FREERAVEN

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
So i am working on my first build my mobo is in the mail, i am reading the online manual Gigabyte x58 ud5. My question is, and it may be a stupid one but i simply dont know.... What does the 8 pin ATX 12v connector supply power to that the 24 pin atx main supply does not? are they both in fact needed here or is this an option based on different setups? for some reason i dont want to plug in the 8 pin and i dont know why, some type of ocd compulsion to not plug it in! " am i crazy."

Solution
Reliability and efficiency dictate that the power get to the CPU by the shortest route possible. Running all that current thru the teeny little pathways in your MoBo is wasteful and risky. See page 28 of your manual. The 920 is 130 watts, only 5 watts bless than the 'extreme" CPU noted in your manual.
Reliability and efficiency dictate that the power get to the CPU by the shortest route possible. Running all that current thru the teeny little pathways in your MoBo is wasteful and risky. See page 28 of your manual. The 920 is 130 watts, only 5 watts bless than the 'extreme" CPU noted in your manual.

Solution

FREERAVEN

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
AH yes i remember reading that now! Thank you for that quick slap in the back of my head.. I gues i would have found out when i flipped the old switch and nothing happened! Then i could have posted a " is my mobo broke" question...

FREERAVEN

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
ahh notice the first sentence, "first" build . Glad to see you read the question! I decided to no longer be a silly consumer and pretend that pc's were magic box's that made things happen through the magic of pixie dust that was so obviously expensive to procure. So i have been reading and learning for about a year, just as a past time mostly while i sit at work avoiding the shallow and desperately sad facebook pastime that sooo many people are stuck in. I learned that i am very interested and fully capable of enjoying this as a hobby now that my RC aircraft and helicopters and playstation and ect ect ect have grown boring. I ordered my first set of parts and they sent me everthing but the MOBO so as you can imagine i was ecstatic that i had a box with everything i needed except exactly the most important part i needed. But it should arrive any day now and i can stumble my way through the bios and raid array's and drivers and overclocking and my fancy sound activated cathodes and pretend i dont miss smoking an ounce of marijuana every day all day long ! THANKS badge and jack it was a toss up for the best answer badge got here first straight to the point but jack pulled it out with a little more info!

TRENDING THREADS