ASUS P7P55D pro problems

jaredofnz

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hey all, i've used the said motherboard in my first build and the Ethernet port keeps failing. At first i realized it was because I hadn't installed the motherboard support CD properly so i did that and it worked for about a day... until we got a power surge... (the modem and computer are both connected via power surge boxes tho). at first i thought we had no internet so i tested my laptop and the wireless worked fine and the wired was "no internet access" but nothing at all on the computer with the motherboard. After ringing my isp (no luck) and installing a windows 7 32 bit RC cd i had sitting round then re installing the motherboard support CD... still no luck. I've been reading online and have a suspicion.... you don't think it could be that i've connected the powersupply to the motherboard with an 8 pin not 4 pin (half of it came covered on the motherboard but in the motherboard manual it said to use 8 so yeah...)??
Thanks all,
Jared

G

The MB manufactureer probably blanked off the other four pins because they are not connected internally - 8/8, 4/4, 8/4 - no difference, the only problem is when you have a four-pin power plug and an 8 pin socket and even then it usually works.
Basically as long as the keyed pins on the plug fit without using excessive force then the right pins are getting the right power. Hang on, you didn't use a .. hammer..did you??

Can you actually see the ethernet port in the PC hardware manager?

Stuart

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

If there are no unknown devices and no networking devices in device manager, the controller is either disabled in BIOS or fried. It has nothing to do with your CPU power connector.

phrostbyte

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

go into the bios and poke around... If your afraid then dont change anything... If you find something you think might be what your looking for... google it. Do some research. It's not all that scary. just read read read!

G

I have the same problem, it was working for a few days then stopped. I new it was the computer as I have two other computers connected to the modem and they are both able to connect to the internet. It started off working more than not, now I can not get a connection at all. Would going out and buying a network card solve the problem.

Thanks

Batsell

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

A surge protector is needed for power connections as well as for telephone lines or other signa-carrying lines such as antenna cables to protect your whole system. Some surge protectors on the market have recepticles for both electrical plugs and phone lines connectors and coaxial cable connectors.

Regards

G

seems to be a common problem whith this moterboard ,the way i fix it was opening the computer and pushing down the thing where the ethernet port is, this way i have it working for a few days ,till the next day i have to repeat the process. but i know someday will never work again.

TRENDING THREADS