Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P7P55D pro problems

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2009 10:23:20 PM

Hey all, i've used the said motherboard in my first build and the Ethernet port keeps failing. At first i realized it was because I hadn't installed the motherboard support CD properly so i did that and it worked for about a day... until we got a power surge... (the modem and computer are both connected via power surge boxes tho). at first i thought we had no internet so i tested my laptop and the wireless worked fine and the wired was "no internet access" but nothing at all on the computer with the motherboard. After ringing my isp (no luck) and installing a windows 7 32 bit RC cd i had sitting round then re installing the motherboard support CD... still no luck. I've been reading online and have a suspicion.... you don't think it could be that i've connected the powersupply to the motherboard with an 8 pin not 4 pin (half of it came covered on the motherboard but in the motherboard manual it said to use 8 so yeah...)??
Thanks all,
Jared
October 18, 2009 10:22:42 AM

The MB manufactureer probably blanked off the other four pins because they are not connected internally - 8/8, 4/4, 8/4 - no difference, the only problem is when you have a four-pin power plug and an 8 pin socket and even then it usually works.
Basically as long as the keyed pins on the plug fit without using excessive force then the right pins are getting the right power. Hang on, you didn't use a .. hammer..did you??

Can you actually see the ethernet port in the PC hardware manager?

Stuart
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 9:30:33 PM

1847989,2,62687 said:
The MB manufactureer probably blanked off the other four pins because they are not connected internally...

Never say that.

The other 4 pins were covered for the pupose of idiots. It's called idiot-proofing. You should use 8-pins, especially if overclocking, but you can use 4-pins in most builds.

The cover was put over the four extension pins so that anyone using a crappy power supply would know which holes to put their four-pin connector into. That keeps them from trying to force it into the wrong holes.

We shouldn't give advice to anyone who has an 8-pin connector other than "throw away the 4-pin cover and pretend it's not there", because telling them why its there (to unconfuse 4-pin users) only serves to confuse the 8-pin users.
[/quote]
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2009 3:18:11 AM

Nope can't see the ethernet port in the device manager/ it cant detect any networking hardware
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 4:52:16 AM

jaredofnz said:
Nope can't see the ethernet port in the device manager/ it cant detect any networking hardware

If there are no unknown devices and no networking devices in device manager, the controller is either disabled in BIOS or fried. It has nothing to do with your CPU power connector.
m
l
October 28, 2009 5:00:28 AM

how would a noob go about finding this in BIOS? :sarcastic: 
Thanks for your help
m
l
January 13, 2010 5:57:24 AM

jaredofnz said:
how would a noob go about finding this in BIOS? :sarcastic: 
Thanks for your help

go into the bios and poke around... If your afraid then dont change anything... If you find something you think might be what your looking for... google it. Do some research. It's not all that scary. just read read read!
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 12:57:53 PM

I have the same problem, it was working for a few days then stopped. I new it was the computer as I have two other computers connected to the modem and they are both able to connect to the internet. It started off working more than not, now I can not get a connection at all. Would going out and buying a network card solve the problem.

Thanks

Batsell
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 9:46:33 AM

jaredofnz said:
Hey all, i've used the said motherboard in my first build and the Ethernet port keeps failing. At first i realized it was because I hadn't installed the motherboard support CD properly so i did that and it worked for about a day... until we got a power surge... (the modem and computer are both connected via power surge boxes tho). at first i thought we had no internet so i tested my laptop and the wireless worked fine and the wired was "no internet access" but nothing at all on the computer with the motherboard. After ringing my isp (no luck) and installing a windows 7 32 bit RC cd i had sitting round then re installing the motherboard support CD... still no luck. I've been reading online and have a suspicion.... you don't think it could be that i've connected the powersupply to the motherboard with an 8 pin not 4 pin (half of it came covered on the motherboard but in the motherboard manual it said to use 8 so yeah...)??
Thanks all,
Jared

A surge protector is needed for power connections as well as for telephone lines or other signa-carrying lines such as antenna cables to protect your whole system. Some surge protectors on the market have recepticles for both electrical plugs and phone lines connectors and coaxial cable connectors.

Regards
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 296 V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 2:33:22 PM

Can you ping to 127.0.0.1? If you don't have a reply, you network port is dead.

Also, if you can try with a network card will be helpful to know if the problem is the network ports.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2010 11:49:53 AM

seems to be a common problem whith this moterboard ,the way i fix it was opening the computer and pushing down the thing where the ethernet port is, this way i have it working for a few days ,till the next day i have to repeat the process. but i know someday will never work again.
m
l
!