Quad or duo

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Most games do not currently use more than 2 cores, so a dual core w/ higher clock speed can beat a quad core w/ lower clock speed. Again though, this will change in the future as soon as software catches up. If you plan on using this computer for a few years w/o upgrading the cpu any time soon, get the quad.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

If his parents won't let him build a computer, I doubt they will let him overclock one. Older folks think overclocking is evil..... lol

mattkk

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I would go for the E7400 because its higher clocked than the quad and it will run all the latest games with ease (plus it would overclock fairly well). However if you are thinking ahead to the future maybe the quad is the better option, who knows.

Bottom line though - I wouldn't invest too much into a socket 775 system anyway, theres no upgrade possibilites and you will be annoyed a year down the road I bet you when you wan't to upgrade your cpu and you can't. If that site has any am3 systems, grab one, as it will allow upgrades for atleast the next 3 years no doubt.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I don't think he will be able to upgrade in 2 year from now because it will be very hard to find a core 2 quad. So he should buy now a good quad to be sure that 3-4 year he will play games without problems (from the CPU point of view).