-100% throughout the game. I never had problems with this CPU on my old build.

My Spec:
CPU: E8400(@3.6ghz) btw, it shows 3.6ghz in BIOS, but not in windows. it says 3.0ghz (2 cores) ~ 3.0ghz in dxdiag
Motherboard: ASUS rampage formula (BIOS date 4/03/08 Ver: 08.00.12)
Memory: Mushkin 4gigs
Graphics Card: 4870x2
PSU: 1000w antec

Also*** I have that Fallout 3 problem( Fallout 3 has stopped working.)

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Have you carefully removed the old drivers? Vista 64 bit could be a problem with a HD4870 X2 , but so far I haven't heard any with it.

destram25

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
in CCC information it says:
Driver Packaging Version: 8.6
Catalyst version: 9.4

in Device Manager it says:
Display adapters:
Ati radeon HD 4870 x2
Ati radeon HD 4870 x2 (yes there are two under the tab)
driver date: 3/16/09
driver version: 8.6

and yes. on most games i think i should be getting alot more frames

Specifics? What games do you think it is underperforming in, and what numbers are you getting?

It's no surprise that GTA4 runs terribly - from what I know, you need a quad to really run that game well.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
1. First of all GTA IV is optomized for quad core CPUs and a simple way to know if your duo is holding back the GPUs is to monitor the GPU temps, if they turn out to be less than in other demanding games (as Crysis), then a quad will solve your problem.
2. As for the sound card, it can be the cause. You can easily disable it and use tha on-board audio chip, and see if that helps.
3. Try using driver cleaner or driver sweeper in safe mode prior to installing the new driver to rule out the rare case of driver conflict.
4. As for windows showing the default CPU clock only, it's normal..Use CPU-Z or better rivatuner monitoring tool to see the real time clock.

destram25

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I fell better about it now :).
I guess I'll buy the new core i7. but what motherboard should i get? I'll save that for later.

thanks for the help

oh and asus boards don't come with onboard sound, at least that what I think...correct me if I'm wrong

destram25

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
also when i try to configurate things in GTA 4 it says i have 1100MB available. Now I don't know what that number is for, but I think its for the graphics card. The 4870 x2 has 2GBs of memory...

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
1. A simple way to see if your mobo has an audio chip (which I'm 90% sure it does) is to look at the back I/O panel, I believe you'll see 6 audio jacks ( 8-channel HD audio). If you don't see that, the card may have come with an audio rizer, i.e a small card bearing the audio codec (chip) that should be installed to the 1st slot, which normally is 4x in ASUS mobos..Check your mobo manual.
2. For your card and all the multiple GPU solutions the data in the video ram is redundant, so as Euphoria said, it's 1 Gb per GPU, think of the other 1 Gb as amirror image for the 1st one..This is just how it works, completely normal.
3. If you can afford them, ASUS P6T or P6T deluxe are solid performers and good choices, but with all honesty I think it'll be better for you to buy a new core 2 quad and drop it into your current system if you're so anxious to play this game at maximum res/ settings.