Sign in with
Your question

Bios resets on P5Q PRO

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2009 10:03:08 PM

A problem has been happening a few times on start up and I will try to get you the symptoms as best I can describe. Yesterday when I started up my computer, it came to a screen I had never seen before. It said press F1 to enter bios settings or F2 to restore defaults. I hit F1 and any changes that I had made had already been reset to default. So I exited and started up and everything seemed ok. I had left the computer on and went back to it later and it was shut down. I started it up and it froze when the windows XP screen logo was just coming up. I restarted again and it came up the that same screen about the bios being reset. I have also noticed that there is a new loud humming noise that sometimes kicks in at start up and if I restart it goes away. At this point, maybe 1 in 3 start ups will freeze up on the XP logo and always go back to the bios reset screen. Any ideas what could be causing this or anything I should test to get you some more info? Thanks so much!

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q PRO (1 year old)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (1 year old (overclocked to 3.6 until yesterday))
Power Supply: Antec TruePower 2.0 (4 years old)
RAM: 4GB mushkin DDR800 (1 year old)
GPU: 8800GT 512MB (2 years old)

If you need any more specs, let me know!

More about : bios resets p5q pro

October 18, 2009 6:28:01 AM

I have the same board and have to say the only time I have made that screen come up is when I was pushing it to the limit. Looking at your specs you seemed to be really pushing the CPU on that board. Not to say that its a bad board but I think you pushed the limit on it. I got Q6600 2.4 and when I went for 3.4 or 3.6 it was not stable, I found a sweet spot around 3.0 - 3.2...

Few things to consider. Upgrade the Bios (2104) new version I think... Don't OC that CPU so much... seriously..
Reset the Bios to normal setting then do a stress test on it..

But honesty I think you pushed that OC a little to much.
m
l
October 18, 2009 6:32:27 AM

On the other hand it could be few other things...

Your memory timing, FSB... Vcore... and so on... do a few different settings and run a stress test. see what you come up with...

That is a good CPU and I know people that are running it at 4.0 with no problem.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2009 2:33:26 PM

This was my first time OC. I got some help from a friend and did daily tests on the cpu for the first week. Temps seemed fine and stable. have had no problems for more than a year at those levels. At this point it is back to default settings so the CPU is back to 3.0 and it still is having problems. Could I have permanently damaged the CPU?

I never made any changes to vcore or memory timing. I just increased the FSB to 400.

When I get home I will run some tests. Again I am new to this and it's been a while. What is the best test software to download? Thanks!
m
l
October 18, 2009 10:24:34 PM

Try Prime95, Memtest, Pie... you can find those online. The posibility is there that the cpu is damaged but also could be the board or memory. Try clearing the RTC RAM (3-pin CLRTC) Its inbetween PCI1 and PCI2. If you can't find it its in your owners on page 2-2. Move it from left to right and select the first and second pins. Leave it there for about a min but unplug the power cord from the PSU first. That should totaly clear out everything. See how that works first and let me know.
m
l
October 18, 2009 10:28:51 PM

and do a bios upgrade use the ASUSupdate... should be on the cd that came with the motherboard. I think I said it was 2104 but its 2102 the latest bios
m
l
October 19, 2009 1:31:09 PM

Hi,

one hardware in the pc cannot live with your overclock anymore.

Set everything stock and run some tests (prime95, memtest, etc).

Brad
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:29:59 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have not had a chance to deal with this until recently. I managed to update my BIOS and it seemed to do the trick. Everything the way it was, holding steady after tests and no more error messages. Thanks!
m
l
!